PDA

View Full Version : Octagonal Staircase

Brett Nelson
09-28-2009, 5:44 PM
Need to build a stacked octagonal staircase in the center of the house. One end leading up the the 2nd story and the other down to the basement. Wasn't supposed to be difficult at all, but then I was told that it should be open skirt on the main floor.

My first thought is to build it like I would build an open circular staircase, with welded sheet metal making up the stringers. But I have to wonder if this is the easiest way to do it. Or is there a framing trick that I just don't know.

Anyway, from the main floor it goes up 6 risers to a landing, turns 45* and then up 6 more risers, turns 45* again and up 5 more risers. I realize that I could locate posts to support the inside corners of the landings and leave the rest of the skirt open with railing. But the HO doesn't want that. Any thoughts?

Richard Wolf
09-29-2009, 9:03 PM
When you say welded sheet metal, I'll assume you mean welded steel frame. I would go that direction. The problem with framing it is, you never know if you have made it strong enough until you are almost finished, and then what? Redesign time.
Good luck with it.

Richard

Brett Nelson
09-30-2009, 1:25 PM
When you say welded sheet metal, I'll assume you mean welded steel frame. I would go that direction. The problem with framing it is, you never know if you have made it strong enough until you are almost finished, and then what? Redesign time.
Good luck with it.

Richard

Yeah I meant welded steel frame. I figured I would probably be able to get a response out of the stair guru on this forum. Thanks.

Do you have any suggestions on things to do or not to do?

Richard Wolf
09-30-2009, 8:12 PM
I don't have a whole lot of experience using steel frames, 3 to be exact. I have always had steel stringers cut for me and then bolted my wood stringers to them. You can really get some free standing effects with the steel. It makes the stairs almost look like they are floating. Hope you post some pictures when you are done.

Richard

Brett Nelson
10-01-2009, 11:50 AM
I don't have a whole lot of experience using steel frames, 3 to be exact. I have always had steel stringers cut for me and then bolted my wood stringers to them. You can really get some free standing effects with the steel. It makes the stairs almost look like they are floating. Hope you post some pictures when you are done.

Richard

Yeah. I'm on the fence right now about whether I should talk them into closed stringer. That would allow me to simply get the steel stringer cut and welded to the proper angles, but I wouldn't have to worry about precise thread/riser cuts as much. Then lag my cut wood stringer to the closed steel plate.

House is craftsman style. Trying to figure out which will look better.