PDA

View Full Version : 3520A Shuts Off

Terry Cook
09-30-2009, 6:34 PM
After a catch my lathe shut off. I unplug it waited awhile plug it back in and it ran for a few minutes then shut off. Did this a few times, gaveup for the night. After work today ran for about 20 minutes then shut off. Any ideas? When it shuts off the digital readout on the back is dark. Thanks for any help.

ROY DICK
09-30-2009, 6:53 PM
Lose connection, bad breaker, re-set-button?
Others will chime in I am sure. Call the phone numer for customer service and ask to speak to a tech person.

Roy

Dick Sowa
09-30-2009, 7:32 PM
I have no idea what the cause is, but it's clearly an electrical issue.

I have a 3520b, and regularly blow dust out of the 3 phase converter. It's got lots of slots for air circulation, and is right in the line of fire when chips and dust start flying. I have been concerned about dust and debris creating a heat buildup, and eventually doing what yours appears to be doing. It's worth a good cleaning, just to see if that solves the problem.

Richard Madison
09-30-2009, 8:57 PM
If it shuts off after 30 minutes, that suggests a heating problem. Certainly blowing the dust out of everything would be an easy thing to do first, or maybe second after calling a tech rep.

Reed Gray
10-01-2009, 1:13 AM
I had one of the older 3520A models, and it had a fan under the baffels to keep it cool. I put some screening over the top to keep the chips out, or it would stop the fan. See if it has the fan, and the fan is plugged up. I have had catches trip the reset button, but only had to hit reset, not turn it off. I also had a problem turning bigger things on the high speed range. Every time I would turn it off, it would trip the reset button. Had the brake time set to 8 seconds from 5, and turned on the slow speed range. Other than that, I don't know.

robo hippy

Philip Duffy
10-01-2009, 4:52 AM
My original 3520 has a reset button on the control box. I never ever get a catch but when the lathe gets an "overload " and stops I just hit the stop button on the control and then the up arrow button and it starts right up. Easy as apple pie. Phil

JerHall
10-01-2009, 11:47 AM
if you have a remote switch you might check it to make sure it is not failing due to dust. You may be hitting the switch after the catch, and it may not be turning on reliably. To be really honest, that has happened to me after a c****, and I now keep my remote in a plastic bag to keep the dust out.