PDA

View Full Version : antique oil buffing question

Terry Achey
09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
I finsihed a couple turnings with Minwax antique oil and, while slightly darkening the pieces, I really like the outcome.

I have the beall system and I'd like to try buffing one of the pieces, but I don't want to harm the finish by being too abrasive. What do you all buff your AO fiishes with? Clean wheel with no abrasive? Or, do you use white diamond, other?

Thanks,
Terry

Robert McGowen
09-29-2009, 11:29 PM
I use antique oil almost exclusively. I use all three wheels on dark wood, and just the white diamond and wax on lighter woods. YMMV

Terry Achey
09-29-2009, 11:39 PM
Thanks, Robert. Good to know. Actually, one of my bowls has an ebony rim and I'm concerned about the white diamond getting into the open grain. I may just use the wax on that piece. How long do you let you oil "cure" before buffing?

Terry

Toney Robertson
09-30-2009, 6:50 AM
Terry,

You have already realized that you do NOT use the WD on open grained woods. With walnut and the like the WD will fill the pores and not look good.

In my experience you can buff AO in 3-4 days. I have read where people buff sooner but I like to be sure it is dry.

Toney

Bernie Weishapl
09-30-2009, 12:13 PM
Generally I wait a week or more before I buff especially if it is a really nice piece as I don't want to mess it up. As Toney said don't use WD on open grained wood especially like walnut. If you get white into the pores it is a bear to remove.

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2009, 1:31 PM
Terry - drying times for finishes vary a lot depending on where you live, temp, humidity, how old the finish is, etc. I usually wait for 3 to 4 days before even thinking about buffing. Good, simple, rule of thumb - if you can still smell the finish on the turning - it is not cured.

Terry Achey
09-30-2009, 9:55 PM
Thanks guys. I'll give it a week or so before buffing the eight coats! I'll post pics of ma sugar maple bowl w/ebony rim. I copped the design from a David Marks TV show quite some time ago. I must have saved the show on my DVR for at least a year or more. He turned a stunning low profile bowl from a nicely figured piece of English Sycamore with an ebony rim. Believe it or not, my first attempt isn't quite as perfect as Davids' :D

Terry

Paul Engle
10-01-2009, 2:50 PM
Terry, I saw the same show last year ?. nice job he did and I bet yours looks just as good. I buff sometimes but the advice to let cure is the best , I have even let stuff set 30 days to be sure finish is good and hard first, especally during the colder months, even though I use electric heat in my shop.