PDA

View Full Version : Looking for steam box ideas

sean m. titmas
10-01-2009, 2:31 AM
I have a project where i need to steam 5 each of .25" flitches that measure 10"x 28". i want to steam the indivual flitches first and let them set before i than glue them up in the final press. So im looking for some ideas about steam box design and construction. aside from using an electric heat coil versus an open flame to generate the heat im open to whatever you can offer.

johnny means
10-01-2009, 7:19 AM
What are you trying to do with the steam?

Doug Carpenter
10-01-2009, 8:06 AM
Fine Woodworking has a geat article on building a steambox.

I had the need to build on once. We built it in a similar fashion but I used a 6" PVC pipe for the steambox.

The issuse is the Tools and Shops Issue for winter of 2007/2008.

I was amazed how effective it was. seemed like there was afew seconds where I could have tied it in a knot!

There was a formula for how long to leave it in the steam for each 1/4" of thickness.

I used a turkey fryer with an open flame because thats how they made them before everybody burned down their house with them!

If you can't find the article online I'm sure I could fax you a copy.

I have pictures of the thing but it was before digital cameras.

I could email you pictures of the radiator hose connection. For that mater I could sketch the box on sketchup for you too if that would help.

I do remember that you need to plan for a little rebound from the wood. so when you make your jig you make it a little tighter than you actually want.

You can email me at dougcarpenterbuilder@windstream.net if you have other questions.

Doug

Myk Rian
10-01-2009, 8:29 AM
Foil backed foamboard makes a great steam box. Use the aluminum duct tape to put it together. When done just slice the seams and stack the pieces for the next time. A steam kettle on a hot plate works well for the steam.

sean m. titmas
10-01-2009, 8:38 AM
Fine Woodworking has a geat article on building a steambox.

I had the need to build on once. We built it in a similar fashion but I used a 6" PVC pipe for the steambox.

The issuse is the Tools and Shops Issue for winter of 2007/2008.

I was amazed how effective it was. seemed like there was afew seconds where I could have tied it in a knot!

There was a formula for how long to leave it in the steam for each 1/4" of thickness.

I used a turkey fryer with an open flame because thats how they made them before everybody burned down their house with them!

If you can't find the article online I'm sure I could fax you a copy.

I have pictures of the thing but it was before digital cameras.

I could email you pictures of the radiator hose connection. For that mater I could sketch the box on sketchup for you too if that would help.

I do remember that you need to plan for a little rebound from the wood. so when you make your jig you make it a little tighter than you actually want.

You can email me at dougcarpenterbuilder@windstream.net if you have other questions.

Doug
Thanks for the offer of assistance. i would appreciate it if you could do a quick sketchup of the basic idea and email it to me since i dont have a fax line.

i did a small sample of the glue-up without the steam and at only 2" wide(the real one is 10"wide) and had about 3/4" of springback so i will need to account for that.

i'm wanting to go with an electric burner in stead of the open flame for the obvious reasons.

i'll PM you my email. thx

johnny, im using the steam to bend some mahogany flitches for a curved chair back