PDA

View Full Version : Dark Maple Hollow Form - Finished Photo

Steve Schlumpf
09-28-2009, 9:31 PM
This is from the same maple source as this thread, http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=88845 and it has a lot going for it! Lots of worm holes, a few small cracks, bark inclusions, color variation and lots of tight curl.

This one is 8 ¼” diameter x 5 ¼” high by 1/8” thick. Sanded to 320 grit and so far it has only one saturated coat of Minwax Wipe-On Poly. Wanted to take a few photos of the piece to show off all the variations without having to deal with any glare issues.

128885 128886 128887 128888 128889

As always, your comments, critiques and opinions are welcome!

Thanks for looking!

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2009, 9:45 PM
Steve that is a pretty one. I really like the wood color and it does have alot going for it.

Toney Robertson
09-28-2009, 9:45 PM
Very nice Steve. You really got this HF thing down.

Is the inside stained or is it just the shadows that make it appear dark?

Toney

Bill Bolen
09-28-2009, 9:49 PM
Another nice one Steve, Love the color...Bill...

Richard Madison
09-28-2009, 9:54 PM
Another very nice one Steve. Appears you have got a handle on the 1/8" thickness. What's next? Maybe 1/16", some more dyes, pyrography, piercing? Looking forward to the next evolution.

Joseph M Lary
09-28-2009, 10:00 PM
It has good shape i like fugured wood & holes that makes a peice. Im going to have to brake down and get something so I can do hollow forms , still looking want to get the most for my money.

You dyed a HF green about a week ago did you use the powder or the liq dye and how long did you leave it in for.

Thanks

charlie knighton
09-28-2009, 10:12 PM
very nice...

Jeff Nicol
09-29-2009, 5:57 AM
Steve, Love the dark holes and the subtle gray spalting. It looks like it has some spots of figure near the opening, might have to see that one in person to get the full effect!

Thanks for keeping us inspired,

Jeff

Eugene Wigley
09-29-2009, 8:10 AM
Steve, you have done it again. You do some very nice hollow forms. Thanks for posting this.

Alan Trout
09-29-2009, 8:14 AM
Steve,

Very nice form and really interesting piece of wood.

Good Work.

Alan

Rob Cunningham
09-29-2009, 8:51 AM
Nice one Steve. There is a lot going on with that wood. I like the soft satin finish the way it is.
One question on your HF's: Do you rough them out green, let them dry, then finish turn, or rough and finish turn then let them dry?

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2009, 9:44 AM
Thanks for all the kind words everyone - I do appreciate it!

Meant to get back to everyone last night but we were & still are experiencing our first big fall storm and we lost power around 11 pm. Always something!

Toney - the inside looks dark because of lighting.

Richard - next evolution eh? Not sure what that would be but have been giving thought to everything you mentioned. Still think I want to play around with dyes a little more. Joe Landon sparked my interest with the variations he gets using multiple colors.

Joseph - glad you like the form. The green hollow form was dyed using powdered RIT clothing dye mixed with denatured alcohol so it would dry fast. I use 1" foam brushes to apply the dye and then sand everything back a little to reveal the grain.

Rob - I use green wood, rough out all my turnings first, DNA, finish turn at my convenience when dry.

Chris Rae
09-29-2009, 11:30 AM
Very pretty piece Steve! Interesting piece of wood and great form.

Alan Tolchinsky
09-29-2009, 4:06 PM
Very nice Steve. I like the proportions and the grain is beautiful. I'm learning a lot from you.

Dwight VanSickle
09-29-2009, 5:03 PM
Steve,

Awesome job. Looks like you been busy on you lathe.

Dwight

Clara Koss
09-29-2009, 5:20 PM
no comments needed!!!!! i'm speachless at the beauty of this piece as always on your work....:p

Bill Sherman
09-29-2009, 5:47 PM
Beautiful piece, love the form. What kind of rig are you using for hollowing? Nice photography,too.

Bill

George Guadiane
09-29-2009, 6:10 PM
First of all, you are PROLIFIC, which makes it difficult for ME to go out and turn something AND comment on all of your beautiful work...:rolleyes:

Second, there is the beautiful work which gets to be intimidating after a while...:cool:

Third, I'm getting bored with "Nice wood, nice form, nice finish," and/or superlative variations on that theme, so could you post a stinker, just for a change, OH, and take a day off???;)

alex carey
09-29-2009, 7:58 PM
nice piece, love the shape and the grain, tons going on.

David E Keller
09-29-2009, 9:31 PM
Love the form. I have a photography question regarding the figure/curl. I've noticed in a few photos that pieces are described as having curl, but I don't see the curl very well in the photos. Is there something that can be done with lighting, exposure, etc. to make that curly figure more pronounced? Just wondering because I have some curly maple and curly koa blanks that I've yet to turn and would love to try posting photos, but I want to be able to show off that curl.

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2009, 9:51 PM
David - most of the time showing off curly is no big deal. It just grabs the light and commands attention! On this piece - and I am sure others - the curl is there but it is not as pronounced as I would like to have it. If it is a question of photography - then I would have to think that you will need to position your lighting such that the curl is highlighted. Photos have a tendency to flatten out all the reflections we get with curl - so I have to think the only way to counteract that would be to highlight the curl as much as possible - and then monitor your photos as far as exposure to make sure you capture the effect you are seeking.

Paul Engle
09-30-2009, 2:46 PM
Steve, excellent indeed as always. I had the same thought about " evolution" and I really enjoy doing the index/Ornamental work on some , I say some ... of the turnings I do. I have yet to try the dye and index work together but that sounds really intresting once one could figure out how to keep the dye/s from running ... maybe a gel but the fibers would draw it in to some extent ??? Someone mentioned acrylics like Pho Bhin uses but I don't want to paint so much as use the coloring subdued and second or third to the OT and the turned shape . One of your HF's would be a great place to start and as soon as I get the latest round of boxes I have mounted up for OT work for Christmas gifts done, I think I will try one ( HF) of lesser size than yours and see what the group thinks. If you have any suggestions , please let me know !!;)

Steve Schlumpf
09-30-2009, 3:11 PM
Paul - thanks for the kind words!

Only suggestion I can come up with regarding hollow forms would be to focus more on the external shape instead of trying to get the walls super thin. A good form will grab attention no matter how thick the piece is - but a bad form - well lets just say it would be considered a learning experience!

I look forward to seeing your HF - when the time comes. If you have any questions about HFs - at least pertaining to the way I do things - please let me know and I'll do my best to answer.

Here is a photo of the HF with the final gloss finish applied.

George Morris
09-30-2009, 8:45 PM
Very nice HF. Very good form and finish is beautiful!

Richard Madison
09-30-2009, 8:52 PM
Looks good glossy Steve. And seems to make some of that figure "sparkle" a bit.

Paul Engle
10-01-2009, 2:57 PM
Steve,
That Gloss is perfect. I will take you up on the offer and will PM when I am ready to set up to turn , I have one last piece of 5" x 10" x 10" burled maple ((( and may try to do either one nice one or two vase shaped smaller ones :confused: .... though I really like the shape of the one you did :D )) that I want to do, but will practice on some scrap first .

Harvey Ghesser
10-01-2009, 9:00 PM
Steve,

Just awesome....You're an inspiration....I love the form.

Best,

Harv