PDA

View Full Version : Back home from the BBQ!

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-19-2004, 3:12 PM
We just made it back home, safe and sound, from a simply AWESOME time in Arkie Land. Angie and I enjoyed ourselves more than we could have ever imagined. We arrived at Terry's place on Friday early afternoon, and things took off from there. Here are a few thoughts about the Central States BBQ:

First of all, Angie and I would like to thank Terry and his family for being very considerate, gracious and entertaining hosts. Folks, the Hatfield's are the finest people you could ever hope to meet. We truly enjoyed every minute of both days! (Terry is BIG FUN!) :D

Everyone who attended the BBQ were great people. Woodworkers and their families really are among the nicest people you will find. It was just awesome to meet the "People behind the Keyboard" we have come to know thru the Forums.

You just don't know what GREAT BBQ is until you laid into Terry's smoked briskit and the Ribs that Ace and Steve smoked. If anyone went away hungry, it was their own fault! Guys................you outdid yourself with that great food...........and the other items people brought, and the ladies prepared, was awesome as well. (There were TOO many good eats to mention!)

Angie and I arrived in Arkansas with many aquaintences, and left with many good friends......................I don't think it gets any better than that! ;)

The demonstrations by all the guys were really cool. David Rose steam bent Oak with his steam bending rig.............that was the neatest thing I ever saw...............pretty amazing stuff. Steve Clardy had the smart guide system, which was interesting too. The master of scroll work, Terry Quiram did some really beautiful scrolling, and spent a lot of time demo'ing and helping people on the Lathe. Dennis Peacock spent a LOT of time on the Tormek..............he sharpened a LOT of stuff both days. With all that was going on, I apologize if I forgot anyone who did a demo for the gang..............I was all over the place, so I may have missed something!

I managed to help a few guys out on the lathe, and actually did a little wood turning myself........but nothing to write home about. I may get REAL energetic and take my Delta Lathe next year.................then we can do some SERIOUS turning!

All in all, we had a wonderful time. This was SOOOO much more than I expected, and the weather was just about perfect. I finally was able to meet many buddies I have been wanting to meet for a long time. Thanks to Ace, Dennis and Terry Q. for sharing some turning stock with me, I will do my best with this wonderful wood. Thanks to everyone for the kind comments and remarks regarding some of my work I brought for display. Last but not least, thanks to Terry and Cheryl for opening their beautiful home being such gracious hosts. Angie is already talking about next year.............and to think that she wasn't going to go!

I am sure I will have more thoughts as I reflect back on the weekend happenings in Arkansas..................I willl post them later on, when I start to post my pictures. (I forgot my Digital Camera..........I thought I had it in with my SLR 35MM, but it wasn't.) I did manage to shoot a couple of rolls, and I will have them developed on CD-ROM so I can share them.

Whew.................I need a nap.............great weekend..........long drive EARLY this morning..........................and stuff to do yet this afternoon! :)

Dennis Peacock
09-19-2004, 3:44 PM
Kevin,

It was absolutely WONDERFUL to meet you and Angie at the BBQ!!! Thank YOU for coming, sharing stories, experiences and turning instruction. Maybe next year, I'll bring my PM 3520A lathe....but IT will have to sit INSIDE the shop!! :eek: :p :D

Thanks to Terry and Cheryl for opening their home and shop to a bunch of folks that have never seen each other in person before and each person there were some of the most awsome people I have ever met.!!!!

I'm too bushed to edit and post pics right now as we too just got home.

Hey Chris....I have your bowl and I will finish it up so please PM me with your mailing address. BTW, sorry for pronouncing your last name wrong. For those of you that have been pronouncing Padilla like it is spelled.....here is how it is "supposed" to be pronounced: Pa-Dee-uh (Spanish he said, so I spoke some "southern spanish" fer'im...!!!!) :rolleyes: :D

Thanks to ALL as a BBQ is not a real BBQ without each and every one of you. <b>A special thanks to Micro-Jig, Woodcraft (Greg Heppard), Waymon Campbell and others that made to door prizes a real "hit" with many.</b>

Kevin Gerstenecker
09-19-2004, 4:27 PM
Woops.................almost forgot about Waymon! Waymon, please PM me about the "Little Project" I am working on for you. I need to know a few things, so I can get this exactly as you would like it. Nothing urgent.......but I have bumped ya up to the top of the list! :D

Chris Padilla
09-20-2004, 12:55 AM
PM coming, Dennis...and THANKS!!! :D