PDA

View Full Version : "Enough" - Cultivating Contentment

Brian Kent
09-28-2009, 11:04 AM
I have been doing a book study for a few weeks on a short little book called "Enough - Discovering Joy Through Simplicity and Generosity". I find it very helpful in this woodworking hobby.

We joke a lot on the Creek about "tool lust", because there is that persistent feeling that I will become an excellent woodworker (and be fulfilled and happy, yada, yada) when I buy the next tool made by LV, LN, Bosch, Laguna….

I don't intend to stop buying tools or drooling over catalogues, but it really feels better when I remember to be grateful for the all the tools I have and what I can already build with them.

On the generosity side, I have used a lot of examples from the Creek where people have just been incredibly generous with their time and knowledge, talking us beginners and amateurs through the details of some tiny aspect of a a joint or a finish or a design idea. It feels good to pass on anything I know so far, too.

So I am recommending this book, with the warning that it is a faith-based book. I am not trying to sneak that in, but to let you know that there is some really good stuff there from any perspective.

I have really enjoyed the voices on the Creek that show us how to do excellent work with Neander tools, Re-habbed tools Home-made jigs, adapted uses of tools, and other ways of getting things done without buying out the catalogue before we start.

Brian

Darrell Bottoms
09-30-2009, 9:50 AM
Brian,

I'll have to look that book up....who's the author? I've been writing about similar and would love to see a different perspective.

Brian Kent
10-01-2009, 12:24 AM
Adam Hamilton.

It's been pretty funny watching the views reach 170 with yours being the first replies. Maybe mentioning that it is faith-based puts me in the category of a guy with a thin tie and a big Bible ringing the doorbell.:rolleyes:

The book actually came from a stewardship drive at a local church in a bad economy, when they realized that it was a time for the church to help everyone with their finances, and not just ask the people to help the church.

Brian

Steve Rozmiarek
10-01-2009, 1:09 AM
Brian, I don't think the lack of posts are because of the faith based book. You wrote a good review, which was very informative, and I'm guessing that you have caused others to pick it up and give it a go. There is not really any good response unless the next guy has read it too, and wants to voice his opinion. Probably not me, have not had the time to read an actual book in years, but I would if I had the time.

It's easy to loose sight of how good we have it at times, thanks for making me take a moment to appreciate that.

Brian Kent
10-01-2009, 2:21 AM
Thanks, Steve.

Darrell Bottoms
10-01-2009, 2:32 AM
the topic Brian....simplicity, is very appropriate for the times we are living in. So many are used to living without much regard of consequence...and now, we are seeing the outcome and many will do well to understand that sometimes we actually don't need that "nicer" whatever, that what we have, we can most often make do with...or maybe an opportunity to become a bit innovative/inventive in our living. Just because we may not necessarily have what we want, we most often will find that we have what we need.

Am glad you posted this topic.

Brian Kent
10-01-2009, 2:59 AM
I really appreciate the practice of rehabbing old handsaws, planes, chisels and ending up with a classic that works excellently. I know others do the same with old power iron.

Now that I have a lot of basic woodworking tools, I want to heed the regular advice given here to center in on the next project and the tools and materials needed to accomplish it. Then remember there are many ways to do the same thing.

The Taunton / Fine Woodworking book on Joinery is a great example of starting with a joint and then showing 3-5 ways to accomplish the same thing. At least one way is usually with a tool I already have.

Brian

Sam Layton
10-01-2009, 3:08 AM
Brian, faith-based is a good thing.

God Bless, Sam