PDA

View Full Version : Small Sycamore HF

Mark Burge
09-27-2009, 8:24 PM
This little guy came from an off-cut that I didn't throw out. It was a limb slice and amazingly it didn't split. So I got this nice little end grain HF out of it. It is finished with Tung oil and a spray poly. It has been so rainy down here that it took it almost a week to dry. I don't know how others do it, but the spray left a rather rough feel, so I sanded again with 400 and then buffed with a dry t-shirt. I was pretty happy with the result. It is about two inches high and about that in diameter. Thanks for looking. Comments and critiques welcome.

Oh, only one picture came out clear. Sorry I couldn't give other views.

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2009, 8:29 PM
Pretty cool looking hollow form! The photo is deceiving - it looks like it should be 6" high x 4 diameter! Just means that you did a good job on proportions! Nice looking color and grain pattern!

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2009, 8:34 PM
That is cool. I also thought before I read that it was maybe 6 or 7 high and 4 or 5 inches across. Picture is definitely deceiving.

ROY DICK
09-27-2009, 8:35 PM
Mark,
I agree with Steve it sure does look bigger.
Nicely done.

Roy

Mark Burge
09-27-2009, 9:10 PM
I was surprised by how big it looked too. I'm going to have to try a bigger blank soon. But these little guys have been good practice. Thanks again.

Richard Madison
09-27-2009, 10:12 PM
That's a cutie Mark. Almost a classic "bag of sand" shape. As mentioned, great proportions to create the illusion of a larger piece.

Jarrod McGehee
09-28-2009, 10:45 PM
that's nice looking but I still see sanding marks on there.

Leo Van Der Loo
09-28-2009, 10:50 PM
That little squat sitting HF sure looks good Mark, and very nice color for Sycamore also, well done.

Jeff Nicol
09-29-2009, 5:53 AM
Mark, I like the shape as well, I have been messing around with the same style but not that small. It looks very nice and the colors are very nice! Sometimes the small ones have big impact!

Jeff

Chris Rae
09-29-2009, 11:37 AM
Someone else already used the "cute" word, so I guess it's okay for me to say, that sure is a cute little form! I like everything about it!

Mark Burge
09-29-2009, 12:56 PM
I appreciate the support. Jarrod, I am looking at the original piece and I don't see any sanding marks, but I do see some tear out problems on the left side of it above the center "eye". There is also some small tear out on the bottom. I really need to work on my bottom finishing technique. I'd be ashamed for anyone on the Creek to turn my stuff over.

Thanks, again.