View Full Version : Got a used TS and jointer today

Dean Karavite
09-30-2009, 11:14 PM
I decided to try out the used market and think I did okay. Delta 36-679 TS with two iron table sections and a table extension (67" all together), with the Delta T2 fence (I think that is the model) and mobile base. Also, a 6" General International 80-100L M1 6" jointer, also with a mobile base. $700 for the pair. The seller was an upfront guy, so I didn't haggle. The saw looks a little used, but works great and measures up nice. The jointer looks brand new. Both were purchased by the original owner at a local Woodcraft. Get this, I moved both, after some disassembly, in a Subaru Legacy wagon!

I have been getting more and more serious about woodworking and these seem like two useful pickups for me. I have a Bosch 4000 contractor saw and it just wasn't up to snuff as I started doing more and more. Though not a cabinet saw (no way I could get one in my basement any way), I know have a much more capable saw for half what I payed for the Bosch!

Now the fun begins. I know dust collection will be a challenge with the contractor saw, but there were a few interesting articles recently about boxing it up for DC. I'd like to put my router in that extension and dump my Bench Dog benchtop router table. In the mean time, I would like to get a few more inserts and a better paddle switch. So (finally), my question is, does anyone have good recommendations for Delta parts and add ons? Are new twist link belts a must for both tools?

glenn bradley
10-01-2009, 1:15 AM
Congrats Dean. You will find plenty of info on shop made or after-market do-jobbers for dialing in your contractor saw. I tricked mine out with all the usual; aew fence, PALs, machined pulleys and link belt, ZCI, dust collection, added weight in the base, router table extension wing, etc. That saw served me well for years and now serves my dad in his shop.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39008&d=1148231806

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=39009&d=1148231813

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=41774&d=1151641106

When I got a decent jointer, my whole approach to woodworking changed. With the jointer and a planer in addition to my saw I was suddenly set free to "make" the board that I needed. Before I had to accept whatever board I had that happened to have a flat spot or straight edge in the right place. Enjoy!

mickey cassiba
10-01-2009, 5:01 AM
As to dust collection, under the cont. saw, I believe(worked on my old style contractor saw) the plate type dust outlet included with the 36-979 fit pretty neatly in the bottom of the cabinet. If you search that model on service net you can get the part number.and price. or call the local DeWalt service center. The back of the cabinet is a little tricky because of the belt , and motor mount assembly. We saw all kinds of home brewed solutions...
masonite, plastic curtain material, and cardboard.Some of them looked pretty trick, but I couldn't say how well they worked. I havent used mine much, and don't have a DC yet.
Hope it helps
Mickey

Geoffrey Smith
10-01-2009, 7:47 AM
As a quick aside, I salute your Subaru for bringing all of that home for you!

Bob Genovesi
10-01-2009, 10:58 AM
Dean, nice haul and good luck with them. Once you get them set up hows about posting some pictures of your new toys!

Dean Karavite
10-01-2009, 11:51 AM
Thanks everyone.

Glenn, I don't know what half of those mods you listed are, but I'm sure I will learn. That's the fun part, right?

Mickey, thanks for the DC tip.

Geoffrey, ah, you don't know the half of what that poor little car did. I put the base of the jointer in the front seat, but forgot to strap it in. Of course I encountered a situation requiring heavy braking and bam, right into the windshield. $300. I'm trying to use this as evidence for my wife that I need a brand new pickup! She was not amused by my "logic." :D

Bob. Pics to follow when the shop is all up and organized again.

Steve Rozmiarek
10-01-2009, 12:24 PM
Congrats Dean! Those are very capable tools, and will really open up the possibilities. My first saw was a similar Delta contractor, and we built some fine things together. I also agree that the jointer is a key to taking the next step in woodworking. Still suprises me that some people want a planner first, then a jointer. Good haul!

Dean Karavite
10-17-2009, 9:19 PM
Okay, here are some pics as an update. The table saw has been the center of attention. I put it all back together, put in all new electrical cords and plugs and the Grizzly paddle switch. In addition I added a new power twist belt, pulleys and PALS from Inline. Put in a zero clearance insert too. Aligned it all and it was easier than I thought. Added a dust collection hookup then built an outfeed table. Don Stanley posted pics of a fantastic outfeed table. Mine comes nowhere close to his, but his pictures and his advice gave me some ideas on how to make it all work. Next, I want to build a router table on that opposite end.

It all runs really well. It is a whole new world from the old Bosch 4000. With the outfeed table and the Festool MFT/3 bench all at the same height I can do quite a bit. I have a ton of surface space to work with. New knives for the jointer are in and that's next.

Thanks again to everyone for the ideas and help.

Stephen Edwards
10-17-2009, 9:56 PM
You did very well on your purchase! Congratulations.

I built a motor enclosure for my Ridgid contractor saw which has worked out fine with no problems, after a few minor changes since posting this thread when I first built it:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=81095

Since taking the photos in the above thread, following the sound advice of people here on the Creek much more knowledgeable than me, I cut a 4" round hole for air flow in the side of the enclosure next to the motor pulley. That made a huge difference in the DC efficiency!

You'll notice that there's a universal 4" port in the bottom of the motor enclosure. So, the saw has two DC ports; one under the trunion and one under the motor.

Also, it's built so that I can change the blade angle to 45 degrees without having to remove the enclosure. When I remember to do so, every few days I'll put the air nozzle through that 4" hole in the side of the enclosure and blow it out with the DC running. About once every 10-14 days I'll remove the top and blow out the small amount of dust in the corners.

Until I can get the cabinet saw that I want, this setup works fine for now.

Again, congrats on your purchase of the saw and jointer. You did well!

Dean Karavite
10-18-2009, 12:26 AM
Hey Steve,

I'm guessing something like your box will be in my future. Right now I am trying a trick I read about. I took a cheap plastic sign and made a cut out, then attached it to the back with magnetic tape. We'll see how it works.

I'm thinking about that cabinet saw too. Some day, but it will have to be in a different house. There is no way I could get one in my basement!

Thanks,

Dean

Geoffrey Smith
10-19-2009, 8:38 AM
The tools look great, but I really sorry to hear about the poor Subaru! :(

I agree with you, a new pickup is in order!