PDA

View Full Version : Need a GOOD Dog Door

Scott Hildenbrand
09-30-2009, 3:26 PM
Anyone have any suggestions on a GOOD through the wall dog door for larger sized dogs?

Current door I have, well, the flap started deforming a few months after I installed it and one of the dogs ate the outside flap.. So, it's kinda like an open window at this moment..

With winter coming, I figure I should stop procrastinating and shell out how ever many hundred it will take for a good door.

Also adding a cheap secondary door (as well as slab door) to the inside of the dog room's hallway to act as a thermal break. Don't care how good the dog door is, there is always a chill from it.

SOOOOOO... Lets hear what suggestions you all have.

Current door is 14"w by 19"h. or so, so it needs to fall around that area. Else I'll need to hack the wall up more to make a bigger opening... and... I don't feel like doing that.. ;)

phil harold
09-30-2009, 3:58 PM
mine worked great
let the dog in and out along with the cats and the skunk

sealed it up after the skunk incedent

Lee Schierer
09-30-2009, 4:41 PM
Get one of the electronic automatic doors, they appear to seal tight for weather and don't have flaps for the dogs to chew on.http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/hightechpet/PX-2Lifestyle-450px.jpg
http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/hightechpet/px2dimensions.gif

Scott Hildenbrand
09-30-2009, 4:53 PM
Too dang pricey.. I'd have to have a collar for four dogs. Be $450-500 for everything I need. Eeesh.

Kerry Adams
09-30-2009, 8:39 PM
Good Evening,

Google plexidor-that should do the trick!

Kerry

Scott Hildenbrand
09-30-2009, 9:41 PM
I'd actually looked at that one.. It looks really well made, but I'm a little concerned about my dog sticking its head through and then pulling back so that it pinches their head.. At LEAST one of my dogs is stupid enough to do that and not realize that going backwards is a BAD thing and stop.

This one, which also gives dead space to the flap, seems to have high reviews and offers a little more "dumb dog" protection.

http://www.petdoors.com/endura_flap_wall_mount.htm

Jeff Caskie
09-30-2009, 10:09 PM
I'd actually looked at that one.. It looks really well made, but I'm a little concerned about my dog sticking its head through and then pulling back so that it pinches their head.. At LEAST one of my dogs is stupid enough to do that and not realize that going backwards is a BAD thing and stop.

This one, which also gives dead space to the flap, seems to have high reviews and offers a little more "dumb dog" protection.

http://www.petdoors.com/endura_flap_wall_mount.htm

I bought the single flap version of the one listed here... and I am pretty satisfied w/ it. I have a basset and spaniel/border collie mix and they don't have any problems with it. I did take out both magnets first until they got used to it (it is stronger than the cheap flap they used to use). The magnets cause a floating metal piece to come up and close off the bottom as the door swings shut. I then added one magnet back and they didn't seem to notice. I still have one magnet out and am considering putting it in but so far, I haven't seen the need. My basset has to poke her nose in the corner to get it started opening, then she can open it all the way. I don't want to make it too hard on her.

All-in-all, I am happy with my choice. I also purchased from the store listed above and I did not experience any problems. If I had large dogs, I would probably have tried the dual door version for some additional energy savings.

I have noticed they now carry some dog doors in HD/Lowes. A bit cheaper... in cost as well as design/construction, but they may have something decent worth looking into...

Roger Jensen
09-30-2009, 10:24 PM
I have the electronic door pictured for two cats. It is the only door we found to keep out racoons and skunks.

The door won't close as long as the collar is in the door. Even if it were to close, it has a sensor (like a garage door) to reopen if something gets in way of closing.

It may be expensive, but I went the three pet doors (and two actual doors due to pet door size differences), so you might as well spend the money now if you can.

The batteries last about 3 months.

Roger

Judy Kingery
09-30-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi Scott,

Yep, we did the 'petdoors.com' and we've been very pleased. Put the pet door through the wall so actually have two of these, one outer, one inner and they've done fine for oh goodness, literally 25 years or so. I replace the flaps about every 5 years as they tear or wear out. But nope, never had either dog get stuck and all is well. Not too much expense either. Works aok for ours.

PS, ours is the large size and we've oh medium dogs.

Clarification - not sure where we bought the original, but the petdoors.com source fits fine and works just the same as what I originally bought.

Best of luck to you!

Jude

Leigh Betsch
09-30-2009, 10:40 PM
I've had four of the Gun Dog House Doors in various places I've lived. I believe that they are the best door made. They don't wear out and dogs can't chew them. The only problem with them is that they are noisy. They have a heavy spring to close the door so when the door falls off the dogs back it snaps closed with a sharp sound. Doesn't bother me cause my dogs are in a kennel off my shop and not up by the house. I wouldn't use this door in my house though. I see on the web site that he now makes an Easy Door that is supposed to be silent. They are made by Carl Altenbernd in Sabin MN, a dog guy. Google gundoghousedoor

Pat Caulfield
10-01-2009, 11:02 AM
Take a look at these, they are a good door.

http://www.halepetdoor.com/index.asp

Rich Stewart
10-01-2009, 2:22 PM
My neighbor got the electronic door. First time the dog went near it, it opened, the dog took off and would not go near it again. Too funny. He ended up taking it out and putting a regular one in.

mickey cassiba
10-01-2009, 10:04 PM
My "Good Dog Door" is when my good dog(10 y. o. Jack Russell} sits next to the door patiently waiting for me to notice.
Mickey

Scott Hildenbrand
10-01-2009, 10:42 PM
I've got a puppy mill Basset Hound who spent the first year or so of her life in a crate, neglected to the point to where she'd drink her own urine for the sake of not having any water.

She doesn't know patients. Took a year after we got her to get her to not drop on the floor and pee everywhere any time you got close to her.

Sooooo... Self service doors are what's best in my circumstances.. ;)

mickey cassiba
10-02-2009, 7:25 AM
Understand. Good luck with the pup. Sparkie was also a rescue, going to be put down because the tail bob came out wrong. Puppy millers are one of the lowest forms of life. Dante would've added an extra level, had he known about them.
Mickey

Jeff Caskie
10-02-2009, 5:55 PM
I've got a puppy mill Basset Hound who spent the first year or so of her life in a crate, neglected to the point to where she'd drink her own urine for the sake of not having any water.

She doesn't know patients. Took a year after we got her to get her to not drop on the floor and pee everywhere any time you got close to her.

Sooooo... Self service doors are what's best in my circumstances.. ;)

My basset isn't from a mill AFAIK... but she needs a dog door as well. It is not an option (for our sake as well as hers) and 2-3 am is a common time for her to have the urge. She gets lazy every three months or so thinking we won't notice.. Good girl treats are useful to keep her encouraged.

Dave Johnson29
10-02-2009, 7:56 PM
My neighbor got the electronic door. First time the dog went near it, it opened, the dog took off and would not go near it again.

I had the opposite experience. The dog was moving faster than the door could open and he tore off the bottom half of the door and jammed the mechanism. Took me hours to get it all working again and I could not get the dog to slow down. Maybe if the collar had alerted the door from 20 or 30 feet back, "dog, coming FAST!" it may have been OK.

Finally went back to the flap and let the dog come through at his own pace. The electronic one is now used as a layer for storing stuff on in the open rafters of the garage. A 300-dollar shelf if you will. :)