PDA

View Full Version : Plastic Laminate cutting question

Dick Sylvan
09-28-2009, 3:54 PM
I am making a router table out of MDF and plastic laminate which has been glued up with contact adhesive. Before I install edging strips, I want to trim the tabletop very slightly. If I do this on my TS will the laminate chip? Thanks.

Lee Schierer
09-28-2009, 4:54 PM
It might, but you can minimize the damage if any with a good sharp blade made for cutting laminates. Also put a strip of masking tape over the cut line and peel it off after the cut by pulling teh remnants toward the cut..

Vince Shriver
09-28-2009, 6:43 PM
[QUOTE=Dick Sylvan;1223811]I am making a router table out of MDF and plastic laminate which has been glued up with contact adhesive. Before I install edging strips, I want to trim the tabletop very slightly. If I do this on my TS will the laminate chip? Thanks.[/QUOT

Jointer one edge. Opposite edge t/s with a good carbide blade & jointed edge against the fence. Used to do it all the time in the shop.

Kyle Iwamoto
09-28-2009, 7:11 PM
Laminate trim router bit? Fast and easy. Won't chip.

johnny means
09-28-2009, 7:12 PM
Unless, you have a very bad blade or poor fence alignment the laminate shouldn't chip as long as it is on top. Cut slowly and watch the trailing edge.

Another option is to cut through your substrate just short of the laminate then flush trim the laminate with a router. (FYI this can also be used to trim back a chipped edge on a laminate top. Just reapply the edge before flush trimming.)

Jointing laminate will leave a real nasty nick in your jointer knives.

Tony Bilello
09-28-2009, 8:55 PM
I am making a router table out of MDF and plastic laminate which has been glued up with contact adhesive. Before I install edging strips, I want to trim the tabletop very slightly. If I do this on my TS will the laminate chip? Thanks.

The laminate might chip, but it shouldn't. I cut plastic laminate all of the time with a general purpose Freud saw blade. The size I am surfacing will determine how much overhang I should add. I usually cut laminate no more than 1/8" to 1/4" total larger than the top to be covered. Anyway, back to your question........I want to trim the tabletop very slightly. If I do this on my TS will the laminate chip? Again, no it shouldnt especially since everything is glued down.
One question for you????????? Why are you adding the edge strips after the top/bottom? Normally the bottom goes on first if you have a bottom piece. Normally I use a backer sheet. Then goes the edge strips because if anything runs down the side, it wont find its way into the seam line because the sides overlap the bottom. And, finally the top goes on last so that the top overhangs the edge pieces. This is not only for leaks and spills but also prevents things from snagging.

Dick Sylvan
09-29-2009, 12:24 PM
One question for you????????? Why are you adding the edge strips after the top/bottom?

The edge pieces are wide strips (1-1/2" and 3") of maple which are attached with glue and biscuits and are the same thickness as the MDF and laminate sandwich. My plan was to atach the front and back edges first and then trim the overhang with a crosscut which would trim a very slight amount of the MDF/laminate so the sides would be perfectly straight to accept the edging. The plan for this came from a Woodworkers' Journal article earlier this year.

Tony Bilello
09-29-2009, 4:57 PM
Now I understand. I didn't realize that you were edging with wood. I made the incorrect assumption that you were also edging with plastic laminate.
Now it makes sense.