PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a New Router

Jay Radke
09-29-2009, 1:48 PM
I am looking for a new router to hang in a table. I was thinking along the lines of 3HP router, as I have another that I can you for in hand work. Also thoughts on lifts would be great too. I dont want to spend a large sum of money but want some quality too.

Any suggestions??

Bill Arnold
09-29-2009, 2:06 PM
When I upgraded to a 15A (3hp) router in my table, I got the Hitachi M12V like many others on these forums. It's a variable-speed unit, has been a real workhorse and I don't regret purchasing it.

Having said that, if I ever need to replace it, I'll go with a single-speed unit and add an external speed control. This is mostly a convenience factor to keep from having to lift the router out of the table to change speeds.

Fred Hargis
09-29-2009, 2:07 PM
I am looking for a new router to hang in a table. I was thinking along the lines of 3HP router, as I have another that I can you for in hand work. Also thoughts on lifts would be great too. I dont want to spend a large sum of money but want some quality too.

Any suggestions??
I don't know how to balance the price factor in, but with no restraints, a PC 7518 in a Woodpecker PRL makes a nice setup for only about 2 months worth of groceries. Down from that (in cost) would be a Milwaukee 5625 with no lift, it has the built in through the bottom height adjustment, and all the power you'd ever want. Besides, there have been complaints about the PC's running hot (mine does) and I've never heard anyone mention that about the Milwaukee. The low priced winner, IMO, would be to get a Freud FT2200. It works without a lift, but a plungelift makes it quite nice. You might find it on sale for around $100 if your patient... I ran one of these for 12 years (actually, the FT2000; predecessor and essentially the same thing) The common complaints about it is the base opening isn't large enough for the big panel raisers and you would have to buy a 1/4" collet since it only comes with a split ring. The Hitachi m12 would be along the same lines, good, less expensive, and a very serviceable setup. If I was doing things over right now, I would probably go the 5625 route with no base. Middle of the road in cost, but nothing short in performance. Only my opinion, of course.

Cliff Holmes
09-29-2009, 2:07 PM
A long thread from yesterday ...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=121249

johnny means
09-29-2009, 2:09 PM
Is my preference. Stout motor, variable speed, soft start, and the above the table height adjustment means no need to buy an expensive lift.

Tom Cross
09-29-2009, 3:47 PM
Milwaukee 5625 is best overall for router table use. Skip the lift. You won't miss it with the Milwaukee 5625. look at www.patwarner.com (http://www.patwarner.com) for an evaluation of routers for router tables and building a simple yet very effective router table of of 3/4" MDF. It is wonderful and the top stays flat.

Jim Rimmer
09-29-2009, 9:16 PM
I have a Freud FT2000E in my RT. It's 3 1/4 HP and easy to height adjust without a lift if you don't mind bending over.

Stephen Edwards
09-29-2009, 10:48 PM
Is my preference. Stout motor, variable speed, soft start, and the above the table height adjustment means no need to buy an expensive lift.

Question, please: Does the above the table adjustment on this router mean that you don't have to unlock anything on the router itself under the table? In other words, do you simply insert the tool through the router plate and raise or lower the motor in the housing....no need to bend over to "unlock" the motor from the collar of the router base?

Thanks for the info.

Bob Carreiro
09-29-2009, 11:54 PM
1) Triton 3-1/4 HP, soft start, variable speed, auto -locking spindle when fully extended - $219.00. Couple router with...
2) "Router Raizer" by Router Technologies to adjust bit height from above table, $90.00.

Killer pair!

Bob Carreiro
Poulsbo, WA

Jay Radke
10-01-2009, 2:37 PM
Thanks for all the help. I just bought a Milwaukee through Amazon at a nice price. Now, once that is in hand I need to settle on a mounting plate and lift.

glenn bradley
10-01-2009, 3:08 PM
+1 on the 5625 in a Woodpecker PRL. If either died, I'd waste no time and just buy another without hesitation. The 5625 mounts so that the VS is right on the front; I just open the door to my dust enclosure and there it is. As a matter of fact, that's the only time I open the door. I haven't had the lift out of the table since the day I put it in.

Cliff Holmes
10-01-2009, 3:18 PM
1) Triton 3-1/4 HP

That's weird, when I was buying a new router last month I couldn't find Tritons anywhere, even on their website. Suddenly, they're available. I think I may return my Freud, Triton owners always seem inordinately pleased with them.