PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly G0632

Derrell W Sloan
09-27-2009, 10:04 PM
I'm looking for feedback on the G0632 lathe. Does any one have or had a chance to use this lathe? I might get a chance to check out a used one that is about a year old that looks brand new. Any idea what a reasonable price for such a beast would be? From appearances it looks almost the same as one of the nice Jet EVS lathes.

David Christopher
09-27-2009, 10:29 PM
Derrel, I have a G0632...it is exactly like a jet 1642...Ive had mine almost a year and would buy it again...only thing is if you ever want to sell it, it probley wont bring much...most people has a bad taste with the older grizzly lathes but this will last a life time

Derrell W Sloan
09-29-2009, 12:25 PM
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the info. I have heard less than positive things about some of the Grizzly lathes but I thought this one might be a real winner.

Cliff Holmes
09-29-2009, 3:29 PM
David, do you do any outboard turning with the G0632? I find the pivoting head intriguing but I'm worried about stability.

Mark Levitski
09-29-2009, 8:31 PM
I have had the G0632 for a couple years now (got one of the first few made) and have turned hundreds of bowls and such on it. Very good lathe. I've had no problems with it. However, this comes from someone who has never turned on anything else, so...........

Ratcheting banjo toolrest locks aren't too great, and I did add some ballast for stability (few tubes of sand). The tool rest post size must be mm, 'cause the 1 inch Delta French curve rest was too big to fit, but the McNaughton coring gate post fits just fine. The Griz comes with a 12" rest that is just average--needs to be filed smooth every so often.

I'd recommend this one to anybody. I do plan on an upgrade soon to accomodate larger pieces and with more hp for my coring.

Also have other green in the shop with no regrets: 8" jointer, 14" bandsaw, combo belt/disc sander, buffing machine, and drill press.

David Christopher
09-29-2009, 9:22 PM
David, do you do any outboard turning with the G0632? I find the pivoting head intriguing but I'm worried about stability.

Cliff, I have done some outboard turning but I just slid the headstock to the end insted of swiveling.......mine must newer that marks cause the banjo works just like the jet and holds just fine and the tool bar is 1".... I see no need for me to upgrade ....I have turned a 20" bowl once but dont see the need for anymore...6 to 14 is more real

Alan Tolchinsky
09-29-2009, 10:10 PM
The Jet 1642 1.5 hp. can be bought for $300 more on Amazon and sometimes goes on sale. I think that would be worth it even for future resale.

Mike Ray
10-22-2009, 7:48 AM
I heard after the 1st of November 2009 that the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 that is now 1799 at WoodCraft will be on sale 15% off. Brings it to 1530 before tax. Grizzly G0632 is 1425 plus 95 shipping. That is 1520.

So a 10 dollar spread plus tax (8 percent for me) or 132.40 gets me 4 more years of warranty.

That is a no brainer there in my book.

I have read a lot on these units, based on this sale the Jet 1642 EVS is the best deal (After November 1st)

BUT !!!!

Hard to do apples to apples though. On the two above units the Jet is 115v 1phase and the Griz is 220v 1phase.

With all the phantom motor HP ratings today, I wonder if true apples to apples for the Griz G0632 is the Jet 1642 EVS 2 Unit. Both of these are 220v 1phase units. Based on that type of comparison - yes I've done this also...

Grizzly G0632 - 220v 1phase - 1425.00 + 95.00 Freight = 1520.00 with a 1 year warranty.

Jet 1642 EVS 2 - 220v 1phase - 1785.00 + 8% tax (142.80) + No Freight Store Pick Up = 1927.80 with 5 year warranty.

This is a 407.08 spread on these two units and that spread I am having trouble justifying.

One way to tell , I think, If if folks can tell me how big around is their motor case in inches on the g0632 and the Jet 1642 (Both EVS and EVS2).

I saw the PowerMatic 20 inch 2hp motor next to the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 and the case is surely larger around on the PowerMatic (Wish it was in the budget)

One final consideration is the Jet Warranty - If you use your unit commercial (What is that if your selling what you make out of your shop?) . In that case the Jet only has a 1 year warranty and the Grizzly G0632 is the best deal all the way around..

Man this is driving me crazy. I keep changing my mind even as I write this thread.

Those motor sizes would help a lot.

Thanks,

Mike

Dick Sowa
10-22-2009, 11:38 AM
If you NEVER plan to sell your lathe (either because you are upgrading, or just get tired of turning), then the resale value is not important. But if you might consider a whopper lathe down the road, you will likely get your entire investment back, or most of it, with the Jet, but am not sure about the Grizzly. In the past few years, prices have shot through the roof. Also, the Jet is one of the most popular lathes out there...and for a lot of good reasons. Another plus, is that WMH is the parent company of both Jet and Powermatic. I have heard glowing reports from everyone that had to deal with service issues.

