PDA

View Full Version : well, i did it

Mike Minto
10-01-2009, 12:40 PM
have been wanting a lathe with VS (other than my Jet mini) and took the plunge today on Amazon; bought Jet's 110 volt 1642. will be selling the 1624-44, and will post pics when i get the Jet set up. (any current rebates on this?). mike :D

Steve Schlumpf
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Congrats Mike! You will love the new lathe! Looking forward to seeing the photos!

ROY DICK
10-01-2009, 12:45 PM
Way to go there Mike.

Roy

Mike Minto
10-01-2009, 12:51 PM
Way to go there Mike.

Roy

yeah, way to go there...just wait until SWMBO finds out :eek: !. mike

Sean Hughto
10-01-2009, 12:53 PM
Picked up my 1642 this past weekend (ordered it through my local Woodcraft to save shipping and hassle), and am loving it. I dunno if you are a SpongeBob fan(I have a young daughter, so consequently have seen most episodes over time) and will get the reference, but wife and I jokingly refer to the lather as "boaty" as in her post dinner inquiry "are you going to visit boaty now?" For those who are not Spongebob fans, there is an episode where Spongebob finally gets his driver's license (though he shouldn't have), and his parents get him a new boat which he swoons over.

They have everything on the web! Even Spongebob transcripts:

SpongeBob: Hi, Boaty. (he runs his hand on the side of the boat and gasps) Boaty, you’re cold! (he stands up and lays his socks on the side of the door) Take my socks. (he jumps on the side and hugs it) Oh Boaty, I’m always going to take care of you. You’re the best boat in the deep blue sea! (he kisses the throttle lever, sighs, then falls asleep.

Congrats~!

alex carey
10-01-2009, 2:26 PM
congrats, looking forward to the picts.

Dave Halter
10-01-2009, 6:01 PM
Mike,
Congrats! I have the same lathe and really like it. I just received an email from Jet today about their "Workshop Sales Event" and the price listed is the same price Amazon shows. It doesn't mention any current rebates.

Dave

Chris Haas
10-01-2009, 6:08 PM
have the same lathe, you will be happy you got it and saved all that extra money for accessories. good luck.

Walt Caza
10-01-2009, 8:09 PM
Well, call me green...
But I don't know what machine you had?
and I'm not sure what machine you are getting?
but...
Congrats on your new score Mike!
You seem happy about it, so I am too...

Is 1624-44 a Nova lathe?

May I ask what the advantages of the Jet 1642 will be?
I caught the VS= variable speed.
Anything else?

looking for a clue,
Walt

ps Pity me ...
I do not have stores with either of these on display near me
Things is rough all over!

Mike Minto
10-01-2009, 8:55 PM
Walt,

Yes, the 1624-44 is a 'Nova' lathe by a company called Teknatool, out of New Zealand. I have been very happy with the machine, but wanted variable speed and greater weight, which the Jet should provide. Talk to you soon, Mike :p

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2009, 9:54 PM
Congrats on the new lathe Mike. Have fun.

Gary Conklin
10-01-2009, 10:37 PM
Nice, in the big league now! Congrats!! Have a blast.

steven carter
10-02-2009, 2:56 PM
Congratulations Mike, I didn't have 220 to my shop so I got the 110 version also, and have been very pleased, and not had any issues with not having enough power, although I do not own a coring device.

Steve

Steve Schlumpf
10-02-2009, 6:33 PM
Mike - you have some idea of a delivery date? Must feel a lot like waiting for Santa to arrive...

Looking forward to the pictures!

Eugene Wigley
10-02-2009, 6:59 PM
Congrats on the new lathe. I'm sure you will enjoy it.

Mike Minto
10-02-2009, 7:31 PM
Mike - you have some idea of a delivery date? Must feel a lot like waiting for Santa to arrive...

Looking forward to the pictures!

Steve,

Shipped today, supposed to get here by the 12th, but Amazon usually delivers before the scheduled date. Hope! mike