PDA

View Full Version : Reassemble TS after moving into basement?

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-29-2009, 7:20 AM
I thought about posting this in the Workshop section, but it's more about the tool than the location.

I'm thinking of getting a new cabinet saw to replace my current saw (possibly a Sawstsop PCS, but I'm considering others too). Problem is, my workshop is in my basement and the only way in is down the bulkhead stairs from outside. Assuming I'd have to slightly "disassemble" the saw to get it down (probably take the rails and top off), how easy is sit to put back together again "right"?

Curt Harms
09-29-2009, 7:31 AM
I thought about posting this in the Workshop section, but it's more about the tool than the location.

I'm thinking of getting a new cabinet saw to replace my current saw (possibly a Sawstsop PCS, but I'm considering others too). Problem is, my workshop is in my basement and the only way in is down the bulkhead stairs from outside. Assuming I'd have to slightly "disassemble" the saw to get it down (probably take the rails and top off), how easy is sit to put back together again "right"?

I had the same problem with a G1023. The top is held on with 4 bolts. The thing to watch is if there are shims between the table and base. Make sure the same shims go back at the same place during reassembly. I also removed the motor but probably wouldn't have had to. The top and wings make up most of the weight. One of the benefits of the cabinet style saw is the ease of alignment. Just move the top as required once reassembled. It's pretty easy to do and cabinet saws break down pretty easily.

HTH

Kent A Bathurst
09-29-2009, 7:47 AM
My Unisaw's original location was thru the family room, two quick 90* turns in the kitchen and down the stairs. Everything came off - top, motor cover, table, rails, etc. No problem. Then, 5 years later, back to parts, up the stairs, and moved to GA. No problem. The only thing I needed help with was someone holding the extension wing aligned so I could get it bolted flush + level. Plus - for the move to GA, I bagged the hardware by function, and made notes that I stuck in the baggie - helped a LOT when I reassembled 30 days later.

Same program with Powermatic 60A jointer, Delta DC-380 planer, bandsaw, DC, everything else.

OH - a friend taught woodshop at the local highschool, and thru him I hired 3 guys from the wrestling team to lug the stuff down and back up -

Rod Sheridan
09-29-2009, 7:51 AM
Hi John, if you take the top off a cabinet saw, you will need to re-align the saw.

I would suggest taking the extension wings, rails etc off, and leaving the top on the saw.

Two people and a hand cart will have no problem whatsoever moving that down stairs.

Regards, Rod.

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-29-2009, 8:00 AM
Thanks for the feedback/info. With the rails (and I assume extension wing) removed, the specs on SS.com indicate it's 265 lbs. that's not as bad as I thought....2 people should be able to deal with that.....

Kent A Bathurst
09-29-2009, 8:02 AM
Hi John, if you take the top off a cabinet saw, you will need to re-align the saw.

I would suggest taking the extension wings, rails etc off, and leaving the top on the saw.

Two people and a hand cart will have no problem whatsoever moving that down stairs.

Regards, Rod.

You are exzctly right - I was in error - I did NOT take off the top for the exact reason you mention. ooops.

Zach England
09-29-2009, 8:06 AM
I had to do this to get my Jet cabinet saw into my tiny 1920 shelf basement. I had to take the entire top off and remove all the knobs and other hardware from the cabinet. It was a pain, but it worked.

Michael Peet
09-29-2009, 8:53 AM
Reading this with interest as this is my exact situation (SS PCS on the way).

BTW, the PCS was backordered at least 45 days when I ordered it at WC last month. You might want to get your name on the list now ;).

Mike

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-29-2009, 9:06 AM
BTW, the PCS was backordered at least 45 days when I ordered it at WC last month. You might want to get your name on the list now ;)

Good to know. I am (or was) curious as to what the wait is.