PDA

View Full Version : Getting the 450 lb G0690 from truck gate to garage

scott vroom
09-28-2009, 2:22 PM
I'm going to order the G0691 TS and am looking for ideas on how to get the 450lb cabinet from truck to garage. Any suggestions? I can muster a couple of friends to slide it if that's possible....it's 30' from street to shop, all paved in concrete, and the box sits on a pallet. Also, how do I lift it onto a mobile base?

Thanks-

Chris Harry
09-28-2009, 2:34 PM
May seem a little Darwin-ish but Id consider a tow strap and a pickup truck to pull it most of the way. Then have your friends slide it the rest.

Or there is always a pallet truck.

Cliff Holmes
09-28-2009, 2:43 PM
I picked up an inexpensive pallet jack for $75 off craigslist, I use it far more than I imagined I would. I'm also glad I've got my dad's old engine hoist around, you should be able to grab one of those pretty cheaply, too. I used cargo straps running under the edges of the top to pick up the saw very easily.

Rod Sheridan
09-28-2009, 2:44 PM
Scott, either a pallet truck or a hand cart will do just fine.

When you set it down off the hand cart, set it most of the way into the mobile base.

Then just wiggle/slide it the remaining way into the mobile base.

Regards, Rod.

Enjoy your saw........:D

Ken Higginbotham
09-28-2009, 2:46 PM
You may be able to rent a pallet jack and / or engine hoist - ?

Michael Roland
09-28-2009, 2:47 PM
I moved by table saw using an appliance hand truck. Is was one of the fancy ones that had a second set of wheels so that the unit was supported on four wheels when pulled back to a 45 degree angel. Using this type hand truck you are not supporting any of the weight of the unit it is distributed across the wheels.

Dick Strauss
09-28-2009, 3:08 PM
furniture dollies

Ed Hazel
09-28-2009, 3:15 PM
I get the lift gate service, I just had a G9983 delivered 800# the delivery guy rolled it on a pallet jack with my help right in my garage. Of course I needed it in my shop which is 100ft behind my garage, I wiggled the machine on a sheet of 3/4 ply and towed it right in to my shop. I still need to weld up a mobile stand for it. I am thinking I may need to rent an engine hoist to get it on the stand.
On my g1023 I had a couple of friends over and we wrestled on the mobile base.

Erik Christensen
09-28-2009, 3:15 PM
I have not had a Grizzly table saw delivered to my house but I have had a 19" bandsaw, a 8" jointer & 15" planer. In every case it was a lift gate delivery and here in San Diego they use Fedex freight. In all 3 cases the driver put the pallet in my shop exactly where I asked for it to placed.

I agree that an engine hoist would have made the job of getting tools on the mobile base a one person task; but I have been able to get all my big equipment off pallets & on their bases with a few 2x6's, some blocks & a neighbor to help me lift one side then another. I was careful to plan the lift, wear steel toe boots & go slow but it was not that big a deal even with tools in the 5-600# range.

good luck

Josh Reet
09-28-2009, 3:17 PM
Just get some friends and carry it until you can roll. We moved one of these for my stepdad and the thing weighed 500lbs. Plus, we had to go down a set of steps from the alley to the patio:

http://www.brothersroot.com/blog/?p=876

Philip Rodriquez
09-28-2009, 3:40 PM
Yep, just tell griz that you need liftgate service. The driver will just wheel it in to your shop.

Andrew Schlosser
09-28-2009, 3:40 PM
When I bought my grizzly cabinet saw, I took it home in my compact SUV (Ford Escape). I didn't have to tie it down or anything, as the top of the table was within 1" of the inside roof!

I slide it down some 2"x ramped from the bumper to the ground to get it out of the car. To get it on the mobile base, I rocked the saw back and forth, each time inserting a small block of wood under the side of the saw that was in the air. Eventually, I was up 4" in the air, enough to slide the mobile base underneath. I reversed the procedure to get it onto the base.

