PDA

View Full Version : Filtration Systems

David Ripley
09-19-2004, 3:08 PM
Good Day All, need a filration system for my shop which is in my two car garage, (23'x18'x8'3"). Trying to find who has what in there shop and how they like it. Don't know if I need Delta or Jet 3 speed or the less expensive ones, like Deltas AP-200. I've been cuting a lot of MDO lately. Only use my shop 7 or 8 hours a week. Thanks for any help. David

sascha gast
09-19-2004, 3:14 PM
i have the jet and love it. but this is not the only measure of dustcollection is it?? i run mine mostly after during and ufter cleanup. i'll admit i'll turn it on when it gets too dusty, but number one is a great dust collector. air filter is just to help make things even better, but you should catch the dust at the source. once in the air, you better wear a mask

sascha

Jim Becker
09-19-2004, 3:29 PM
I have the JDS 750...older version without the remote. It does what it's designed to do. But an air filtration system is NOT a substitute for a dust collection system, especially with MDF (I'm making the assumption that you really meant MDF, rather than MDO, the latter which is just plywood with a paper facing) An air filtration system will help catch the fines that do get in the air, although you'll still be breathing it. I actually rarely run mine; primarily when spraying WB finishes to help pull the dry, but suspended overspray out of the air.

Jim Ketron
09-19-2004, 4:24 PM
David I'm getting ready to build a homemade air cleaner from some 3 speed motors with two blowers on them I plan to get them done this week I'm going to take pics of how I make them. They will have a switch to turn it on while I'm in there working and when I leave I have a 60 min timer I can use when I leave And the speed controls will be on the cleaners.
have you considered making your own?
Jim

Gredo Goldenstein
09-19-2004, 4:32 PM
I have a nice old bathroom exhaust fan (electric motor and squirrel cage) that I plan on using for air filtration. I havn't built the box yet, but plan on sizing it to fit some existing air filter I already use in a much larger Air Handling Unit.

Paul Downes
09-20-2004, 4:05 PM
I picked up an old galvanized roof top squirrel cage blower, it's about the same size as a washing machine. I'm going to fab up some furnace filter holders for the three exposed sides and run this contraption hanging from the ceiling. If the kids get mouthy I'll just turn it on and stick them to it for a while. :)