PDA

View Full Version : Ever get tired of walking across the shop to get the tool you need?

Richard Gibson
09-30-2009, 8:23 PM
Solution I saw in a magazine...

dan grant
09-30-2009, 8:28 PM
nope, my shops only 11' wide:(

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-30-2009, 8:37 PM
nope, my shops only 11' wide:(

I'm a little better, but not by much...I'm usually only 6' or so from whatever tool I need...

Leo Graywacz
09-30-2009, 8:43 PM
Looks tippy.

I made one that has worked pretty good for me. Has a drawer with screws, paper towel and I made it the deluxe model by adding the can holder.

http://fototime.com/BBAACCE0670271F/standard.jpg

I got rid of the clamps and build myself a clamp carrier too.

http://fototime.com/2436671B791C4AE/orig.jpg

http://fototime.com/96BA0D94CB4AA60/orig.jpg

Michael Schapansky
09-30-2009, 9:04 PM
I really like it that you put power in it. One extension cord instead of a tangle of cords.

Dan Friedrichs
09-30-2009, 9:06 PM
Richard, that is COOL! :) Ditto on the outlets being a great idea.

Anthony Whitesell
09-30-2009, 9:07 PM
Not really my shop is not big enough.

I wouldn't have any place to roll that. :D

David DeCristoforo
09-30-2009, 9:22 PM
Some of the tool and clamp carts pictured here are very cool. But really... Murphy's law states that the tool you need will always be as far away from you as it can be. It does not matter how many tools you pack around with you. Murphy's law is very clear on this.

Jason Strauss
09-30-2009, 9:27 PM
Some of the tool and clamp carts pictured here are very cool. But really... Murphy's law states that the tool you need will always be as far away from you as it can be. It does not matter how many tools you pack around with you. Murphy's law is very clear on this.

+1 This particularly applies to pencils, measuring devices, and straight edges, dammit!

Leo Graywacz
09-30-2009, 9:29 PM
Mostly applies to my safety glasses. I swear, they have legs.

Mitchell Andrus
09-30-2009, 9:53 PM
I'm pretty sure I'd get tired of bumping into that. The first time I knocked it over, or knocked a tool off of it, it'd loose it's wheels.

Cool idea though.

johnny means
09-30-2009, 9:58 PM
I really don't mind walking across the shop to get a tool, hit a switch, or whatever. It's the walking around my shop aimlessly for 15 minutes, looking for my tape measure or pencil that drives me mad.:mad: At least I know that when I have to walk up and down my shop for things I can locate it's never more than a few seconds. Looking for things can eat up the better part of my day.

Leo Graywacz
09-30-2009, 10:03 PM
That's why I have 4 or 5 tape measures around the shop in different areas.:p

David DeCristoforo
09-30-2009, 10:20 PM
"... I have 4 or 5 tape measures around the shop..."

Again, I have to point to Murphy's law. Regarding tape measures, rulers, pencils and or putty knives, it does not matter how many you own or how many you scatter around your shop. There will simply never be one within reach. And don't try to pass off that old "pencil behind the ear" thing. You know darned well that sooner or later you will stab yourself in the eye. Tapes with belt clips may seem like another way to circumvent the inevitable. But sooner or later you will end up catching the thing on something and ripping your pants off. And, again, according to Murphy's law, it will be when you have a customer standing right next to you.

Leo Graywacz
09-30-2009, 10:22 PM
Sounds like someone is having a bad day.

johnny means
09-30-2009, 10:52 PM
"... I have 4 or 5 tape measures around the shop..."

Again, I have to point to Murphy's law. Regarding tape measures, rulers, pencils and or putty knives, it does not matter how many you own or how many you scatter around your shop. There will simply never be one within reach. And don't try to pass off that old "pencil behind the ear" thing. You know darned well that sooner or later you will stab yourself in the eye. Tapes with belt clips may seem like another way to circumvent the inevitable. But sooner or later you will end up catching the thing on something and ripping your pants off. And, again, according to Murphy's law, it will be when you have a customer standing right next to you.

Ain't it the truth. I have no fewer than one tape measure for every 100 sf. of shop space(1200 total sf.) and can still never find one.

Peter Aeschliman
09-30-2009, 11:35 PM
Sounds like someone is having a bad day.

LOL! I'm still laughing.

Kev Godwin
09-30-2009, 11:56 PM
Why not just wear a lightweight nylon tool belt? Gee, I just found my tape measure, my pencil, my etc.....

I guess I don't have this problem. My safety glasses and ear plugs (or ear-muffs) hang around my neck all of the time when not being used.

