PDA

View Full Version : New Wood Working Bench

Alan Schaffter
09-30-2009, 1:22 AM
For those who saw the video of my Adjustable Height Assembly Table (http://videos.americanwoodworker.com/video/Adjustable-Height-Assembly-Ta-2) . . . .

Here is a video of my new Adjustable Height Woodworking Bench (http://videos.americanwoodworker.com/video/Adjustable-Height-Woodworking-B). It uses a version of the legs I built for the assembly table.

John Coloccia
09-30-2009, 1:46 AM
Very nice. Ridiculously neat shop as well.

Howard Miller
09-30-2009, 6:32 AM
Alan,
you need a patent for this set-up.

Martin Shupe
09-30-2009, 3:30 PM
Alan, do you sell plans for this workbench?

What about getting it published by a magazine?

I would bet Chris Schwarz at Popular Woodworking would be interested in an article. Have you sent him a link?

Your bench is very innovative!

Dave Mura
09-30-2009, 3:38 PM
very nice!

Alan Schaffter
09-30-2009, 4:24 PM
Alan, do you sell plans for this workbench?

What about getting it published by a magazine?

I would bet Chris Schwarz at Popular Woodworking would be interested in an article. Have you sent him a link?

Your bench is very innovative!

Thanks! I have actually contemplated possibly selling plans. I started the project by doing SketchUp drawings that only need minor revision to incorporate changes I made during construction. As far as the top- see Lon Schleining's bench in the FWW shop annual from a few years ago or his book "The Workbench". It provided my inspiration for various aspects of the top- size, vises, feet and vise jaw thumbnail profiles, etc.

After seeing one of Chris's recent blogs on the PWW web site about the Roubo and some other benches, I thought he might be interested in my bench so I sent him some stills of it. But there is a long story here as well . . . . A year and a half ago I submitted a proposal for an article about my adjustable height assembly table to PWW. They accepted but things got confused and it never happened. A few months later AWW called with the result being I have a single-issue, two-part article about my adjustable height assembly table coming out in the next issue of American Woodworker Magazine (Dec/Jan 2010, #145). The first part covers making the legs while the second one covers making the torsion box top. The second part also includes some torsion box engineering for woodworkers.

Since the legs on my woodworking bench are just a variation of the ones I designed and built for my assembly table, I doubt PWW would be interested, but I am willing.