PDA

View Full Version : new laser

Kevin C. Johnson
09-30-2009, 10:11 AM
I have a new 18 x 32 ULS laser coming and need to get a compressor for the air assist. I would like to store the compressor in a un heated or cooled area. Not sure if that is possible I would like to get it out of the work area.
What is the best air assist to use?

I have not used Air assist up to this point, point me to a good education on it and the equipment. Or ULS users let me know what is the best for this unit.

Mike Null
09-30-2009, 10:23 AM
The premium compressor for your job is the Gast brand. There are many threads in the archives on this topic so I'd recommend a Sawmill Google search for "laser air assist".

Dan Hintz
09-30-2009, 11:02 AM
I use my Craftsman 33-gallon shop compressor. It ain't quiet, but I get over an hour of runtime before needing to click it back on (running at an air assist pressure of 10psi).

Bob Savage
09-30-2009, 11:21 AM
I use my Craftsman 33-gallon shop compressor. It ain't quiet, but I get over an hour of runtime before needing to click it back on (running at an air assist pressure of 10psi).

I've got a nice belt driven 33 or so gallon compressor that I'd like to use. Are you doing any filtering of the air so that moisture/oil doesn't enter into the system? If so, what are you using?

Keith Outten
09-30-2009, 12:24 PM
I ran an air line from my shop air system to my laser engraver and installed a filter/regulator right at the laser.

My shop compressor is 3HP with an 80 gallon tank, plenty of air and it is located in a building next to my shop..........no noise :)

Scott Shepherd
09-30-2009, 12:34 PM
Most important thing with the ULS is not that it needs air, but that it needs DRY air. One drop of moisture in the system can crack your lens or ruin your mirrors.

It's not a "wash" system like Epilog, it's air screens around all the mirrors and a through the nose cone system for the cutting, so all air must me completely dry. You can spend more doing that than you will on a good compressor. I think our air dryer was about $1,000.

Dan Hintz
09-30-2009, 12:44 PM
I've got a nice belt driven 33 or so gallon compressor that I'd like to use. Are you doing any filtering of the air so that moisture/oil doesn't enter into the system? If so, what are you using?
I use an oil trap and a dessicant bong... total cost was around $150. I may eventually move to a refrigerated unit.

Bob Savage
09-30-2009, 12:57 PM
I use an oil trap and a dessicant bong... total cost was around $150. I may eventually move to a refrigerated unit.

Thanks, Dan. You wouldn't happen to have handy any Grainger or other links to the specific parts, would you?

Dan Hintz
09-30-2009, 1:43 PM
Bump this post shortly after 4:00 as a reminder for me to look up the info when I get home...

Steve Clarkson
09-30-2009, 2:50 PM
Bump this post shortly after 4:00 as a reminder for me to look up the info when I get home...

Geez......got any dictation I can do for you too? Maybe get you a cup of coffee? Slippers?

Brian Robison
09-30-2009, 4:18 PM
Yeah, and I was going to go home at 3:30 tooo!
Dan, I was in Baltimore yesterday.

Dan Hintz
09-30-2009, 5:14 PM
Steve, I'm kinda partial to a filet mignon, medium... and I'll take a nice Pinot Grigio to go with that, please :)

Bob,

Pacific Air Compressors in Troutdale, OR. Item #D0503, 3/8" compact desiccant air dryer (comes with a quart of desiccant beads).

Dave Garcia
09-30-2009, 6:35 PM
Dan,

Pinot Grigio with filet mignon? Really? Hmmmm. Now I know someone is funnin' us all in this thread somewhere!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dan Hintz
09-30-2009, 8:44 PM
I'm not a fan of (most) red wines... too dark of a flavor, particularly those aged in oak (even the ones from stainless steel have too heavy of a flavor... though I did find a couple of Rose' bottles I was happy with at the last wine festival). Besides, the whole "red with meat, white with fish" is a very poor rule of thumb and isn't accepted nearly as easily these days.

Personally, I would be quite content downing an entire bottle of dessert wine (I have a real sweet tooth).

Dave Garcia
09-30-2009, 8:56 PM
Dan,

Totally agree. Never did like that "red with meat, white with fish" deal either. Where I came from if you could "tap" into the local Gallo factory holding tanks you were golden!

Guess we've really digressed here. Best get off this subject or the forum moderators will give us some grief, ya think??!! Whine with that cheese anyone??!!

Dave Garcia :)
The Wood Block, Ltd