PDA

View Full Version : So, about 75 watts...

Bob Savage
09-30-2009, 11:01 AM
I know power has been discussed, and I think I understand the basics, but in a nutshell, what benefits would a 75 watt laser provide me from the perspective of speed and cutting depth of various substrates? Any other benefits?

This would be an Epilog, by the way.

David Fairfield
09-30-2009, 11:20 AM
75 watts will enable you to cut faster relative to lower wattage. For example stuff that I need to cut twice with 35 watts, you'll burn through in one pass, and stuff that my laser crawls through, like 1/4" ply, will zip right through at 75 watts. The higher wattage will increase your speed and therefore productivity. There are limits, as high speed is not always optimal due to other factors. I do everything I need at 35 w, but there sure have been times I wish I had the extra watts. :)

Dave

Bob Savage
09-30-2009, 11:25 AM
Thanks for the info, David.

Are you aware of any tech specs that indicate the material thickness of various substrates that can be cut with lasers of each wattage? I couldn't find that info on the Epilog site.

David Fairfield
09-30-2009, 12:06 PM
The Epilog manual has a page of materials and settings for various wattages. You can probably get a copy from Epilog. Some stuff you just have to experiment with because it varies by type, manufacturer, tree, etc.

Peck Sidara
09-30-2009, 1:34 PM
In addition to David's notes, you gain more flexability.

For example, cutting 3/8" wood (general) can be done on a 40 or 50Watt laser but would require using 100%Power and low speeds to cut all the way thru. The only variable left for you to fine tune your cuts is Frequency and even then, you'll likely have to use a higher frequency to cut all the way thru. The edge quality wouldn't be optimal.

With a 75Watt, you now have ample power, so you can run at faster speeds, not use 100%Power, adjust the frequency. All which will lead to faster cycle times and better edge quality.

The matrix David is referring to is in the owners manual, you can download that here: http://www.epiloglaser.com/laser_manuals.htm

HTH,

Bob Savage
09-30-2009, 2:20 PM
Excellent! Thanks Peck. I'm really struggling with this, because even used, it's a lot of money to spend on what's initially going to be a hobby.

Still, the Tim the Toolman Taylor in me say to do it... oh oh oh oh...

Peck Sidara
09-30-2009, 3:56 PM
Excellent! Thanks Peck. I'm really struggling with this, because even used, it's a lot of money to spend on what's initially going to be a hobby.

Still, the Tim the Toolman Taylor in me say to do it... oh oh oh oh...

Lucky for you the Helix is considered the Binford 5000 of laser engravers.