I worked similarly to the way this guy rebuilt Stonehenge in his backyard:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lRRDzFROMx0

Jeff Willard
09-28-2009, 3:54 PM
Roll it on a few lengths of PVC.

glenn bradley
09-28-2009, 4:18 PM
I paid $25 for liftgate service. The driver backed into my driveway, moved the nearly 600lbs onto the lift gate, lowered it part way and backed it right into my garage. No easy trick with my driveway I tell ya.

Scott Hildenbrand
09-28-2009, 4:35 PM
I used one of these to move the body of my R4511 around and to move it down stairs into the basement. Which was a chore since I only had 10" of clearance between steps going in opposite directions.. Don't ask.. Wonkey house addition.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=55430-929-30019S&lpage=none

In fact, best darn thing I ever bought.. Used it countless times for moving all kind of things, including a LARGE wooden play set for a neighbor.

Dan Friedrichs
09-28-2009, 4:48 PM
It's not as hard as you may think. I sold a 550# jointer to a guy who wanted to put it in the back of his van. We put some ramps up to the back, and the two of us (scrawny guys) just shimmied it up the ramps. Downhill would have been even easier :)

Lee Schierer
09-28-2009, 4:51 PM
Back up quick and spike the brakes, it will come right off....:D

Or use a few lengths of pipe under the pallet like rollers.

Stan Mitchell
09-28-2009, 5:05 PM
450lbs sounds daunting - but it's not so bad really (although you wouldn't want to drop it on your toes).

I used a cheap $20 furniture dolly on the same saw. Worked fine.

BTW: The rails and accessories come in separate boxes.

Paul Ryan
09-28-2009, 5:06 PM
If you have a pick-up back up to the back of the freight truck and put the saw into the back of your truck. Then back into your garage and with the help of your buddies slide the saw on it's back down onto the mobile base. Works slick I have unloaded a couple of saws that way. Loading them into a pick-up is a little tougher.

If you don't have a pick-up I would rent a funiture dolly, or just shimmy the crate, sliding it with some buddies. It will move with some grunting, 450# is not that heavy.

Rick Moyer
09-28-2009, 6:46 PM
Two guys and a hand truck will do it. (Just took mine off the trailer last nite.)
As far as the base; I don't know yet, just ordered it minutes ago!

Jim Rimmer
09-28-2009, 8:31 PM
If you have a pick-up back up to the back of the freight truck and put the saw into the back of your truck. Then back into your garage and with the help of your buddies slide the saw on it's back down onto the mobile base. .

This is exactly how I got my G0661 out of the truck and into my garage/shop. I don't know about your model but mine required "some assembly" and was shipped upside down. I completed tha assembly and then talked three young turks from work to come over and turn it right side up on the mobile base.

Stan Mitchell
09-28-2009, 8:55 PM
was shipped upside downWhat? Haven't heard that one before. Oh well, as long as you got it flipped over.

I assembled mine by myself. Glad I didn't have to get it right side up too.

Chris Ricker
09-28-2009, 9:03 PM
When I had my tools delivered, I paid ofr the lift gate service and the "Overnite Guy" was great, we wheeled them right into the garage with his lift truck.
Don't forget that these guys are only responsible for getting it on the ground, not into the garage. I tipped my guy well for he had no reason to help other than he was a good guy.
Seems to me that problems in shipping generally occur at the transfer stations and not necessarily in transit.

Don't gamble on the fact that the driver will help you to the shop but don't be surprised either.

Looking forward to the review of the new TS.

Brian Ashton
09-28-2009, 9:04 PM
I have an engine hoist (see attached) that will lift up to 4000 lb depending on how far the boom is pulled out. I've used it to lift my oneway 2436, previously owned: oliver 12" table saw, 8" jointer, and Powermatic model 90 (with an extra 200lbs added) in and out of trucks, vans and houses numerous times. Wouldn't have anything else. The extendable boom gives a lot of options especially when having to put the machine in a van. I use 4 heavy duty tie down straps with the ratcheting buckle to adapt to any machine. That way I can balance a load by tightening up one or more straps so things don't go astray.

Jim Rimmer
09-28-2009, 10:28 PM
What? Haven't heard that one before. Oh well, as long as you got it flipped over.

