PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Cabinet System recommendations?

Brian Austin
09-19-2004, 10:13 AM
The new shop isn't quite finished yet but I need to start looking at cabinet systems. Most of the shop is on mobile bases but one wall, between two doors, will have lower cabinets with some small upper storage areas. Total wall run is about 10 feet, with a window in the center.

Primary purpose of the cabinets is storage with a worksurface. No vise as I have a dedicated workbench.

I've looked at several of the magazine ideas, including Wood Magazine's Idea Shops. I kind of like the idea of the built-in router table that folds away but I'm not sure about performance. Space is at a premium (shop is 14x24). I'm definitely using the modular cabinets idea with the installed French cleat system all around the shop. That will be handy.

Has anyone used any of these published cabinet styles, with all the special systems they've designed? If you could do it again, would you? Is it worth the effort or should I just go with a traditional set of cabinets?

Thanks for any input!

Jim Becker
09-19-2004, 10:34 AM
Brian, I think the cleat system in the WOOD Magazine Idea Shop #5 is the cat's meow...and if I actually had wall space, I'd love to use it in my shop. I do know that if you have any questions about it, Jeff (said lucky shop owner and employee of WOOD) is pretty good at addressing questions posted about the shop and system.

One other idea for your lower cabinets is something along the lines of Norm's "new" miter station setup; not necessarily to duplicate it exactly, but there are some great ideas for storage and versatily. Someone else here recently built it for their shop, but I don't recall exactly who. Although I'm very happy with my cantilevered miter station, there are some times that I wish for the storage for tools and other things in lieu of the lumber storage I have under it presently.

Joe Mioux
09-19-2004, 10:45 AM
Hi Brian:

Jim alluded to Norm's miter cabinets which I think is good. I purchased Norms' garage plans with the flip up router stand and the hutch plans. I just installed the flip top this morning, but I don't have the leg braces on. I think the flip top will work about as well as a router positioned in a table saw extension table. Hopefully, today I will have the majority of the garage workshop bench completed, when I do I will post pics. I have to say that I really like the garage plans. Even the project not complete, I am already using the bench and wall cabinets and I really like it

Joe

Joe Scarfo
09-19-2004, 11:04 PM
I build cabinets and used cleats to hang them on the wall. Absolutely the best thing i could've done. With the strong european hinges, the doors are strong enough to be used for storage as well.

I took the time to make raised panel doors. For one cabinet run, I used "super strips" from the big orange house. At $1.39 each, the doors cost me less than $10 each to make and hang. I love the way the pine has patina'd over time. The 2nd set of cabinets I decided to experiement and milled down 2 x 4's to make the raised panel doors. The knot patterns are much tighter and they're developing a different patina color to them.

I've also built a large cabinet box that's 7' tall x 3' deep and 4' wide. If you remember the hanging tool box Norm made, I plan to make those kinds of doors for it. They'll be about 5" deep so I'll have storage on them as well...

I have pics of the hanging cabinets, I'll try to post them for you to see. I'm a neophite at this posting pics so we'll see how it goes. For S&G's, I'll also brag about my McGyver'd tv/stereo cabinet. It's not unusual to have a few guys over from the hood to cheer Norm on....

Good luck with your shop...

Tks
Joe in Tampa

Jim Becker
09-20-2004, 8:17 AM
Joe, those pine cabinets look awesome. I really like the idea of doing "real, good" cabinets in the shop....it's an opportunity to improve skills and every time you look at them it can be inspiring for the next project. Nice job!

Joe Scarfo
09-20-2004, 12:50 PM
Jim,

Thanks for the kind words.. Experience is why they were made. I had recently completed the Woodcraft cabinet making class. I had all the tools and a desire to learn.

They've also lead to other work for hire. The neighbors see the work and are astounded the doors are 1 x 4's or 2 x 4's.

Enjoy the rest of the day.

Joe in Tampa