My credit card is another issue. Can't seem to find it when a new tool is calling. The LOML is always out wearing off the magnetic strip.:rolleyes:
Kev

johnny means
10-01-2009, 7:16 AM
Why not just wear a lightweight nylon tool belt? Gee, I just found my tape measure, my pencil, my etc.....
Kev

So I could missplace all my tools at once.:D

Larry Edgerton
10-01-2009, 7:28 AM
What I am tired of is walking across the shop for something and forgetting what I walked across the shop for.:rolleyes:

My new shop is half as big, so I figure I will walk half as far......

Mitchell Andrus
10-01-2009, 7:31 AM
What I am tired of is walking across the shop for something and forgetting what I walked across the shop for.:rolleyes:

....and forget twice as much.

Jerome Hanby
10-01-2009, 8:01 AM

That's how I addressed the problem, I bought one of those tool belts...and when I find it, all these problems will be history...and I'll have my tape measure and pencils back...and my small engineers square...and my car keys, gee I'm tired of walking.

Brad Wood
10-01-2009, 8:43 AM
and here I thought this thread was about how every time I go shopping, what I want is on the far side of where I am..... EVERYTIME

anyway, nice little cart. I like the power tool. Unfortunately I fall into the "everything is no more than six feet from me" category too.

Karl Brogger
10-01-2009, 8:48 AM

Organization is key. Not just having a place to put things, but making sure you actually put them there. With that said, I spent almost 2 hours the other day just walking around and saying: "There you are", to all the long lost crap I've picked up and not put back in its place.

Scott Vantine
10-01-2009, 11:04 AM
Ain't it the truth. I have no fewer than one tape measure for every 100 sf. of shop space(1200 total sf.) and can still never find one.

I fall into this same rut every time. I can have six tapes, four pencils and the task I am working on is ten feet from everyone of them! Or they all grow legs and hide! LOL:D

harry strasil
10-01-2009, 11:16 AM
Walking about the shop looking for things falls into the category of that new FAD, EXERCISE, I get all the exercise I need just setting on the front steps and watching all the females parading up and down the street in front of my house. Its what I call the best form of EXERCISE, gets you heart to racing at times, is enjoyable, but doesn't tire you out or let you overdo it.

lets see, shop is 3 steps wide and 5 steps long, now I'm tired.

Bob Carreiro
10-01-2009, 11:58 AM
Try somewhere in the neighborhood of 15! And ditto for pencils!

David DeCristoforo
10-01-2009, 12:02 PM
Well the truth is, it's easy to circumvent this entire problem. All you have to do is follow the first rule of organization: "Don't put it down... put it away." If you do this and you have followed the second rule of organization: "Make a place for everything.", you will always be able to find your stuff. Of course, it's easy to make exception to these rules when you are in the middle of a project. But if one were to strictly discipline one's self, the problem is not that hard to deal with...

http://www.daviddecristoforo.com/Misc/rofl.gif

Kyle Iwamoto
10-01-2009, 12:10 PM

ROTFLMAO. Been there done that WAY too many times. I usually keep walking, and use the bathroom. By that time I'll need to anyways.

Matthew Joe
10-01-2009, 12:27 PM
I've found it helpful to "leash" tape measures and pencils to each of my tool stations with a bit of string. Same goes for chuck keys, wrenches for the router, etc. I have a couple of free-floaters for tasks that must be performed away from the tool, but these still get lost.

Less of a problem to find misplaced tools, but kind of a headache to deal with all of that string!

Steve Rozmiarek
10-01-2009, 12:29 PM
I think Harry is onto something. Heck, if you are forgetful enough, you might even burn off the calories in the can of coke that is sitting on your bench!

Chris Tsutsui
10-01-2009, 12:32 PM
If I disciplined myself to put every tool away after I was done using it, this would result in me taking 4 times longer to work on things.

It seems like the more tools you have, the more tools you need to do simple tasks.

Rod Sheridan
10-01-2009, 12:38 PM
I think Harry is onto something. Heck, if you are forgetful enough, you might even burn off the calories in the can of coke that is sitting on your bench!

Sorry Steve, I just can't pass up this opportunity.

In your location, wouldn't the can of coke evaporate before that many people went by your front steps?:D

regards, Rod.

Zach England
10-01-2009, 12:41 PM
Having a 6.5 foot ceiling means I can just store everything between the floor joists. It's a bit of a pain, though, since I have to remove the feet from my bandsaw to install a riser block kit.

(edit: sorry, this isn't really relevant to anything)

Bill Arnold
10-01-2009, 12:52 PM
My shop is 36'x24' but I enjoy being in it so much I don't mind the stroll to get something from the other side. ;)

Mike Cruz
10-01-2009, 4:03 PM
Nice tool rack on wheels. I built a clamp version. Had one in the shop I used to work in and loved it. Of course, my shop is a couple thousand square feet smaller, so the actual NEED for it isn't as strong, but I always liked it, so I built one. Nothing fancy, but gets the job done.