I assembled mine by myself. Glad I didn't have to get it right side up too.
Yep; driver slid it off the pallet and when I opened it it was table down. I assume that's the way Grizzly shipped it.

Jason White
09-29-2009, 5:24 AM
Engine hoist from Harbor Freight. Or rent one.

Jason

I'm going to order the G0691 TS and am looking for ideas on how to get the 450lb cabinet from truck to garage. Any suggestions? I can muster a couple of friends to slide it if that's possible....it's 30' from street to shop, all paved in concrete, and the box sits on a pallet. Also, how do I lift it onto a mobile base?

Thanks-

Rick Moyer
09-29-2009, 5:32 AM
Yep; driver slid it off the pallet and when I opened it it was table down. I assume that's the way Grizzly shipped it.

Never saw that either. My 0691, as well as any other thing I got from Grizzly, was right side up.
btw, I pick up my stuff at Grizzly and have never had any damaged crating/packaging. I suspect the delivery services are to blame in most cases for damage. (albeit, sometimes the crating/packaging could be sturdier).

Don Bullock
09-29-2009, 9:36 AM
Yep, just tell griz that you need liftgate service. The driver will just wheel it in to your shop.

I agree. It was well worth the extra $$.

phil harold
09-29-2009, 11:32 AM
+1 on the block idea
I have done this for years before I saw the video

Work smarter not harder!

I slide it down some 2"x ramped from the bumper to the ground to get it out of the car. To get it on the mobile base, I rocked the saw back and forth, each time inserting a small block of wood under the side of the saw that was in the air. Eventually, I was up 4" in the air, enough to slide the mobile base underneath. I reversed the procedure to get it onto the base.

I worked similarly to the way this guy rebuilt Stonehenge in his backyard:

Bob Genovesi
09-29-2009, 11:46 AM
I couple of 2X8X10 and support them in the middle. Use a hand truck or just slid it slowly down the ramp until it's on the floor.

Jim Rimmer
09-29-2009, 2:07 PM
Never saw that either. My 0691, as well as any other thing I got from Grizzly, was right side up.
btw, I pick up my stuff at Grizzly and have never had any damaged crating/packaging. I suspect the delivery services are to blame in most cases for damage. (albeit, sometimes the crating/packaging could be sturdier).
I don't remeber if the box was upside down or not. It made the assembly easier so I assumed it was supposed to be that way. Maybe because the g0661 is a contractor saw and has to have the legs assemble to it? :confused:

Bob Peticolas
09-29-2009, 5:28 PM
This is something that seems harder than it is. If the machine will fit on a liftgate, ask for a liftgate truck. Lots of times this is free, and if it's not it's a small upcharge. They have to have a pallet jack to get it on the liftgate so they are generally pretty agreeable to dropping it exactly where you want it.

Once you have it where you want it, you need to get it off the pallet. Add supports under the legs, and cut away the pallet with a sawzall. Then you have a table saw on blocks. Simply lever one leg at a time off the blocks with a 2x6, and you're home free. Be careful, but it's really not a bad project.

David Winer
09-29-2009, 5:34 PM
...Also, how do I lift it onto a mobile base?

Thanks-
I put my heavy old Powermatic planer on a mobile base recently. You need at least two people.

Tilt the machine onto one long side, then stack some boards under the raised edge. Now tilt the machine onto the boards and stack some more boards under that newly raised edge.

When the machine is on boards high enough to slip the base under, tip it on one edge, remove the boards opposite, roll the base under as far as you can. Make sure the wheels won't roll, then tip/slide/wiggle the machine onto the base.

This turned out surprisingly easy to do in my case.

Malcolm Wheeler
09-30-2009, 10:26 PM
Get some strong pals to help you and then you help them by using these. I have these and can attest to the amazing way they help!!! Straight back, no bending at the waist, your doctor would be proud of ya... Lee Valley item 88F02.03

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/assorted/88f0203s2.jpg

http://www.leevalley.com/images/item/woodworking/assorted/88f0203-dsp2.jpg