PDA

View Full Version : I need help right now!!!!

James Jaragosky
09-28-2009, 6:21 PM
I have the chance to purchase this machine
2007 Universal Laser Engraver V-460 50 Watt

I must say that I am more worried about taking a large sum of money across state, to a place I do not know, to a stranger that I have not met, who may really have this machine or not; than I was about sending money to china to purchase a machine.

I can get a top of the line 80 watt from China for what this will cost me so the pricing on the universal is very tempting. I am just worried about being taken.
Can I get a serial number from the seller and validate it with universal.

Any suggestions are welcome.
Also I must decide tonight to get this price or it will go to the next guy.
Jim J.
I need help right now!!!!

David Fairfield
09-28-2009, 6:30 PM
Why's he pressuring you on the time? What's the hurry. :confused:

Larry Bratton
09-28-2009, 6:33 PM
He needs the money..if it's cheap, it's a fire sale.

Steve Clarkson
09-28-2009, 6:35 PM
Or the cops are on his trail...........

Bob Lloyd
09-28-2009, 6:40 PM
How much are you talking about? Every tool or machine that I have bought on Craigslist has been with cash always going to meet someone on their turf that I have never met before. How did you hear about it? Does he want cash or might he take Paypal or a bankers check?

Bob Savage
09-28-2009, 6:45 PM
Also I must decide tonight to get this price or it will go to the next guy.
Jim J.
I need help right now!!!!

James,

I would absolutely pass on this system. There's generally a reason for the "you need to make a decision NOW" offers, and usually, it's not a good reason.

The manufacturer probably will not clear the S/N for you, but I'm pretty sure your local distributor will if you let them know what the story is.

Either way, unless the guy was down the street from me and I could validate that there's no lien or other issue causing the "fire sale," I'd forget about it.

James Jaragosky
09-28-2009, 6:55 PM
James,

I would absolutely pass on this system. There's generally a reason for the "you need to make a decision NOW" offers, and usually, it's not a good reason.

The manufacturer probably will not clear the S/N for you, but I'm pretty sure your local distributor will if you let them know what the story is.

Either way, unless the guy was down the street from me and I could validate that there's no lien or other issue causing the "fire sale," I'd forget about it.
This was a eBay item that I was second bidder on. I made a bid of 6500.00 this morning, and was instantly out bid. I just got home to a second chance offer with a note that if I did not respond that it would go to the next lowest bidder. It is a 6-hour drive to pick it up. The original offer post on ebay did not include pictures. I have just sent a email looking for a serial # pictures and the sellers phone number.
That is the whole story so far; other that rabbit lasers just made me a super amazing offer on a 60 watt with all the bells and whistles. I would much rather have the universal, but I am afraid of getting burned.

Bob Lloyd
09-28-2009, 6:58 PM
From what I have heard, second chance offers on Ebay are often suspect.

Darren Null
09-28-2009, 7:08 PM
That 'second chance' stuff gives me more pause for thought than if you had won the item outright. The eBay selling system has been open for ages for spoofed 'second chance' offers on high value items. Can you take a mate along; who you can drop off somewhere with the money? Just so long as you don't have it on you at the time. Better yet withdraw the cash from a bank in the town IF the seller turns out to be kosher- you get video then.

Can you insist that you see the machine working? Is it a small enough town that the local cops would know the state of play with the locals ie, the local laser engraver was currently in Malibu?

Sounds like a good price and it *could* be genuine. Be very very careful though.

I'm not liking:
> Second chance offer
> No pictures
> Sudden hurry

Did you contact the seller for more info through eBay, or have you switched to private email?

James Jaragosky
09-28-2009, 7:15 PM
That 'second chance' stuff gives me more pause for thought than if you had won the item outright. The eBay selling system has been open for ages for spoofed 'second chance' offers on high value items. Can you take a mate along; who you can drop off somewhere with the money? Just so long as you don't have it on you at the time. Better yet withdraw the cash from a bank in the town IF the seller turns out to be kosher- you get video then.

Can you insist that you see the machine working? Is it a small enough town that the local cops would know the state of play with the locals ie, the local laser engraver was currently in Malibu?

Sounds like a good price and it *could* be genuine. Be very very careful though.

I'm not liking:
> Second chance offer
> No pictures
> Sudden hurry
Second chance offers were a problem in the past for sure; but I thought that this was fixed with the anonymous bidder system. no one but the seller should have my information. Anyway, I want this so bad I can taste it. I would go get it before Saturday if it turns out to be legit.

Mike Mackenzie
09-28-2009, 7:25 PM
Have you received the serial # If they do not supply this to you then I would guess it is a scam. I had a similar situation here in CA. With a V460-50 watt. I made an offer to the seller and he accepted it and wanted me to send him a deposit. I told him that he would have to give me the S/N and I never heard from them again.

Be careful and demand the serial # or walk away. If it is legit he should have nothing to hide. Most leins are through the leasing companies. And the S/N will clear that up.

Bob Savage
09-28-2009, 7:37 PM
I would much rather have the universal, but I am afraid of getting burned.

