PDA

View Full Version : Have ? . . Looking at a ONEWAY 1224

Steven DeMars
09-30-2009, 8:59 PM
Swing over bed - 12"

Swing over banjo - 9"

I realize what the difference is physically in the two swing measurements, just not sure how it applies.

I see where there would be no difference turning a spindle or a pen.

But how would turning a bowl or a platter be effected?

Would I be limited to 9" bowls & 9" platters?

Steve

P.S. Any comments on the ONEWAY 1224 are welcome . . .

Already know that for about the same price of the "loaded" ONEWAY 1224 a POWERMATIC 3520B can be had . . .:)

If I ever out grow the 1224, there is always the 2436 . . . .

Robert McGowen
09-30-2009, 9:18 PM
Well, I believe that you have it backwards. The banjo would for sure effect a spindle turning, but probably would not effect a bowl or platter. The 9" measurement is from the center of the headstock to the top of the banjo. Therefore, you could only turn a spindle (or a pen for that matter :eek:) that was 9" in diameter or less, as the banjo is going to be underneath it, in other words, between the turning and the bed of the lathe. A bowl or platter, on the other hand, can be turned so that the banjo is off to the side and the tool rest is turned towards the bowl. The banjo itself is not actually underneath the bowl, so the full 12" of swing can be used. Clear as mud now? :rolleyes:

Steven DeMars
09-30-2009, 9:42 PM
Well, I believe that you have it backwards. The banjo would for sure effect a spindle turning, but probably would not effect a bowl or platter. The 9" measurement is from the center of the headstock to the top of the banjo. Therefore, you could only turn a spindle (or a pen for that matter :eek:) that was 9" in diameter or less, as the banjo is going to be underneath it, in other words, between the turning and the bed of the lathe. A bowl or platter, on the other hand, can be turned so that the banjo is off to the side and the tool rest is turned towards the bowl. The banjo itself is not actually underneath the bowl, so the full 12" of swing can be used. Clear as mud now? :rolleyes:

This is what happens when "newbies" get toolitis . . . .

Thanks, makes sense now . . .

Steve:confused:

Ryan Baker
09-30-2009, 10:00 PM
That's all true, though it depends a little on the depth of the bowl. If your toolrest hangs out far enough to the side that the bowl will clear the banjo, then swing over the banjo isn't a problem. If you are working on something deep enough (more than about 5") that the toolrest won't reach that far, it gets a little harder. Sometimes you can "work your way in" from one side. You can move the banjo to the other side of the blank, but that is a big pain. You can use an outboard tool rest. If you frequently want to turn things bigger than the swing over the banjo, you would really be happier with a lathe with larger swing. It usually isn't an issue very often though.

Steven DeMars
09-30-2009, 11:17 PM
I had not thought of that . . .

Thanks
Steve:)

Reed Gray
10-01-2009, 1:09 AM
I have turned on one a couple of times as a demonstrator, and think it has torque issues, as in not nearly what I expected, even on the slow speed range, and with a 1 hp motor. Nice machine, but, I need more power, and for that price.....
robo hippy

Cliff Holmes
10-01-2009, 8:49 AM
This is what happens when "newbies" get toolitis

I think that would be "tool fever". '-itis' means swelling from infection, i.e. toolitis would a swollen, infected tool.

I think I just made myself a little nauseated ...

Steven DeMars
10-01-2009, 9:31 AM
I'll go with tool fever . . .

Any more comments on the ONEWAY 1224 being used as a small lathe . .

I realize that it is not a large powerful lathe . . . but more of a quality mini lathe.

Steve:)

Roger Bell
10-18-2009, 11:34 AM
I bought mine only slightly used three years ago for a very, Very good price. As a smaller lathe, I am very satisfied with it. For smaller stuff, it's great. It is very well made, the adjustments are easy. Naturally, a lathe with VFD is highly desirable over any lathe with belt/pulley.

I routinely turn 11 1/2" green wood bowls on it, but it is obvious that I am sometimes pushing it when I do. Occasionally (but not that often) the motor shuts down and it needs to "cool" a bit. It is also a bit of a lightweight (300#) for spinning big hunks of even slightly unbalanced wood. Thus you have go pretty slow to get the blank rounded enough to start the real shaping at a faster speed. So it pays to bandsaw out your blanks for the larger stuff and to use the "between the centers" method to get the best balance you can with a large bowl blank. This takes longer than my temperment really prefers. I would rather simply bob the corners with the chain saw, mount up and let 'er fly. You can do this with smaller blanks, but don't even think about it with anything over about 8".

So within it's design capabilities, it is a fine lathe. If I were to buy new and pay full price, I don't think I would buy it, preferring a larger, heavier (and lesser quality if need by) unit with a wider range of capability. But for someone whose turning is best served by a mini-lathe platform, I would recommend it.

Joe Bradshaw
10-18-2009, 3:06 PM
I have had a 1224 for about 6 years. I have been really pleased with it. It is my go to lathe for smaller projects. I have never had any issues with the weight or power. It will shut down when I turn the speed controller down to far. Other than that, it is a great small lathe.

Keith Burns
10-18-2009, 5:50 PM
Our club has the 1224 and it is excellent. I have demoed on it and it is solid like all Oneway products. Malcom Tibbetts did a full day demo and he experienced no problems. If you get it, it will be the last 12" lathe you ever have to buy.

Steven DeMars
12-04-2010, 7:37 PM
I got it . . . pictures to follow . . .

Steve:D

Ken Fitzgerald
12-04-2010, 7:53 PM
You know the saying Steven....Seeing is believing:rolleyes:....You lucky rascal!:D

Use your imagination and picture me saying "Congratulations Steven!":D

David DeCristoforo
12-04-2010, 8:16 PM
"...you could only turn a spindle (or a pen for that matter ) that was 9" in diameter or less..."

Actually you could turn an 18" diameter pen. The nine inches over the banjo represents the the radius, not the diameter.

Steven DeMars
12-05-2010, 12:49 AM
Thank you . . .:D

You know the saying Steven....Seeing is believing:rolleyes:....You lucky rascal!:D

Use your imagination and picture me saying "Congratulations Steven!":D