PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen Sink/Garbage Disposal question

Craig D Peltier
09-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Hello, we bought a Blanco Silgranit sink. Basically a composite two tub. So one hole is the drain, the other we want a garbage disposal on.
Our current sink is same configuration.
My question is, the drain hole in the sink for the disposal
1) Has a silver rim that says insinkerator on it with rubber flaps.
We want to keep the disposal, theres noting wrong with it.Do I buy that new ring and flaps as a replacemnt item for disposals? Does it come out somehow? it looks seated very tight in there.
The sink wont be coming out for another 10 days or so but want to have the plan in place.I dont really want this old ring since its beat up and the rest is new.

Another question will the new sink seated rim pop out so it can take the new rim of the garbage disposal?

Thanks

This is the new sink
http://www.homeperfect.com/invt/bla440199?ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=bla440199

Robert McGowen
09-29-2009, 11:17 PM
The silver rim that you are looking at is part of the current disposal, not part of the sink itself. There is a rather large nut on the under side that will unscrew after the old disposal is removed. This will free up the silver part that you are looking at and it will come right off. There should be a ring of plumber's putty under it and you may have to pop it loose, but it should not be a problem. You can buy a replacement ring, but you can certainly use the old one. The new sink probably just comes with a hole in it, but I may be wrong on that part. Good luck.

Mike Henderson
09-29-2009, 11:19 PM
To add to what Robert said, get yourself a can of plumber's putty and put new putty down. The old putty is probably not very good any more.

Plumber's putty is cheap and available at any of the Borgs.

Mike

Craig D Peltier
09-29-2009, 11:23 PM
After watching a video on the install of one. I see how the ring comes out, its held in by plumbers putty. The remaining question I have then is this:
At the local BORG do they sell a new rubber flapper and metal housing that sits into the sink that gets the plumbers putty?

Thanks

Robert McGowen
09-29-2009, 11:26 PM
At the local BORG do they sell a new rubber flapper and metal housing that sits into the sink that gets the plumbers putty?
Thanks

Short answer is "yes."

Long answer is that the nut under the sink holds the ring tight against the sink. The plumber's putty keeps it from leaking. You are looking at probably less than $20 for the ring, rubber flap, and a small jar of putty.

Mike Henderson
09-29-2009, 11:29 PM
After watching a video on the install of one. I see how the ring comes out, its held in by plumbers putty. The remaining question I have then is this:

Thanks
You must be able to buy those but I've never seen them at the Borg. Probably have to order from InSinkErator. Clean up the old one when you take it out before you go buy a new one. It's fairly easy to take a garbage disposal out so if you need a new part, put the old one in and order the new part. When you get the new part, take the disposal out and install the new part.

If that part is really cruddy, you may want to think about getting a new disposal because the inside is going to look worse.

Mike

Dan Friedrichs
09-30-2009, 10:37 AM
You must be able to buy those but I've never seen them at the Borg.

I've seen the InSinkErator brand ones at Lowes. The ones I bought came in a kit with two different sizes of rubber things for different models, and were located by the disposals.

Craig D Peltier
09-30-2009, 10:48 AM
Thanks for all the help. I will go to Lowes this week (end) see what I can come up with.

Tom Godley
09-30-2009, 11:16 AM
Too bad you are not close by I have a couple of new ones sitting around from recent disposal changes.

Insinkerator changed the design of the sink flange so that the rubber center guard that is used in the non batch feed units is removable. The gasket and the guard are now two different rubber parts. The flange looks to be fully compatible with the older units - just mention this if you go to buy it and it looks to be different.

Like others have said the old flange should be able to be used.

I would also look at the age of the disposal - especially if it is a builders grade unit. The cheaper units do not last all that long and you may be ripping it all out and replacing drain parts again in a few years. The new units are better and quieter and are not a direct replacement for the smaller builder models drain.