PDA

View Full Version : What to look for in a lathe?

Shawn Stennett
09-27-2009, 5:21 PM
My wife is interested in learning how to use a lathe, she is going to start by taking the begining lathe class at woodcraft but I would like to start looking for one on craigslist but do not know anything about them either. She found one today but before we go and look what do you look for in a used one?

Oh and she is interested to making small to medium (no bigger than 12'') bowls and maybe pens.

Meant to post in turning section sorry

Cary Falk
09-27-2009, 5:49 PM
I'm no expert turner but the first lathe I bought off of Craig's List was a mistake. It had a #1 Morse taper on the tailstock and odd thread on the headstock. This made it more difficult in finding accessories. My second one is not that fancy but it has a #2 Morse taper and a 1"x8tpi headstock. You might look at a midi lathe. There are a couple with 12" swing.

Mike Henderson
09-27-2009, 6:02 PM
For a used lathe, look for a Jet 1236. 12" swing and up to 36" in length. Variable speed (Reeves drive). They sold a bunch of those lathes so you can usually find them used. They're a good starter lathe when you go beyond the mini-lathes. I paid $350 for mine, used.

There's a few things you may want to do to upgrade a stock 1236 but you can use it stock. (The stock tool rest is cast iron - get a good steel one. Get a good live center tailstock. Eventually get a chuck.)

And, of course, you'll need lathe tools and a way to sharpen them. I use the Wolverine setup on an 8" grinder.

Figure on double the lathe cost for the total cost, and that might be low if you get a really good deal on the lathe. But ask your question in the turners' forum - you'll get better advice and maybe someone will be looking to upgrade and make you a deal on their old lathe.

Mike

Cliff Rohrabacher
09-27-2009, 9:25 PM
First decide what sort of turning you want to do.
Itty bitty stuff?
Bowls the size of a coffee table?
Table legs and chair spindles?
It makes a big difference.

Shawn Stennett
09-27-2009, 10:39 PM
The one that we are going to look at tommorow is a Delta Midi lathe Model 46-250. What I am really asking is what do I look for to make sure that nothing is wrong with it.

Stephen Saar
09-27-2009, 11:32 PM
Well what I would look for is to see how smooth the machine runs, it shouldn't really vibrate all that much. I would also check to make sure the tail stock and the head stock are in alignment, although you can usually adjust the alignment if it's off. Have the seller mount a piece of wood in the lathe and see how it turns. If the piece mounted is mounted correctly it should be moving very smoothly. Check for any play in the device, and also for the basic stuff like rust, etc....

I'm sure some people here can give better advice about more specific stuff to look for, but that is what I would look for in any used lathes I was looking at buying.

Reed Gray
09-28-2009, 12:27 AM
I looked you up on a map, and it looks like you might be between Dallas/Fort Worth, and San Antonio. Should be turners clubs in both towns. Check out the AAW web site for club listings. If you are headed to either town, attend a club meeting, and ask about used lathes. Some one almost always has one for sale, and tools as well. Probably get better quality. Of course, the demos are worth more than any DVD and most have mentoring programs.

What to look for depends as much on how much you want to drop into the vortex as anything else. I think the Jet 1220 VS (variable speed) is better than the 1236 with the Reeves drive. Several nice variable speed units out there. Changing belts to change speed isn't too much of a problem, and a cheaper option just to find out if you like turning.

robo hippy

Shawn Stennett
09-28-2009, 11:44 PM
thank you for the idea, def. something we will look into.

RL Johnson
09-29-2009, 9:56 PM
I see that there are four Buffalo, Texas towns. Which county are you in? Coleman, Mills, Leon or Henderson?
I also just received my Rockler flyer in the mail the new Delta 46-460 variable speed lathe is on sale at $509.99. If this is out of your price range the 5 speed Excelsior is $249.99. Whatever lathe you choose will not be enough if your wife really get into turning. Once she enters the vortex there is always a bigger and better lathe for her to lust over.

Shawn Stennett
09-30-2009, 8:46 AM
I completly understand about the vortex that you speak off, I am caught in one of my own. I am in Leon County by the way. I am looking to try and find something cheap to see if she is really interested first.