PDA

View Full Version : Day 8 still smoke free

Jim Kountz
09-29-2009, 12:53 AM
Its day 8 and Im feeling great!! I couldnt have picked a better time to quit smoking. Our band Lonesome Highway goes to Nashville this week for IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Assoc) and we have three showcases to do while we are there. The voice is already getting better and I can breathe deep!!
Its all good so far!!
Sorry if the no smoking posts are getting old but it helps me to share my success of quitting. Makes me feel good about the whole thing and keeps me positive.

Mitchell Andrus
09-29-2009, 7:45 AM
Good for you - keep it up.

What's the biggest hurdle so far.... Chemical, social or habit? I'm sure being able to walk into public spaces without smelling it makes a big difference.

Does the band have a website?

JohnT Fitzgerald
09-29-2009, 7:50 AM
Good work Jim! Keep it up!

Jim Kountz
09-29-2009, 7:55 AM
Good for you - keep it up.

What's the biggest hurdle so far.... Chemical, social or habit? I'm sure being able to walk into public spaces without smelling it makes a big difference.

Does the band have a website?

Absolutely the habit for me. I find myself reaching for them in the truck when Im driving by instinct. Theres a place in my dash where I would keep them and I could reach over and grab them. Found myself doing that yesterday when there was none there to grab!!

We do have a website:
www.lhway.com

Robert Parrish
09-29-2009, 8:16 AM
43 years and still free!

Belinda Barfield
09-29-2009, 8:25 AM
Keep posting Jim! I'm still cheering for you and I love a good success story! :)

Bill Arnold
09-29-2009, 8:30 AM
Good job, Jim. Keep up the good work!

I've been smoke free for 35 years. All it takes is wanting to stay smoke free. The only "chemical" products I used were chewing gum and Certs. Another psychological process I used was to keep a pen in my pocket all the time so it was handy to hold in my fingers.
;)

David Christopher
09-29-2009, 9:23 AM
Jim, if posting on here helps you stay quit, then by all means post as much as needed....Im sure no one will mind

Ken Fitzgerald
09-29-2009, 10:08 AM
Jim,

It's been 3 1/2 years since I quit a 41 year 1 1/2 pack/day habit. Every once in a while when I under great stress at work....I go to my company van and find myself reaching for a pack.....and of course, there's none there.

Art Mulder
09-29-2009, 10:09 AM
Our band Lonesome Highway goes to Nashville this week for IBMA (International Bluegrass Music Assoc) and we have three showcases to do while we are there.

Congratulations, Jim.

Are you concerned about Nashville? What I mean--- I hope you're not going to be playing in any smoky bars, as that would really be tough.

I've known a few people who've had a hard time quitting because of the social aspect -- if their friends/associates were still smoking it was very hard.
I remember one girl who was basically thinking that the only way she could quit was to give up her friends, who all smoked.

...art

Brian Kent
09-29-2009, 10:17 AM
Hey Jim.

Please keep posting. I'm a part of your cheering crowd here so I want the daily update. Kind of like following your favorite baseball team.

Brian

Jim O'Dell
09-29-2009, 10:24 AM
Congrats Jim. keep it up!!! We're pulling for ya. Jim.

glenn bradley
09-29-2009, 10:25 AM
Go Jim, go! You can make it!!!

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2009, 10:32 AM
Jim - Congrats!

If you think you are feeling better already - just wait as you will continue to notice improvements for the next couple of months! Just remember - it is mind over matter and you have already kicked the physical addiction!

Best of luck with the Nashville gig! Hopefully someone will offer you guys the Standard Rich & Famous Contract! Have fun!

Rick Dennington
09-29-2009, 10:43 AM
Jim: I know one thing for sure--smoking does effect the singing voice.
I also play bluegrass music(I play guitar, a little mandolin, and upright bass), and been doing it for about 35 years. Years ago I had a band called Southwind from Memphis, TN, and we went to the IBMA awards twice, and played several SPBGMA award shows,too. I sing lead, tenor, high tenor, and beat on an old '46 Martin herringbone. Trying to hit the high notes gets tough sometimes, cause I been smoking about 48 years. Stick with it.
Do you know Doyle Lawson(and Q.S.)? I recently bought a '51 Gibson F-12 mandolin from him---all original, original case, etc.--- sweet!!

What do you play? You said you sang-- what part(s)?
Has your band ever been to IBMA or SPBGMA before? It's a lot of fun, and soooo much pickin' !!! I also take it you love to work the wood like the rest of us. Good luck at IBMA, and knock 'em dead. Rick D.
Drop me a PM sometimes-- we'll talk bluegrass!! I used to know lots of pickers in the business.

Ray Chalenski
09-29-2009, 6:15 PM
25 years and still cigarette free.Although I have had an occasional good cigar over the past few years. But did not inhale. Now get ready for your taste buds to clear up. You will be happy to experience what food actually tastes like.
Keep it up Jim.

Paul Ryan
09-29-2009, 6:35 PM
I think it gets easier when you start to feel better. Congrats Jim.

Mitchell Andrus
09-29-2009, 7:55 PM
We do have a website:
www.lhway.com (http://www.lhway.com)

On Youtube: Little Maggie

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MisKFY6Tfk&feature=channel

I'm impressed. Your niche reminds me of O'Brother, Where Art Thou?

I play with a few banjo players (Mummers string band) but not one of them pick. It's strumming all the way. Too bad, we could use the highlights at concerts. Our fiddle player could give your guy a run though....

You need a bass saxophone?

John Keeton
09-29-2009, 8:42 PM
Jim, the real question is - have you sat down and put a pencil to the $$ you are saving and will be able to spend on new woodworking toys?? I mean, after all, it was already in the outgo side of the budget anyway.:D Momma won't mind, and you will be livin' longer, too. Oh wait, she won't get the life insurance money as quick as she thought. Come to think of it, she may not be happy at all about this.......:rolleyes:

Jim Becker
09-29-2009, 9:07 PM
Keep it going, Jim! And yes...I have no doubt your voice will really be shining even more being smoke-free.

Rick Moyer
10-01-2009, 5:24 AM
No smoking on your birthday!!!!!;)

btw, Happy Birthday.

Geoffrey Smith
10-01-2009, 7:50 AM
Congratulations! I am pulling for you and hope you have a blast at IMBA!

David Christopher
01-24-2010, 10:54 PM
Jim, are you still smoke free,

Frank Bierline
01-26-2010, 9:28 PM
Congratulations, Jim, and hang in there. I quit when the (PX) price went to $.35 ($3.50 a carton). That was when I was in the Air Force, slightly more than 40 years ago. I actually carried 3/4 of a pack around for a few months to remind me that I could beat them.