PDA

View Full Version : woodworking clubs?

John Kali
09-28-2009, 6:28 PM
I'm not sure if this is the right place for this, but here goes. Basically I am a newbie to woodworking, the only things Ive made are spearguns, and cutting boards (weird combo I know), and am looking for a club to join. I don't have anybody to teach me, and know only what I have read online. While I am learning slowly, I really dont like having to learn the hard way every time I attempt a new project. Also, I would like to get into turning sometime soon.

Ive scoured the net without much success in locating a club close by. Does anybody here know of one near by? Im in Rockledge, Florida.
Thanks in advance, John K

Carroll Courtney
09-28-2009, 7:37 PM
I have ask the same question and in the same boat as you.And I'm running out of time(getting older) The answer that keeps coming up is to check into the local Woodcraft store.I have only taken one class and it was nice,but more of a sales pitch than anything.I did learn alot and love it,just had to put up with the guy saying you need this item or you need that item.I will be taking a turning class to help cut down on the learning curve in the future.Check out the Woodcraft store and see what they have to offer----Carroll

John Branam
09-28-2009, 7:52 PM
I found my local woodworking club by searching online. You may also want to check and see if there is a Yahoo group made up of woodworkers in your area.

Myk Rian
09-28-2009, 8:08 PM
Google turns up a whole bunch of Florida WW clubs. Just type in;
florida woodworking club
It can't be easier.

John Shuk
09-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Funny. Don't know about local clubs there but I was born in Rockledge, Fl. in 1969.

John Kali
09-29-2009, 11:48 AM
Google turns up a whole bunch of Florida WW clubs. Just type in;
florida woodworking club
It can't be easier.

Woodworking clubs in Florida, and woodworking clubs that are actually close to me are two totally different things. Plus, I have already tried to google clubs near my area. Mostly came up with non related things like "Orlando Custom furniture".

Anyway, thanks for the replies. Maybe the local community college will offer some courses.

Josh Reet
09-29-2009, 11:53 AM
Go talk to the guys at your local woodworking or hardwood store.

Other than that, store classes, community college classes, parks/rec classes, etc would all be good places. You'd learn a few things and the instructors would be able to point you in the right direction.

I personally think the internet teaches most of what you need to get going these days. But I'm no expert.

Matt Meiser
09-29-2009, 1:01 PM
If there's a local club, your local store probably knows about it. Here's a a list to search:

http://www.finewoodworking.com/SkillsAndTechniques/SkillsAndTechniquesArticle.aspx?id=28166

I've been a member of a club for a number of years now and I think its well worth it. If nothing else, its a good chance to develop friendships with people who have tools you don't have. :D For me its been much more than that.

Mike Henderson
09-29-2009, 1:40 PM
In my experience you'll do a WHOLE lot better taking classes at the local community college. I joined the local woodworking club but all they did was have meetings. They would bring in a speaker but it was not something that would really help a beginning woodworker.

If there's no community college near you, look for short course classes at Woodcraft, etc. In addition to the woodworking skills, a good class will teach you safety, which is extremely important.

The best way to learn woodworking is a combination of classroom instruction and "see-do" practical instruction. A structured program like you find at a community college is one of the best vehicles and is usually lower cost than other alternatives.

Mike

John Kali
09-29-2009, 1:56 PM
Thanks everyone, I just called the local community college a bit ago, and they don't offer any woodworking classes. Oh well, I'm sure I can find more then enough info on this site to help me progress.

Tom Walz
09-29-2009, 7:46 PM
There are 19 Florida clubs on our list at

http://www.carbideprocessors.com/woodworkingclubs.htm#fl

Not sure how many are near you. Wouldn't hurt to contact some of them not near you and ask them. They may know about clubs we don't.

Tom

John Shuk
09-29-2009, 7:59 PM
You may be able to find other woodworkers through the American Association of Woodturners site. Though the focus is on turning in my experience many members enjoy flat work as well.