PDA

View Full Version : Want to build bookcases with doors, ideas?

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-30-2009, 11:18 AM
I want to build some tall bookcases (floor to ceiling) with doors to keep out dust/protect the books. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions.

Rod Sheridan
09-30-2009, 12:22 PM
I want to build some tall bookcases (floor to ceiling) with doors to keep out dust/protect the books. Anyone have some ideas or suggestions.

What kind of ideas are you looking for?

I made some for a friend out of oak veneered ply for the gables/top/bottom and fixed middle shelf, solid wood adjustable shelves/faceframes and rail/stile doors with plain glass panels.

regards, Rod.

Jerome Hanby
09-30-2009, 1:16 PM
Think Wood mag is building A barrister bookcase next issue.

Frank Drew
09-30-2009, 1:20 PM
Lewis,

Just a suggestion -- since you're thinking full height, you might consider incorporating a base cabinet in your design, with the recessed glass-doored bookcase sitting on top of the bottom cabinet's broad shelf. The base cabinet could have any combination of panel doors and/or drawers.

As for the bookcase, do you want solid glass or multi-light doors with mullions and muntins? The latter would be a lot more work but look pretty good (not necessarily better, though, since the books themselves will provide a lot of the visual interest.)

Dave Lehnert
09-30-2009, 4:01 PM
The new issue of Woodsmith may give you an idea or two.

http://www.woodsmith.com/images/issues/current/cover-large-dropshadow.jpg

Lewis Ehrhardt
09-30-2009, 9:56 PM
I've built some bookcases, but not with doors. I will most likely be using birch. As for the doors, most likely won't be glass. Not wanting to make heirloom type, just something that looks rather nice but not too fancy (time a big factor). I'll check out the Woodsmith mag. thanks for the tip.

If any of you have seen any plans, other mags please let me know. Thanks a bunch. Lewis