PDA

View Full Version : It's Oktoberfest, whats in your fridge?

Dan Mages
09-19-2004, 9:25 PM
It's that time of the year again! Oktoberfest beer is now available in beer stores nationwide. This is one of my favorite styles of beer. So, what do you have in your fridge? Currently I have a six pack from Otter Creek.

Dan

Cecil Arnold
09-19-2004, 10:01 PM
I'll stick with my favorates, Shiner Bock, Corona, and Dos Eques, but I think I'll be drinking Guiness and some other unknown brands, as we are headed across the Atlantic for a few weeks.

John Miliunas
09-19-2004, 10:28 PM
This is an easy one: Typically I am working on a case of Diet 7-Up and have a stray MGD or two in there. October is no different! :D :cool:

Jim Becker
09-19-2004, 10:37 PM
In the fridge? Several bottles of white wine and a half-gallon of organic 1% milk for my latté. But it sounds like a nice opportunity to stop by the local brew-pub and see what they've come up with for the fall season!

Michael Cody
09-20-2004, 12:27 AM
Arcadia Scottish Ale (local micro-brewery), Sapporo, Bud Light(my wife's) and one Blue Moon Belgian White (US Wheat beer made in beligian style).

But local brewery's pumpkin brew is due up any day now so I will pick up some, it's pretty good to say the least...

"Life is to short to drink cheap beer" - don't know who said it but they are right.

Wes Bischel
09-20-2004, 1:22 AM
Cecil,
If you're overseas, try some of their imports - like Budweiser :eek: Boy that was a weird site in an English pub.

Sorry to disappoint Dan, cherry coke, dr pepper, iced tea, and lemonade - oh, and milk and apple juice for the little man. :p

Wes

Jason Roehl
09-20-2004, 7:03 AM
Hmmm...a little Newcastle Brown, a few Dos Equis Amber, and there may be a stray Bass Pale Ale or two in the back. I need to get on that brewmeister so that I can have some homebrew...(that would be me).

So, does anyone want to support me doing some "research"--aka, a trip to the Oktoberfest homeland?? :D

Keith Starosta
09-20-2004, 7:12 AM
I'm just about to finish up the small stash of beer I brought home froma trip to my sister's place in August. It's my favorite seasonal brew from the Kalamazoo Brewing Company in K-zoo, MI, called Oberon. There are a few stray Bud Lights in the pantry, but I did see my favorite Fall beer hit the shelves a few weeks ago, Sam Adams Octoberfest. Good stuff!

Keith

Matthew Poeller
09-20-2004, 8:11 AM
But it is time for me to start a batch of my winter warmer!! This is a special concoction of darker malts and special spices like pumkin and cinnamon. I tell you that this stuff goes great with the holiday dinners.

Glenn Clabo
09-20-2004, 11:09 AM
Haven't found any this year that causes me to say a sure buy. I have found an outstanding Oatmeal Stout from Ipswich (MA) Brewery though. It's a dark (black) one that is all about perfectly roasted malts. Pours smooth...tastes smoother...but then it leaves that warm alcohol feel with a sharp bittersweet chocolate afterglow. Find it and try it.

Stefan Antwarg
09-20-2004, 9:06 PM
I too, am a fan of Octoberfest beers. In fact, every year I have an Octoberfest party with select beers, live music, and great German foods from a Baltimore German Bakery and German Meat Market. In the fridge right now is Paulaner Octoberfest and a turbo dog. I had some of the Sam Adams Octoberfest a few weeks ago, but it is just too sweet. Paulaner is my favorite, with Spaten coming in second. Becks Octoberfest is OK too. In fact, the keg I get for the party is Paulaner. Pricy, but once a year I can handle it.

And!!! If any of you are in the Southern York County area, this is an open invitation to come to the party if you like. I figure anyone who reads this thread is worthy :) Just E-mail me for details. It's October 2nd.

Stefan

Dan Mages
09-21-2004, 9:14 AM
This is an easy one: Typically I am working on a case of Diet 7-Up and have a stray MGD or two in there. October is no different! :D :cool:

MGD?? You insist on using the finest tools for woodworking but you settle for second rate swill like this? Come on, John! There is better stuff out there. I reccommend trying some better brands like Allagash, Stone, Rogue, Omegang, Dogfish Head, Samuel Smith, or Sam Adams. ;) ;)

Dan

John Miliunas
09-21-2004, 9:58 AM
MGD?? You insist on using the finest tools for woodworking but you settle for second rate swill like this? Come on, John! There is better stuff out there. I reccommend trying some better brands like Allagash, Stone, Rogue, Omegang, Dogfish Head, Samuel Smith, or Sam Adams. ;) ;)

Dan

LOL! :D Simple tastes for a simple man! ;) I have tried some of the top shelf stuff and, on occassion, it's nice, I will admit. On the other hand, for as little as I drink anymore, even an MGD crossing the pallet is refreshing! :) PLUS, it's a whole lot cheaper, leaving me more $$ for some of those tools you refer to! :D :cool:

Bart Sharp
09-22-2004, 7:47 PM
Right now there are a few Rolling Rocks, a couple of Leinenkugel Red's, two Sleemen Cream Ales and one Sleeman Lager, too much Budweiser, and one last glass of sangria from dinner last night.

Now that I'm back to being a poor student I'll have to save the good stuff for special occassions. Tomorrow is the final exam in my bootcamp math for econ class, I think that might qualify. I don't suppose anyone here could give me a quick rundown on support functions before 7AM tomorrow could they?

Ed Falis
09-23-2004, 4:17 PM
Arcadia Scottish Ale (local micro-brewery), Sapporo, Bud Light(my wife's) and one Blue Moon Belgian White (US Wheat beer made in beligian style).

But local brewery's pumpkin brew is due up any day now so I will pick up some, it's pretty good to say the least...

"Life is to short to drink cheap beer" - don't know who said it but they are right.

You have a good selection there, Michael.

Mine just has some Ipswich IPA - one of the best IPA's around, and made just a few doors down the street.

- Ed

Ed Falis
09-23-2004, 4:21 PM
Haven't found any this year that causes me to say a sure buy. I have found an outstanding Oatmeal Stout from Ipswich (MA) Brewery though. It's a dark (black) one that is all about perfectly roasted malts. Pours smooth...tastes smoother...but then it leaves that warm alcohol feel with a sharp bittersweet chocolate afterglow. Find it and try it.

Yep, it's a great one. Same one that makes the IPA I mentioned. I think the stout may even be the better of the two, but the season is young yet.

- Ed