James, please be extra careful that you don't get burned. There are too many scumbags leveraging the Internet and successfully taking honest people to the cleaners nowadays.

Part of the scam game is to create a sense of urgency within the buyer in order to get their emotions running wild. The thought the deal of a lifetime is enough to get many of us into a position where we throw reason out the door, and end up scammed.

James Jaragosky
09-28-2009, 7:43 PM
Have you received the serial # If they do not supply this to you then I would guess it is a scam. I had a similar situation here in CA. With a V460-50 watt. I made an offer to the seller and he accepted it and wanted me to send him a deposit. I told him that he would have to give me the S/N and I never heard from them again.

Be careful and demand the serial # or walk away. If it is legit he should have nothing to hide. Most leins are through the leasing companies. And the S/N will clear that up.

Thanks for the information. I am very suspicious at the moment. I really want to get a new laser but the wife has me on a very short financial leash.
And for good reason when it comes to tools I have a weak spot.
I need to get a new machine soon; I have some orders that will be coming due real soon, and my little rabbit just cant cut anything with any kind of production due to the lack of air assist.

Larry Bratton
09-28-2009, 7:46 PM
James:
Jim McGrew taught me this,tell the guy that you will go to your bank..have a bank check made in his name. Then send him a copy of it to bind the deal. Then, when you go and check it out and decide to finish the deal, give him the check (that you have in your vehicle under lock and key) Be sure and get a bill of sale with certification that their are no liens are other encumbrances. Any documentation that he has showing where he paid for it is helpful in that process. If he won't go for that, then back out of it.

I have sold lots of stuff for cash using Craigs List. I have had people bring me thousands of dollars in cash, but I have usually had a phone conversation with them and get a feel for the person. You can tell if someone is BS ing.

Darren Null
09-28-2009, 7:50 PM
If you've got until Saturday there's plenty of time. If the seller is genuine he'll furnish you with pics and a serial number. Don't panic.

Keep cool and think of what you have to do between here & then:

Verification -if possible- of the serial number, with particular attention to whether there are any loans attached to the machine.

Is the machine working & what sort of condition is it in?

Arranging transfer of the money while eliminating the chance of simply being mugged (not all scams are sophisticated), Take a mate with you.

Logistics of getting the machine back home. Do you need to get hold of a van or flatbed?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

A genuine seller won't have any problem providing you with details, provided it's not too much of a PITA to do. Serial number and photos are a reasonable request.

James Jaragosky
09-28-2009, 7:54 PM
James:
Jim McGrew taught me this,tell the guy that you will go to your bank..have a bank check made in his name. Then send him a copy of it to bind the deal. Then, when you go and check it out and decide to finish the deal, give him the check (that you have in your vehicle under lock and key) Be sure and get a bill of sale with certification that their are no liens are other encumbrances. Any documentation that he has showing where he paid for it is helpful in that process. If he won't go for that, then back out of it.

I have sold lots of stuff for cash using Craigs List. I have had people bring me thousands of dollars in cash, but I have usually had a phone conversation with them and get a feel for the person. You can tell if someone is BS ing.
Right now I am not going to do anything without a serial number that I can verify. IF it checks out, I will drive down that day or the next and visually check out the machine. If that goes well I will pay cash and take it with me. If he will not go for that, I will pass.

James Jaragosky
09-28-2009, 8:03 PM
If you've got until Saturday there's plenty of time. If the seller is genuine he'll furnish you with pics and a serial number. Don't panic.

Keep cool and think of what you have to do between here & then:

Verification -if possible- of the serial number, with particular attention to whether there are any loans attached to the machine.

Is the machine working & what sort of condition is it in?

Arranging transfer of the money while eliminating the chance of simply being mugged (not all scams are sophisticated), Take a mate with you.

Logistics of getting the machine back home. Do you need to get hold of a van or flatbed?
-------------------------------------------------------------------

A genuine seller won't have any problem providing you with details, provided it's not too much of a PITA to do. Serial number and photos are a reasonable request.

I got to boys in their 20's both over 6'2" and in the 260 lb range, and we have a truck.

I have calmed down; the price was to good to be true which got me going. To eBay’s credit, I have gotten some unbelievable deals in the past, so this deal is not necessarily a scam; but I am very cautious by nature.

I have wanted to get my hands on a local supported machine ever since I visited Frank Corkers set up. looks like I will will sit tight for now. thanks for the suggestions and support. I will post on the outcome. Either way I will probobaly buy something in the next day or so.
Jim J.

Scott Shepherd
09-28-2009, 8:27 PM
I am very suspicious at the moment.

There's a reason for that. Your instinct is telling you it's not the right deal for you at this time. Listen to it.

Dave Johnson29
09-28-2009, 9:06 PM
and visually check out the machine.

James, I hope that includes running it and take something to cut on it. Including a Corel file on a thumb drive.

Bear in mind a replacement Synrad is about $6.5K.

