PDA

View Full Version : Best glue for east sandpaper damage in a drum sander

Joe Jensen
09-29-2009, 1:33 AM
Now that I have a drum sander I have been pondering if different glues would be less bad for the sandpaper in a drum sander. I know PVA glue is bad. What about epoxy or hide glue?

Rob Cunningham
09-29-2009, 8:08 AM
Don't use your drum sander as a glue removing tool. :eek:.
Scrape off as much glue as possible before running the boards /glue ups through the sander and you should be fine. I usually scrape the glue with an old chisel before it fully sets. Also, it helps to run your glue ups through the sander at a slight angle.

Joe Jensen
09-29-2009, 9:59 AM
Don't use your drum sander as a glue removing tool. :eek:.
Scrape off as much glue as possible before running the boards /glue ups through the sander and you should be fine. I usually scrape the glue with an old chisel before it fully sets. Also, it helps to run your glue ups through the sander at a slight angle.

I would never run a panel through with glue on it. I also don't plane boards with glue on them.

In the time I've had the PM dual drum sander I've observed that is lightly loaded the paper lasts A LONG TIME. The sander has tons of power, but if I overload the paper even a little, it loads up and is then ruined. This can happen in one pass. I was wondering if the glue between the boards would make this happen faster or worse, and if so, is there a better glue.

Sam Babbage
09-30-2009, 6:57 AM
If you are removing (virtually) all glue on the surface of the panel then the volume of glue the sandpaper is exposed to is approaching zero. It shouldn't be a concern, but if I were to hazard a guess it would be the order hide glue, fully-cured epoxy, pva, not-fully-cured epoxy that I would want going through the WBS at work. (Same principle)

Rob Cunningham
09-30-2009, 8:08 AM
I always take light passes on the drum sander and don't have any loading of the paper. Does your sander have variable speed on the feed belt? I find good results with light stock removal and faster feed rate

Philip Rodriquez
09-30-2009, 10:53 AM
Scrape, belt sand, then drum sand. Additionally, I typically try to stop around 80 grit.