PDA

View Full Version : Setting Tool Rest Heights

Michael Mills
09-29-2009, 10:49 AM
Hello Creekers,

I marked my tool rest for center height for easy reference. (This is not to say that I set it to center height all, or even most, of the time.
For tools such as the Sorby Multi Tipped Hollowing Tool, with the hollowing cutter, the bit is used exactly dead center. Since the flat of the tool bar is dead center, the flat of the cutter is also dead center. For the scraper blade on the same tool, the rest would be set above center to allow to angle down. Again the mark on the tool rest post gives me visual reference in how much I can angle down and still stay at or above center.
For a bowl gouge (given that you want the tip to be at center when reaching middle of the bowl) it gives me a quick reference as to how much to lower the tool rest.
Reference line was made by setting the tool rest to center using a drive spur, cutting a small indent (1/64 inch deep?) with a hacksaw held flat on the top of the banjo and then filling in the indent with paint (or nothing if you wish). I feel the minor steel removal will not affect the strength of the post. If I break a 62/64" post I will probably have more serious problems to deal with.
The height stop is easy to adjust and about $2.79 at AutoZone for two. Most turners that I have seen place one hand on the rest post to maintain the height, loosen the post, rotate the rest, and retighten the post. This clamp only carries the weight of the tool rest. If you are hollowing a bowl with a gouge and the clamp is used for the height, just unlock the post from the banjo and you can rotate it 360 without the height changing. Collars with setscrews are made for the same purpose but then you have to keep up with another allen wrench to fit the collar. So far the wings on the clamps have not interfered with anything I have turned and they are easy to grasp.
Sorry about the wordiness.
Mike
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128860&d=1254168364 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=128860&d=1254168364)

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-29-2009, 11:20 AM
Another way to accomplish the same thing (maybe even cheaper and faster) is to use a couple different lengths of PVC pipe which slip over the post. The pipe holds the rest at the prescribed height while you rotate the rest. I use just two different sizes, one a little longer for skew work. Works for me. :)

Kyle Iwamoto
09-29-2009, 12:45 PM
Another way to accomplish the same thing (maybe even cheaper and faster) is to use a couple different lengths of PVC pipe which slip over the post. The pipe holds the rest at the prescribed height while you rotate the rest. I use just two different sizes, one a little longer for skew work. Works for me. :)

WOW, awesome idea. You don't mind if I steal this idea do you?

Maybe you should cut a bunch of different heights, color code them, put them on a string and patent it.

Dick Strauss
09-29-2009, 8:55 PM
Kyle,
People have been doing the PVC pipe thing for many years....

Thomas Canfield
09-29-2009, 10:50 PM
You can also split the PVC section and use velcro straps glued to the sections to secure them. The velcro straps I found were about 1/2" wide and found in the garden section at Lowes for tying up plants. You can then easily change out the height section without removing the tool rest but have different ones for gouge, scraper, or whatever.

ROY DICK
09-30-2009, 7:59 AM
You can also split the PVC section and use velcro straps glued to the sections to secure them. The velcro straps I found were about 1/2" wide and found in the garden section at Lowes for tying up plants. You can then easily change out the height section without removing the tool rest but have different ones for gouge, scraper, or whatever.
Great idea. Thanks.

Roy

Michael Mills
09-30-2009, 10:39 AM
OK, I admit I can be slow. :confused: but….
I can't grasp how using PVC is quicker. If you lock the tool rest into the height you want and cut a small groove where it meets the top of the banjo with an engraving tool, a dremel, or a hacksaw it is always there. If you want three, fine, cut three and paint them red, white, and blue. Do it once and it is done. Nothing to install or remove forever.
BYW, the small grooves in the tool post and the use of the winged clamp are mutually exclusive.
Mark the post and don’t use a clamp.
Use a clamp and don’t mark the post.
Or do both.
Or do neither.
Mike

John Staerk
09-30-2009, 10:57 AM
I really like the clamp idea, Mike. Thanks. john

John Staerk
09-30-2009, 11:01 AM
Kudos, Mike, I really like the clamp idea. Thanks. john

Kyle Iwamoto
09-30-2009, 4:59 PM
Kyle,
People have been doing the PVC pipe thing for many years....

Sorry, I'm a little slow. New idea to me....