Frank Corker
09-28-2009, 9:07 PM
On initially on the lookout for my laser, I encountered a very similar thing, it was a second chance offer but the guy insisted that we did an Escrow. By the time he had forwarded me all the details, I had already made all my personal checks through the police system and found it was scammer, the address the name were all false. Only thing real was the bank account, containing 1 pence. Had I fallen for it, the money would have been in to the 'Escrow' and account cleared before I knew what hit me. I'd make certain you talk to this guy on the phone and at least iron out on the phone any issues you have with it before traipsing all the way across the US.

John Barton
09-29-2009, 12:29 AM
This was a eBay item that I was second bidder on. I made a bid of 6500.00 this morning, and was instantly out bid. I just got home to a second chance offer with a note that if I did not respond that it would go to the next lowest bidder. It is a 6-hour drive to pick it up. The original offer post on ebay did not include pictures. I have just sent a email looking for a serial # pictures and the sellers phone number.
That is the whole story so far; other that rabbit lasers just made me a super amazing offer on a 60 watt with all the bells and whistles. I would much rather have the universal, but I am afraid of getting burned.

I think that you should go look at it IF you get the pics, details, and SN. Personally I am not very keen on bidding on big ticket items on Ebay, especially without a detailed history of the item and pics.

Ask him why the high bidder backed out.

I would jump on this if it were the size of machine that I need. 6500 is a good price but only if everything checks out.

I certainly wouldn't allow it to be a pressured decision though.

If he wants to sell it for less money to the next guy then let him.

If he wants to deal with you then he will show some patience.

Dan Hintz
09-29-2009, 8:10 AM
If you're not able to see it in action, make sure the machine contains the laser cartridge. Even if it's dead, paying $1,500 for a recharge is much better than $10k for a new cartridge (and even with the recharge the used machine would still probably be a decent deal).

James Jaragosky
09-29-2009, 11:54 AM
Our records show that you recently contacted or received messages from ##### through eBay's messaging system. This account was recently found to have been accessed by an unauthorized third party, who may have used the account in an attempt to defraud other members.
We've taken action to restore this account to the original owner, but wanted to let you know to be suspicious of any communication you may have received from them. Nothing is wrong with your account at this time ? this message is just being sent as a precaution. If you have received any messages from that appears suspicious, please feel free to forward them to us at spoof@ebay.com for review.

O well I was dreaming large for a while.

Bob Savage
09-29-2009, 11:57 AM
Far better to find out this way!

Darren Null
09-29-2009, 12:16 PM
Second chance, I said. Signs and portents, I said. DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOM!, I said.

At least you found out the easy way.

Good luck with your new Chinese laser.

Bob Lloyd
09-29-2009, 1:28 PM
I guess your gut feeling was telling you the right thing!!!!!! I recently had something supposedly listed under my name on Ebay. They contacted me to tell me about fraudulent use of my account, that it had been removed and to change access and e-mail log-in codes to protect my account.

Larry Bratton
09-29-2009, 8:32 PM
Well, the old adage holds true again "If it sounds too good to be true, it usually is"

Darren Null
09-29-2009, 9:55 PM
I recently had something supposedly listed under my name on Ebay. They contacted me to tell me about fraudulent use of my account, that it had been removed and to change access and e-mail log-in codes to protect my account.

You didn't click the link in the email did you? Because that's another phishing classic.

Dave Garcia
09-29-2009, 10:15 PM
James,

Not only no, but hell no!!!

And I'd think twice about that Chinese laser as well. Spent some time in China recently. Really do not like their quality control. Has nothing to do with buying American etc. It's just a fact of life as to why they are able to sell their products so cheaply as they do on the American market.

So much for the global market place. China is currently where Japan use to be back in the late 50's with regards to tools etc. Now look. The most popular car in American is some sort of Toyota. GM and Chrysler are government owned and Ford is just holding on by a thread. You be the judge. And forget politics. It's your money.

But for my money ....... on this offer??? Again, not only NO but.........

Good luck.

Dave Garcia :eek::)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Dave Russell Smith
09-29-2009, 10:20 PM
My thought is where is the Machine ?? If its local to one of us, can we not go and check it out for you :rolleyes:

James Jaragosky
09-29-2009, 10:27 PM
You didn't click the link in the email did you? Because that's another phishing classic.
Nope, just sent a email asking questions I did include my business ph#.
The scammer was using a stolen eBay account, so I doubt that I picked up anything. It was an legitimately generated eBay email second chance offer. so they were working the system from a stolen account. It’s the fake second chance offers that are nasty.
I do not understand why someone with obvious superior computer skills wastes their time for so little reward, and the risk is prison. if you are going to be a criminal steal, LARGE, VERY LARGE, THE LARGER THE BETTER generally if you can steal millions without a gun you will do less time than someone that steals a few hundred with one even though the first guy ruined hundreds of lives and the second guy ruined only one.

Darren Null
09-29-2009, 10:34 PM
...and if you steal billions, that's government.

Dave Garcia
09-30-2009, 7:58 AM
James,

I think our government calls it "taxes".

.............. and the world goes round!!!

Dave Garcia :eek::)
The Wood Block, Ltd

Hawaiian rule: To be rich, make more or desire less!