PDA

View Full Version : Planer Tip

Tom Winship
10-01-2009, 12:19 PM
I have an old Makita 2012 Planer with the stationary head and movable table. It has served me well for probably 20 years. Recently I was having to almost push some boards through. Took it to a service place, and they and Makita scratched their heads, cleaned it up without finding anything wrong. It worked slightly better, but quickly got as bad as ever.
On the verge of buying a newer one, today I just rubbed Gulfwax Parrafin on the table. Removed 1/4" from RS mesquite for about an hour and it never hesitated. Does anyone see anything wrong with this as far as contaminating the wood?

Rod Sheridan
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
I have an old Makita 2012 Planer with the stationary head and movable table. It has served me well for probably 20 years. Recently I was having to almost push some boards through. Took it to a service place, and they and Makita scratched their heads, cleaned it up without finding anything wrong. It worked slightly better, but quickly got as bad as ever.
On the verge of buying a newer one, today I just rubbed Gulfwax Parrafin on the table. Removed 1/4" from RS mesquite for about an hour and it never hesitated. Does anyone see anything wrong with this as far as contaminating the wood?

Hi Tom, I normally use paste wax on my jointer and planer with good results.

I've never had a contamination problem.

Felder sell a product called "Super Gleit" (or something similar) that you spray on the tables.

Regards, Rod.

mickey cassiba
10-01-2009, 1:33 PM
The guys in our specialty shop use clear silicon spray on the jointer, table saws and planers. They have never had any problems with it. Not a tool lubricant, mind you, straight silicon.
Mickey

Myk Rian
10-01-2009, 4:13 PM
Mickey;
I'll bet you get a lot of people saying "I would never use silicon on my tools" in this thread.

Lee Schierer
10-01-2009, 4:26 PM
Using silicone on a table saw, jointer or planer may work, it probably comes off in subsequent sanding operations, but I wouldn't advise it as silicone does interfere with many finishes.

Paste wax achieves the same result without the risk of contamination.

glenn bradley
10-01-2009, 5:00 PM
Johnson's Paste Wax here.

Steve Jenkins
10-01-2009, 6:30 PM
Not just the planer but anything you slide wood across. Jointer,table saw,router table, circ saw and router bases, etc. Makes things a bunch easier and safer

Harold Burrell
10-01-2009, 10:39 PM

OK...this is a tad spooky...

I too own a Makita 2012. And, I too had trouble with feeding. Today, in fact. For the first time.

I REALLY appreciate the tip.

(((Twilight Zone music playing softly in the background)))