PDA

View Full Version : 3M Reflective sheets

Tom Gooch
09-29-2009, 2:37 PM
I have a request to do some 3" letters out of a reflective sheet material (3M series 580). I just spent the morning researching the product and still can't say for sure if/how much PVC might be contained in this product. Even the MSDS sheets say "trade secret" in some places, and since I'm not a chemist, I don't know if the contents listed constitute PVC or not. Has anyone worked with 3M reflective sheeting? Can anyone help me with the potenital PVC content? My intention would be to kiss cut it. Tips? Tricks? Experiences? Sources? Thanks so much!

Dan Hintz
09-29-2009, 3:32 PM
Even if it contains PVC, kiss cutting should be acceptable, especially for such a short job... just be sure you have a low of airflow. If you are completely averse to PVC int he laser, vinyl cutters can be had for $200ish on eBay... if you get in at the right time, I've read tales of people getting them for <$50 shipped.

Bob Savage
09-29-2009, 3:41 PM
Even if it contains PVC, kiss cutting should be acceptable, especially for such a short job... just be sure you have a low of airflow. If you are completely averse to PVC int he laser, vinyl cutters can be had for $200ish on eBay... if you get in at the right time, I've read tales of people getting them for <$50 shipped.

Dan,

Where would one learn more about these vinyl cutters?

Thanks

Darren Null
09-29-2009, 5:34 PM
And while you're there look up heat presses as well. All in one. Like this one, for example:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/New-All-in-One-Heat-Press-Machine-Patterns-Transfer_W0QQitemZ220486140775QQcmdZViewItemQQptZL H_DefaultDomain_3?hash=item3355ff8367&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

Garrett Nors
09-29-2009, 5:58 PM
I'm sorry to be a newb, but what is "kiss cutting?"

Darren Null
09-29-2009, 6:11 PM
You go through 1 layer, or several, but not all of them. Say you have double-sided-sticky stuff with a protective layer each side...you go through the first 2 layers, but leave the final one intact to hold everything in position while you're sticking it to it's end destination.

Garrett Nors
09-29-2009, 6:15 PM
You go through 1 layer, or several, but not all of them. Say you have double-sided-sticky stuff with a protective layer each side...you go through the first 2 layers, but leave the final one intact to hold everything in position while you're sticking it to it's end destination.

Right.........lots of practice to get to that point I'm sure.

Darren Null
09-29-2009, 6:16 PM
Nah. If everything is perfectly flat, it's just a case of getting your settings exactly right. Speed, power, sorted.

Dan Hintz
09-29-2009, 8:09 PM
Where would one learn more about these vinyl cutters?
Search eBay for USCutter... some good machines for such a cheap price point.

Joe Pelonio
09-29-2009, 10:57 PM
Reflective doesn't "kiss-cut" well. Even on a plotter it has to cut slightly into the backing to peel cleanly, it's the tiny beads thing. It will leave ragged edges and tear easily. I have cut through acrylic letters with reflective "vinyl" applied to the surface, with no problem, but researched and found that (at the time) the Arlon brand engineer grade was made with the microscopic glass beads on a polyester carrier. That was a couple of years ago so I'd suggest checking it and other brands again before doing a lot of it by laser.

As for plotters, reflective takes more pressure and power to handle the weight of the roll, so if doing a lot of it I would recommend a sturdy plotter.

Dan Hintz
09-30-2009, 6:14 AM
I'll also add to Joe's comments that reflective is more harsh on knife lifetime.

AL Ursich
09-30-2009, 11:23 AM
I make the 911 signs with the 3 inch white reflective letters. I find it easier to buy the 25 pack stamped letters from Grimco.

AL