PDA

View Full Version : Jump Starter

Bonnie Campbell
09-30-2009, 7:09 PM
Okay, I have a Black and Decker 'Start-It' Jump-Starter model# VEC010BD.... The Problem: it had an AC adaptor to charge the unit up. Of course the adaptor disappeared. And wouldn't you know I've a dead jeep battery. I found a 'Universal AC Adaptor' laying around. I'm trying to figure out if I can charge the jump starter with it. Output on the adaptor goes from 1.5-12V, and it also has a switch + - polarity. Can I use this adaptor? If so, what should I set it on?

I know, stupid questions, but I don't have the foggiest idea, and there's no one here to look at it or to ask.

Dennis McGarry
09-30-2009, 7:36 PM
It will work, but you need to know what the imput voltage on the jump starter is and what polairty the plug is, (most likely center ground) but you want to be sure.

Look at where the plug plugs into the jumpstarter, it should have a little symbol there, that tells you the polarty, and also should have the imput volts and amps...

http://www.accesscomms.com.au/Reference/polarity.htm

Cliff Rohrabacher
10-02-2009, 11:51 AM
Those things are great.
My wife had a 300 Turbodiesel with a gazillion miles on it. In it's last two years the thing would betray her in the parking lot at night in the winter.
I got one of those portable jumpers that you plug in to the wall to charge up and she'd use it every day all winter long.

We too lost the wall adaptor.
If you contact B&D they can tell you exactly what voltage it needs and you can get a universal or a switchable one from Radio Shack etc., and be fine.

Bonnie Campbell
10-02-2009, 11:54 AM
I've been trying to get hold of B&D to find out. Haven't had any luck with them yet.

Did find a regular (I guess) electric battery charger, so if I can figure out how to hook it up I can just try charging the battery. It really sucks being old and dumb lol