PDA

View Full Version : bell ornament/where to buy wood??

John Nowack
09-27-2009, 10:20 AM
trying to make the "Marley turned" bell ornament from his website---Maple and walnut are used but I don't have either---I thought that using these woods would be less expensive than some of the exotic woods I have accumulated but walnut seems high $$

1. is there somewhere inexpensive to buy 3x3 walnut and maple--what I have seen is about $25 for each 12" piece so each ornament would cost at least $25 to $30 just to make as a gift

2. have some smaller Cocobolo blanks and other exotics that I could cut in half to get what I need (at least they are paid for and just sitting there)---Is there an issue with gluing an oily wood like cocobolo to maple? Is that a waste of an exotic wood? (price was about the same as the Walnut I see

sorry long question---will post some pics to make up for it---working 80 to 90 hours a week so have not been on in a while---

Paul Atkins
09-27-2009, 2:10 PM
Got firewood? These pieces seem pretty small, so there ought to be plenty of free wood around. Fruitwood would be nice for the dark part and there's got to be maple trees in Tulsa. Getting something dry enough might be your biggest problem, but then again these are small pieces. Madrone is pretty good to turn as is mesquite. Start asking for a piece here and there and soon you'll have too much to turn in your lifetime. Not that I would know-----

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2009, 2:16 PM
Use what you have available and stain the darker wood?....

Jon Behnke
09-27-2009, 3:09 PM
How about trying a Curt Fuller style ornament? I've made a bunch of these and they really stand out and are fun to do. Here's the thread to his instructions: http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=98860

I start out with 1" x 1.5" pieces of wood (Curt uses pen blanks) and some 1/8" thick veneer. I use a Dubby sled to cut the segments, it's a simple glue up. Attached is a couple I've done.

Kenneth Hertzog
09-27-2009, 9:55 PM
John
you still needing the wood?
I do have some that size.
ken

Mark P. Brown
09-28-2009, 9:16 PM
John, you might try Powers Saw Mill. It is east on 412 at exit P. They have a scrap pile that they will let you go through. Prices are right $10.00 a pickup load. They also have kiln dried wood at good prices. PM me your phone number and I can give you a few more details. Maybe even a cup of coffee.
Mark