PDA

View Full Version : Cook Pine

Kim Ford
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
In January of 08 I was in Hawaii and picked up a couple of blanks from Shaun Fleming. It took a while but I did turn one of them as a commissioned piece. It is 13" X 7". Thanks Shaun for the wood.

PS As I found out later it was Cook Pine not Norfork Pine similar but not the same.

David Hullum
09-30-2009, 11:02 PM
That is some beautiful wood it almost looks spalted. I am getting tired of turning mesquite and cedar. :D Here in Texas that is all I got.

Gary Conklin
09-30-2009, 11:16 PM
Dude, that is very sweet work! Lovely wood. Is your signiture burned on?

Richard Madison
09-30-2009, 11:31 PM
Kim,
That stuff is gor-gee-ous!

David,
We also have lots of dead oak trees due to the drought in this area. Just a challenge to get it turned and completely dry without cracks and splits.

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Beautiful bowl Kim!

Sure has the colors and knots like Norfork Pine - first I've heard of Cook Pine. Nice classic shape to the bowl. Really like the 3 detail lines you turned just below the rim. Draws your eye to the area without competing with the wood grain. Very nice work! I am sure your customer must have loved it!

Bernie Weishapl
10-01-2009, 12:21 AM
Great looking bowl out of some great looking wood Kim.

alex carey
10-01-2009, 1:07 AM
wow that is some wild grain, nice finish.

Rob Cunningham
10-01-2009, 8:02 AM
That's some cool looking wood. Nice shape and finish.

Jeff Nicol
10-01-2009, 8:07 AM
Kim, I just really like the shape and the wood is exceptional in its color and grain! I like tuning our local pines here in WI, but sure would love some of the cook or norfolk island pine to spin! You did a fine job of bringing out the beauty of the wood!

Jeff

Kim Ford
10-01-2009, 8:35 AM
Thanks Guys.

The wood is spalted. Shaun set the log out side on end in a muddy area for about a month. Where she lives in Maui there is enough rain to keep everything moist. When we got the log we put it in a plastice bag for transport and then hosed it down really good.

The bottom is laser engraved because it is being used as a presentation piece for the event.

This was a fun one to do. Shaun warned me that the common mistake when people fist turn this wood is to chip out the knots. She suggested not to use scraping cuts but shear cuts in both the rough out and the finish. She was right.

Bill Bolen
10-01-2009, 9:54 AM
You sure did justice to an exceptional piece of wood. Love the form and all the color, your customer will be delighted...Bill...

Jack Mincey
10-01-2009, 6:36 PM
Very beautiful form and wood. It is nice to see what nature creates for us to find. Well done indeed.
Jack