PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 12 in. jointer (G0609) Dust Collection

Steve Kohn
09-27-2009, 9:55 PM
I bought a G0609 jointer about a year ago. Since then I have used it mainly for edge jointing. However today I was face jointing about 30 b.f. of soft maple and found the machine was getting packed up chips. I had to remove the dust collection chute twice and clean it out. Once I had broken the chips loose my 2 hp dust collector had no problem in picking up the chips.

I am running about 25 feet of 5 inch metal pipe with about 8 feet of flex hose between the dust collector and the jointer.

Anyone else have this problem and if so what did you do about it?

Stephen Edwards
09-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Do you have a separator between your jointer and the DC unit? I was having a problem with my system when using the planer without a separator. The large volume of large shavings would clog up at the little metal cross piece in the DC unit just before going into the blades. That, in turn, caused the planer to clog. A separator cured that problem, leaving all of the large shavings in the barrel and allowing only fine dust through the DC unit itself.

Rick Fisher
09-27-2009, 11:38 PM
If the Jointer is clogged up at the cutterhead, usually caused by doing "quickie jobs" where you dont turn the DC on.. You wont get any airflow through the system, and the "chips wont fly"..

I have had personal experience with this.. I like to learn everything the hard way..

Thomas Pender
09-28-2009, 8:16 AM
Agree that jointers often get clogged because DC not on.

My own personal experience is that a 5" hose is insufficient for a 12" jointer - 6" would be a bare minimum with 7" more desirable - do not care what size hole they put on the chute - put a bigger one on. Finally, I think a 2 hp Oneida, Grizzly or equivalent cyclonic dust collector is the smallest that can work well with a 12" jointer - even bigger in some cases.

Rod Sheridan
09-28-2009, 8:21 AM
I have a Hammer A3-31 which has a 12" jointer. It sounds like you don't have enough airflow at the jointer.

Hammer specify 813 cubic metres per hour at a speed of 20 metres per second which works out to aproximately 478 CFM at 3,900 feet per minute.

What does your jointer manufacturer specify?

You stated that you have a 2 HP collector, which isn't the information you need to analyze the problem.

Look at your fan curve for the collector, and the duct resistance, and see if you can get 500 or 600 CFM at the end of your pipe/hose combination.

Alternatively try a larger pipe combination if you cannot obtain fan curves for your dust collector.

Regards, Rod.

P.S. I have a 1.5 HP Oneida cyclone with external filter, which works fine with my jointer/planer, however I have only about 10 feet of 6" pipe then 4 feet of 5" aluminum flex.

Phil Harding
09-28-2009, 9:06 AM
I have the 0609 connected to an Oneida 3 HP Super Gorilla. I have about a 25 foot run of 6" spiral pipe to a 6" gate. There's about a 6 foot run of 6" inch flexible tubing between the gate and jointer and then a 6" to 5" reducer at the jointer. I don't have any problems with chip collection.:)

-- Phil

Steve Kohn
09-28-2009, 12:57 PM
Thanks all, especially Phil. It looks like I am not moving enough air at the dust collection port. I was afraid that this was the problem.

That is a real bummer since everything is hard piped in. I will have to think about how to fix this.

Dan Forman
09-28-2009, 2:30 PM
A spiral or Shelix cutter head will break those chips into little pieces that shouldn't cause a problem. Might be a good excuse to install one.

Dan

Larry Wadman
09-28-2009, 2:36 PM
Yep, I have the same jointer and same problem with clogging. That was until I installed my 5hp Clearvue.

Erik Christensen
09-28-2009, 3:24 PM
I am running only an 8" jointer but I have 6" pipe to the tool with only about 2' of flex. I modified the stupid 4" wimpy connector at the tool so it is now a 6" connector to the chip chute and have never had a problem.

I did the same for my planer & drum sander - both came with 4" dust connectors that I hacked up so now it is 6" at the tool. That combined with the 5 HP clearvue cyclone and dust/chip collection works great until I overfill the trash can :p:p

J.R. Rutter
09-28-2009, 3:28 PM
Are all of the leaks sealed up in the base? Do everything you can to get more suction pressure. I have a 12" jointer with 5" port and 30' of 4" pipe that never clogs - but that is with a 15 HP collector . . . I used to have the 8" little brother to your jointer and I remember that there were some leaks that cut down on suction at the cutterhead.

David Werkheiser
09-28-2009, 7:41 PM
Soft maple is the only wood that clogs my 12" jointer, due to the nature of the wood; long curly shavings. I know I need to either go with a larger dust system or invest in a spiral knife head.Till than I take lighter cuts when facing boards.
DaveW

glenn bradley
09-28-2009, 7:54 PM
I have a dedicated bag-style DC for the jointer and planer. During heavy runs I would get some backup. As others mentioned, I cut the cross out of the blower housing and have had no trouble since. This thread made me think to go pull the hose and check to make sure I'm not fooling myself; all clear.

Rick Fisher
09-28-2009, 9:29 PM
Gotta say, all the careful ducting in the world doesnt do as much as a nasty big impellor moving at speed.. :)

I upgraded from a 2hp Shop Fox to a Felder RL-160, most of my dust issues went away..

Alan Schaffter
09-28-2009, 10:18 PM
Check the chute that runs from under the cutter head to the port on the front of the cabinet. My DJ-20 and many other jointers including some Grizzlies don't have a top on the chute. If that is true for your jointer, the DC is drawing a lot of air from the cabinet and not from the cutter head. It is even worse if your DC is not drawing well.

(I inserted my hand in through the port - it is sticking out from the top of the chute.)

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P2150083.JPG

I installed a piece of plywood to close off the top of the chute.

http://www.ncwoodworker.net/pp/data/500/medium/P2170003.JPG