Brian Jarnell
10-01-2009, 4:52 PM
My shop is 36'x24' but I enjoy being in it so much I don't mind the stroll to get something from the other side. ;)
My shop is 36 by 18 and it needs to be 36 by 36.

Are they ever big enough.

Glad to say bought 2 dozen pecils on special and have spread them around,still need to respread each day.

Mike Cruz
10-01-2009, 5:44 PM
I think you guys are losing track of what the OP asked. He asked if anyone got sick and tired of running around the shop to get what you need. Not that you forgot where it was, not that it wasn't where it was supposed to be, rather that everything was always on the OTHER side of the shop. He clearly solved that problem (and the ones ya'll have digressed to about having a place to put things...and everything in its place).

Job well done.

Chris Tsutsui
10-01-2009, 6:21 PM
Murphy's law states that even if this thread was about power tools or what type of joinery I should use... Eventually it will result in people posting complaints about lost pencils and tape measures...

I lost 3 pencils last week, and one of them was a mechanical one. :(

In addition, I could sleep better at night if I only knew where my stanley 16' tape measure is. I know it's in the garage, I just can't picture in my mind where it is.

Ok, sorry OP for going off topic. That rack is nice and I'll make one too some day...

Steve Rozmiarek
10-01-2009, 7:45 PM
Sorry Steve, I just can't pass up this opportunity.

In your location, wouldn't the can of coke evaporate before that many people went by your front steps?:D

regards, Rod.

LOL! Very true! There where two passers by today though. Both times where my wife, but heck, that counts!

Brian Jarnell
10-01-2009, 10:44 PM
Murphy's law states that even if this thread was about power tools or what type of joinery I should use... Eventually it will result in people posting complaints about lost pencils and tape measures...

I lost 3 pencils last week, and one of them was a mechanical one. :(

In addition, I could sleep better at night if I only knew where my stanley 16' tape measure is. I know it's in the garage, I just can't picture in my mind where it is.

Ok, sorry OP for going off topic. That rack is nice and I'll make one too some day...
One might say,it's nice to have one amongst us that dosen't digress.:rolleyes:

Paul Johnstone
10-02-2009, 9:11 AM
Not really my shop is not big enough.

I wouldn't have any place to roll that. :D

That is my problem too. I don't have enough free floor space. Too many things on mobile bases. I don't want something else in the traffic jam :)

Bill Orbine
10-02-2009, 9:26 AM
Whereever what you are looking for is where you last left it! Anyway...... one of my little peeves is when I walk across the shop to do something, I forget the damn measuring tape and have to trek back across the shop to where I just left the tape and then back across to do whatever I was trying to do. Now, what was I doing???

Bob Genovesi
10-02-2009, 12:46 PM
Look, you guys have some great ideas but that's how I get some exercise. Besides, if I cut the length of time it takes to build something my wife will just add more to the list... http://www.smileyslord.com/smileys/3d-scared-smiley.gif (http://www.smileyslord.com)

mickey cassiba
10-04-2009, 12:24 AM
That's my Uncle you're talking about! Feels like it anyway!

Brad Westcott
10-04-2009, 3:08 AM

I guess I don't have this problem. My safety glasses and ear plugs (or ear-muffs) hang around my neck all of the time when not being used.

My credit card is another issue. Can't seem to find it when a new tool is calling. The LOML is always out wearing off the magnetic strip.:rolleyes:
Kev

+1. That is what I do.

The only thing, I don't keep my glasses and my safety glasses in it. Too easy to crush or break them.

I like the other posters idea of hanging them on my neck. I guess I will have to rig something up like that soon.

Oh, by the way, I would lose my head if it were not bolted on either!!!!

P.S. I like the cart idea but the design posted would make me too nervous. I prefer to keep my tools in drawers to prevent dust build up and from knocking them off of a cart or table. My radial saw is central in my shop along most of one wall and underneath are all my hand held power tools, sandpaper, tape, drill bits, wood chisels, nails, screws, biscuits, and glue. Since my shop is only 20' wide, I am usually 10' from whatever I need. I agree with the others, the last thing I need is another item on rollers to move out of the way. I built my shop with electrical outlets every 5 feet along the walls so the only items that I use a wind up extension cord for are hand held power tools used in the center of the shop.

Curtis Gray 1
10-04-2009, 8:15 PM
I always wear a nailbag in the shop with a 6 inch square, tape, pencils, a pencil sharpener, and my dust collection remote in the pockets. Works for me.

Chris Barnett
10-04-2009, 9:29 PM
Nope...I just turns me around :D.