PDA

View Full Version : Oriental Style Box Called Shogun

Ken Vonk
09-28-2009, 5:47 PM
I finally finished my second attempt at an oriental style box. It is made from (bottom up) Ash, Buckeye, Ash and Ebony. The base is approximately 6" in diameter and the whole thing is about 6 inches tall. It is finished with wipe on poly and spray can lacquer. Your comments, critiques and suggestions are welcome. I called this piece "Shogun". Do you name any of your work?

Thanks, Ken

Dan Forman
09-28-2009, 6:11 PM
I finally finished my second attempt at an oriental style box. It is made from (bottom up) Ash, Buckeye, Ash and Ebony. The base is approximately 6" in diameter and the whole thing is about 6 inches tall. It is finished with wipe on poly and spray can lacquer. Your comments, critiques and suggestions are welcome. I called this piece "Shogun". Do you name any of your work?

Thanks, Ken

I really like this, haven't seen anything like it before. Are the "wings" glued on, or integral to the base? I'm a big fan of Asian design, hadn't thought much about how it could be incorporated into turnings.

Dan

Bernie Weishapl
09-28-2009, 6:24 PM
That is a beauty. I really like the design. Well done.

Ken Vonk
09-28-2009, 6:38 PM
The base is all one piece of Ash. I basically turned two bowls, on upside down and on top of the other out of one continuous piece. I then used the bandsaw to cut the shape of the wings and of the legs.

Ken

George Morris
09-28-2009, 8:04 PM
Very Nice! I really like the style. Great form! G

Horst Hohoff
09-29-2009, 1:10 AM
Ken,

Beuatiful work! Choice of woods and shape, all excellent. Although I have the
feeling that finial could be a little more refined, specially the foot. But this is
criticism on a very high level and I admit, I can't provide any ideas of how to
do better.
And I too sometimes name my work, if an appropriate name comes to my mind.

Horst

Jeff Nicol
09-29-2009, 5:39 AM
I have always liked the way a little stand is used to hold a vessel and let the bottom show that will not stand alone. I agree with what has been said already, the wood choices are great and the shapes of the base, body and finial work well together!

Great job,

Jeff

Eugene Wigley
09-29-2009, 8:17 AM
Verry nice. I like the wood and the form.

John Timberlake
09-29-2009, 8:27 AM
That is way cool. Really interesting design with a good combination of woods. And very well executed. Great job!

Steve Schlumpf
09-29-2009, 9:53 AM
Interesting piece Ken! Nice design and use of contrasting woods.

Seems the only time I name any turnings is when they are going to an art show. Have to admit that giving pieces creative names is not one of my strong points. Most of the time I just call it a Hollow Form. When I really put on my thinking cap - I come up with Maple Hollow Form! If is going to an Art Show - then I call it Dark Maple Hollow Form! Yup - I'm just full of imagination when it comes to names!

Ken Vonk
09-29-2009, 1:35 PM
Thanks for all the kind words. I forgot to mention that the box is about 1/8" thick and the legs / wings are about 1/16 to 3 32" thick.

Ken

Mike Marmon
09-29-2009, 7:27 PM
I have only named pieces that get screwed up, they usually get named "dammit" :mad:. Yours is a beautiful piece and the name is very fitting.

Mike

alex carey
09-29-2009, 7:56 PM
very cool, I really like the buckeye.