PDA

View Full Version : Slant leg end tables(pics)

Donnie Raines
09-19-2004, 6:43 PM
Been a while since I posted any pix...so here they are. My photograhpy is rather poor(..as though I needed to point that out...). I made these with scrapes. The tops are curly maple and the bottoms are too. After I had dyed them all the same color(as the tops) my wife did not like it.. So ....I painted the bottoms a dark....I mean dark...blue. The top measures 15 inchs square and the legs are 25 inchs long. This was a very fun project that I knocked out a few weekends back.
Figured I would throw in a shot of my new shop....not much to see at this point(..another table in the works sitting on my table saw).

Jim Becker
09-19-2004, 9:00 PM
That's an excellent design, Donnie. I have a similar "idea" on my "future project list" after seeing a table like that along the road one day. On the one you painted the base, did you distress the paint? The picture is a little dark, but it seems to have been treated in the area of the scrollwork at the bottom of the apron...but maybe my eyes are playing tricks! (all that hard woodworking in the shop today, no doubt...:D)

John Shuk
09-19-2004, 9:47 PM
Nice work Donnie. :D

Tyler Howell
09-19-2004, 10:36 PM
Great table and nice work space but I'm having a hard time with the curtains in the shop.:D

Jim Becker
09-19-2004, 10:38 PM
Great table and nice work space but I'm having a hard time with the curtains in the shop.
Indeed. Good catch, Tyler!!

Donnie Raines
09-20-2004, 9:02 AM
Hey Ty...I figured someone would give me some stuff for that. What can I say....my shop sits on the front of the house...the rest of the house has these curtains....so it would look "un-balanced" if I took them off. By the way....thats my wife speaking...... :cool: :rolleyes:

Jim-bo,

Your observation is some what correct. I had dyed the entire project a brown color(like the top...though I understand that this is not clearly visable). It was to busy for such a little table....SO...I brushed on some milk paint(real milk paint...not that can stuff). I padded the areas near the scroll work to bring through some of the brown dye. I buffed it and then sprayed a few coats of lacquer on it.

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 9:46 AM
Your observation is some what correct. I had dyed the entire project a brown color(like the top...though I understand that this is not clearly visable). It was to busy for such a little table....SO...I brushed on some milk paint(real milk paint...not that can stuff). I padded the areas near the scroll work to bring through some of the brown dye. I buffed it and then sprayed a few coats of lacquer on it.
Ah...milk paint is excellent for this kind of thing.

Wes Bischel
09-20-2004, 11:15 AM
Donnie,

If you hadn't told us, I would have thought the legs were always going to be blue. I like the distressing, it adds to the character of the piece.

Wes

PS: I guess mini blinds are out of the question. :rolleyes:

Lee Schierer
09-20-2004, 11:47 AM
Great table and nice work space but I'm having a hard time with the curtains in the shop.:D
Everytime, we come in our drive way my wife threatens to get curtains for my shop windows so you can't see the stuff in the shop.

Jason Tuinstra
09-20-2004, 12:20 PM
Donnie, the tables look very nice. I agree with your decision to go two tone on these. Hard to paint over curly maple I'm sure, but the end result is very nice on the eyes. Thanks for sharing!

David Hayes
09-20-2004, 1:03 PM
Nice work Donnie. From the looks of your tablesaw, I guess you dropped the idea to run 220 to your new shop?

Hope the move went well. The curly red oak I got from you in June has been put to good use. Hope to get a pic of the project up this week.

Dave

Donnie Raines
09-20-2004, 1:14 PM
Nice work Donnie. From the looks of your tablesaw, I guess you dropped the idea to run 220 to your new shop?

Hope the move went well. The curly red oak I got from you in June has been put to good use. Hope to get a pic of the project up this week.

Dave

Hey Dave,

Glad the oak is working out well....looking forward to those pics.....

I did give up on the 220......The saw I have now is a Powermatic 64A.... i really like this saw!! The move went well....and the shop is falling into place....but then again...are they ever really complete???.... :rolleyes:

Donnie Raines
09-20-2004, 1:16 PM
Thanks for all the compliments! These tables really are fun to make....the slanted legs really add some "color" to these little guys....and the materials needed are small.