Jon Lanier
10-22-2009, 11:12 PM
Buy it in Delaware and there is no sales tax. :p

I heard after the 1st of November 2009 that the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 that is now 1799 at WoodCraft will be on sale 15% off. Brings it to 1530 before tax. Grizzly G0632 is 1425 plus 95 shipping. That is 1520.

So a 10 dollar spread plus tax (8 percent for me) or 132.40 gets me 4 more years of warranty.

That is a no brainer there in my book.

I have read a lot on these units, based on this sale the Jet 1642 EVS is the best deal (After November 1st)

BUT !!!!

Hard to do apples to apples though. On the two above units the Jet is 115v 1phase and the Griz is 220v 1phase.

With all the phantom motor HP ratings today, I wonder if true apples to apples for the Griz G0632 is the Jet 1642 EVS 2 Unit. Both of these are 220v 1phase units. Based on that type of comparison - yes I've done this also...

Grizzly G0632 - 220v 1phase - 1425.00 + 95.00 Freight = 1520.00 with a 1 year warranty.

Jet 1642 EVS 2 - 220v 1phase - 1785.00 + 8% tax (142.80) + No Freight Store Pick Up = 1927.80 with 5 year warranty.

This is a 407.08 spread on these two units and that spread I am having trouble justifying.

One way to tell , I think, If if folks can tell me how big around is their motor case in inches on the g0632 and the Jet 1642 (Both EVS and EVS2).

I saw the PowerMatic 20 inch 2hp motor next to the Jet 1642 EVS 1.5 and the case is surely larger around on the PowerMatic (Wish it was in the budget)

One final consideration is the Jet Warranty - If you use your unit commercial (What is that if your selling what you make out of your shop?) . In that case the Jet only has a 1 year warranty and the Grizzly G0632 is the best deal all the way around..

Man this is driving me crazy. I keep changing my mind even as I write this thread.

Those motor sizes would help a lot.

Thanks,

Mike

Frank Sornson
10-23-2009, 2:14 PM
One additional piece of information. The G0632 is on sale for $1250 plus $94 shipping, giving a total of $1344.

Mike Ray
10-23-2009, 7:37 PM
They must have done this yesterday or today. Cool - I guess they know everyone puts stuff on sale this time of year and that $175.00 puts the difference back at almost $600 bucks!! Thanks for the heads up!!

Mike Ray
11-02-2009, 7:54 AM
Well I got the Griz. Set it up and like it a lot. Made some chips after cleaning it up. I am going to do some bowls on it. I will do a review of the unit. I like it, but I see a few things that could have been better thought out.

More Details over here:

http:// familywoodworking org/forums/showpost.php?p=186618&postcount=9

Mark Levitski
11-02-2009, 9:08 PM
Mike, you'll like the stability a lot more if you put a couple 2 X's across the bottom and drape some sandbags over them for ballast. Also,you might find, like I did, that you do better to rely on the nut to tighten the headstock rather than the cammed quick release. For most of my work, I slide the headstock down more towards the toolrest end so I don't have to straddle the bed to turn bowls and hollow forms. Leave just enough room at the end of the bed for your piece and toolrest stuff. To repeat, my ratchet toolrest lock for the banjo was garbage--you might need to find a better replacement. Otherwise, enjoy your investment. It's a very good lathe. P. S.--I haven't read you review yet.

Montgomery Scott
11-03-2009, 11:49 AM
The lathe is more or less a copy of the Jet, but is produced in China to cut the cost. The Jet is made in Taiwan.

Mike Ray
11-08-2009, 1:53 AM
Well I wrote a short review and deleted it... I guess it's bed time :D

Here is some dogwood I did today. It was from a dead tree on my farm. It had some small cracks and after I turned it they were small , but a few hours later they started to open up.

How can I stop the cracks? Or do I let them run and use an epoxy type filler?

Mike Ray
11-08-2009, 7:55 PM
Ok Here are my thoughts on the G0632 after a week.

Well I like the G0632 very much. I think for the money (On sale right now) it was a great buy. I have only a few piddley things I don't like about it.

1. The tool rest seems to stick when you try to move it. I think the painted underside is causing this. You can also see in the picture how the bed is welded showing even better that the bed is not cast.

2. The handles for the Tail stock are on the back side of the unit. And the handle could be better attached. The center shaft has a plastic bushing by the handle for the drive screw. This should have been a sealed bearing or at least a brash bushing. I am sure I will correct that. :D

3. The head stock handle hits the VFD and is also a pain to deal with when the head is on one of it's pivot points. I will see more in the future as I mess with bowls to see how big of an issue this is.

4. The head practically hits the ways when the motor is on the high speed pullys. That screw in the picture sits on the ways when the head is turned. Once you lock the head down the screw does raise a bit and barley misses the ways.. I see some scratches in my future...:eek:

But over all again for the money it is worth it. I am going to add a shelf for balast and a side shelf for tools. This system will also be setup for metal spinning, but that is yet to come.