PDA

View Full Version : HF Compressor and Epilog Zing experiences.

Daniel Reetz
09-29-2009, 2:24 PM
As you may know, the Epilog Zing has an "air curtain" approach to air assist, which I've had some problems with.

First, I was using a large, oil-consuming compressor, which was excessively loud and drew over 10A current, giving me breaker problems. However, it had enough air volume to really extinguish any flame-outs and problems with vector cutting.

Annoyed with the noise, afraid of motor EMI and bothered by having to wait for that compressor to charge, I bought the Harbor Freight 96357 oilless air compressor (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93657) for use with my Zing 24 laser cutter.

First, I found that this little compressor gets really hot. It is horribly ventilated. If you remove the rear motor panel, it turns out that the bolt holes are almost perfect to mount a PC case fan. I mounted this auxilliary fan to cool the motor and it now runs cool and quiet. I will post pictures of this later.

Second, I have found that this thing is basically worthless for air-curtain based systems. The air curtain system on the Zing is like a perforated garden hose that runs along the channel that supports the lens assembly. The air enters this perforated channel on the right side of the machine. The problem is that with insufficient air volume, the rightmost little holes have more air pressure than the leftmost. But I am almost always cutting in the top left corner of the laser bed.

I also felt that the regulator on this compressor is a POS. In fact, I felt that it was probably needlessly impeding airflow from the compressor so I removed it and saw an immediate improvement in pressure in the laser. However, this improvement was not nearly enough to extinguish most flames I get from cutting 5mm ply and doesn't cool the edges of thicker acrylics.

So now, after extensive experimentation and modification, I'm thinking about returning this thing. It would be perfect for a laser with a little air assist nozzle, but it sucks for my setup. I have dreamed of making my own little air assist nozzle, but it seems like a lot of work with a high potential for failure.

If anyone has any suggestions for high CFM, low-pressure compressors, I'm game. As far as I can see, the only differences in the various HF compressors of this type are the pressure sensor and motor strength -- neither of which are helpful in my situation, as far as I can see.

Doug Griffith
09-29-2009, 2:55 PM
I use one of those annoying little air compressors as well. It appears to be a direct rip on a Paasche Model D500SR Air Compressor (http://www.paascheairbrush.com/compressors_d500.html). I also removed the regulator as you did and mounted fans on both ends. Attached is an eps file that can be used to cut on the laser.

Cheers,
Doug