PDA

View Full Version : LN Screwdrivers - How useful?

Joe Close
10-01-2009, 11:45 AM
I'm curious, how many of you guys/gals, are using the LN screwdrivers?

I can see how the hollow ground tips fit a screw better, but are they really needed? And I can understand the usefulness of a Split-nut screwdriver, that is kind of a unique tool for s special situation.

Any thoughts on the subject would be appreciated.

Sean Hughto
10-01-2009, 11:46 AM
Like most things LN, I have a few, and would like more.

Eric DeSilva
10-01-2009, 12:17 PM
I like my screws with square drive heads, so until LN starts making a Robertson screwdriver...

Richard Niemiec
10-01-2009, 12:26 PM
Honestly, I've yet to understand the need for a 'premium' screwdriver set that costs $200, no matter what the configuration.

Agreed, the split nut one has some appeal, but Mike W's idea of making one from an old Irwin Speedbore drill bit has a lot more appeal for me. One of these days I'm gonna make one.

Joe Close
10-01-2009, 12:31 PM
I like my screws with square drive heads, so until LN starts making a Robertson screwdriver...

Then LN screw drivers are for use on the LN tools.

Mike Brady
10-01-2009, 4:30 PM
LN screw drivers are made to exactly fit their screws. The slotted ones are made for the wider-than-standard slots in the depth adjuster, frog and handle screws. The one for the cap iron screw is particularly useful. The varied lengths are job specific also. None of these fit Stanley screws well, although I have made drivers similar to the LN scredrivers that fit Phillips, Stanley, and square drive screws. I will try to get a photo to show these here later. Ultimately, I will have a full set that works for almost any application that a speed-drive bit is made to handle.

Rye Crane
10-01-2009, 4:43 PM
Joe,

Yes, they are made specifically for the LN products. I buggered up a brass screw on a tote once with a standard flat screwdriver that wasn't quite the same size as the screw slot. Hated looking at it, replaced it with a new one and ordered the LN screwdriver set. They look really nice in my hand tool case and work as advertised. No more problems.

Rye Crane
Pittsburg, CA.

Tony Zaffuto
10-01-2009, 5:10 PM
I can't see paying that kind of money for screwdrivers. If you want a hollow ground set, get some gunsmith's drivers--Chapmans is one that comes to mind. Screwdrivers are also easy to make (even easier if you have a mill:D). I've made more than a few, including straight and slotted for split nuts.

Howeever, it is hard to resist the LN allure!

Joel Goodman
10-01-2009, 5:12 PM
Gunsmith's screwdrivers come in many sizes and have the parallel sides so they don't chew up the screws -- a set of Chapmans (available from Brownells) is $30 or so and while not as pretty as the LNs will keep your screws pristine.

Tony -- I see you got there first!

Sean Hughto
10-01-2009, 5:16 PM
I'm sort of surprised by this reactions in this thread. The LN screwdrivers are not that expensive. Each one is in the $25 range. I doubt most people really need the full set. At $25, they are fairly priced in my opinion in that they are made out of excellent quality materials and very well finished, not to mentiuoned sized exactly fir some unique tool screws. For the nickel and dimers among us, I guess you can use those on edge to turn your screws. Geesh.

Joe Close
10-01-2009, 5:43 PM
I have some Chapman's, or some other brand, essentially the same setup. The problem is, some screws on LN planes are in tight quarters, and the Chapman-type driver, with the bit and socket shroud, tends to get in the way, or prevent accessing the screw.

I'm torn between spending the money, which seems like a lot for a screwdriver, unless you compare it to Snap-on. But at the same time, I don't want to booger up my set screws. I've used std wedge drivers on guns over the years, no matter how careful you are, the screw eventually gets boogered up. I know what some of you are thinking, the screws don't cut wood. :confused:

JohnMorgan of Lititz
10-02-2009, 12:06 PM
They are very useful for adjusting the LN screws on the planes...especially if you adjust the frog - the long handled LN screwdrivers fit like a glove and you will not booger up the screw heads.

No doubt, you pay a premium - and to be honest, they are probably a bit more form than function - yet they function perfectly for what they were designed.

Also, they are a hardened stainless steel - very tough and again, the tips are machined for perfect fit.

They certainly are useable pieces of "eye-candy" if you use LN handplanes...I have a set - go ahead and poke fun at the waste of money if you like. :) They are as much a piece of art as they are a useful tool.

Mike Brady
10-02-2009, 2:56 PM
Deneb from Lie-Nielsen told me that they sell the screwdrivers at just about cost so that LN owners are not ruining screws and then asking for replacements.

Joe Close
10-02-2009, 3:20 PM
I think I've decided to pickup a couple as needed. Thank you all the input.