PDA

View Full Version : 12" Delta Bandsaw

Dennis Puskar
09-30-2009, 5:45 PM
What is a Delta bandsaw Model No. BS220LS worth ? A fellow on craigslist is asking $150.00 is this reasonable ?

Thanks

Dennis

mickey cassiba
09-30-2009, 9:40 PM
May get shot down here, as my experience with using the saw is very limited, but in the re-conditioning shop, it had the dubious honor of being on of the "Top Ten Returned Items", always met with mournful noises from the techs tasked with the prep for re-sale.
That said, it seemed to be a sturdy machine, though a little "under engineered". Doors popping open while running, hard to track the blades and the saw "walking" around on the floor were the common complaints. The project engineer and factory reps from China did, however, bring in several units for us to train on when it was released and they were pretty impressive for a light (yeah right, pick one up) mid price saw. If you get a good one, worth the $150. Test drive it before you pony up the cash though. We scrapped a LOT of them.
MIckey

Dennis Puskar
09-30-2009, 10:53 PM
Thanks Mickey appreciate the info.

Dennis

Dean Karavite
09-30-2009, 11:33 PM
Hey Dennis, if you can find one or wait, old iron might be worth looking into. For that same price I got a 1950 something 12" Walker Turner with the coolest adjustable miter gauge you ever saw. 1950's technology is a lot of fun and quality is outstanding. The saw is a tank and nearly killed me and my neighbor as we brought it down the steps. Vibration is not an issue. I just saw a 12" Atlas on Craigs list here in Philly for $200. They are out there. For mine I only needed to crown the tires and buy a new belt.

As for these old saws, I can only imagine what it would be like to have one of their 14 or 16" models in good condition, that is once you moved it into the shop. Here is a pic of my little Walker Turner. I have Festool and Lie Nielsen stuff (not too much, but enough), but this old tool is at the top of my favorites to use.

Dennis Puskar
10-01-2009, 12:11 AM
Thanks Dean I can wait and will be on the lookout. I do like old iron.

Dennis

Jerome Hanby
10-01-2009, 8:06 AM
I got my cast iron Rockwell/Delta 14" with the enclosed base for about $150. It even survived being bounced from my truck...

Dean Karavite
10-01-2009, 12:04 PM
Hey Dennis, good luck. More than likely your local Craigs list will have endless Crafstmans and other common brands, but then out of nowhere, the "vintage" saw will pop up. Looks like Jerome has me beat. A 14" for $150. Now I am jealous.

Jerome Hanby
10-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey Dennis, good luck. More than likely your local Craigs list will have endless Crafstmans and other common brands, but then out of nowhere, the "vintage" saw will pop up. Looks like Jerome has me beat. A 14" for $150. Now I am jealous.

Just to be brave and honest, I double checked and I actually paid $180.