PDA

View Full Version : New Turner

mickey cassiba
09-27-2009, 10:17 AM
Good references for new wood turner? Zero experience with wood. Most of what I read on this forum is light years ahead of me. My metal working experience doesn't seem to cross over to hand held tools, etc.
Thanks loads,
Mick

Richard Madison
09-27-2009, 10:28 AM
Mickey,
Welcome to the "vortex". How deep south Texas? There are many turners in our state and many clubs, so the first step might be to check the AAW site for a club near you. Many clubs have mentoring programs that would boost you up the learning curve in a hurry.

mickey cassiba
09-27-2009, 10:37 AM
Hi Richard,
Mission TX...can just about see Mexico from my back door. Do you know of any groups in the RGV?
Mickey

Scott Conners
09-27-2009, 2:38 PM
Mickey, welcome to SMC!
I'd start with the AAW - http://www.woodturner.org/
They have lists of local clubs, there is probably one near you, and is a really great resource.
I'd also recommend some DVDs, such as Jimmy Clewes - Back to Basics, Bill Grumbine - Turned Bowls Made Easy, and Richard Raffan - Turning Wood (which has a companion book).

Steve Schlumpf
09-27-2009, 3:16 PM
Mickey - Welcome to the Creek! When first starting out - everything seems over your head! Great thing about the Creek is that we believe in helping each other! So - ask lots of questions!

Have to agree with Richard - get with a local turning club ASAP. Having someone walk you through the correct way to turn will save you hours of frustration and simplify the whole turning thing. It is not hard - just takes a little time learning how to properly use the tools.

Have fun and remember to ask lots of questions!

mickey cassiba
09-27-2009, 5:02 PM
Thanks all...been checking around and the only wood working group I can find local is a carving group. E-mailed their site this morning, hoping someone there is also a turner. All the guilds and groups I could find in a google search were quite a drive, I think Houston was the closest...half a days drive for me. Guess I'll stick to the u-tubes, public library, and such. Nothing like face to face though.

ROY DICK
09-27-2009, 6:08 PM
Mickey,
If you can't get a face to face, I would get some of the videos listed above.
Welcome to the Creek.

Roy

Bernie Weishapl
09-27-2009, 6:18 PM
Welcome to SMC and to turning.

RL Johnson
09-27-2009, 8:06 PM
Mickey
SWAT will be holding their symposium October 16-18 in Wichita Falls. There will be vendors as well as well know demonstrators, Stuart Batty, Mike Mahoney, and Jimmy Clewis as just a few. Go to swaturners.org for more information. You have missed saving some money as early registration has closed. This woud be the best way to see some demonstrations and ask questions.
Ther is a club in Edinburg and at the extreme end there is the Rio Grande club. Best of luck in your turning endevor.

alex carey
09-27-2009, 9:50 PM
Welcome to the forum, happy turning. Looking forward to your first projects.

Mike Minto
09-28-2009, 10:03 AM
mickey, i would think your metal working experience would come in handy in woodworking, especially regarding the lathe. did you not use a metal lathe? lots of folks here make some of their own tools, and any experience with a metal lathe / welding could be very valuable here regarding that. mike

mickey cassiba
09-28-2009, 2:40 PM
mickey, i would think your metal working experience would come in handy in woodworking, especially regarding the lathe. did you not use a metal lathe? lots of folks here make some of their own tools, and any experience with a metal lathe / welding could be very valuable here regarding that. mike
I did indeed run an engine lathe daily for about 4 years, but not much welding. My problem with the wood turning (I think) is that I lack the security blanket of a rigid tool post, cross slide, etc. Not much hand held tooling in metal work. Of course I was pretty antsy when I started turning metal too. All those little blue chips jumping out at me gave me the willys. One of my mentors told me that an engine late was designed as a test of personal fortitude. Ya gotta be brave to let those hot little critters jump on you and still get the job done. I imagine taking one on the chin from a skew handle is much the same thing. I am studying the different clearance angles and reliefs used in wood tooling, and should I get near some machine tools will be making some tooling. Probably not in the near future though.
Mickey

Richard Madison
09-28-2009, 6:44 PM
Mickey,
For me the single biggest difference going from metal to wood is that you typically ride the bevel of a gouge when turning wood.

Dan Forman
09-28-2009, 8:19 PM
Ya gotta be brave to let those hot little critters jump on you and still get the job done. I imagine taking one on the chin from a skew handle is much the same thing.
Mickey

Mickey---Most of us are lucky enough not to have "taken one on the chin from a skew", which I imagine is a relatively rare occurrence. On the other hand, I'm certain that we have all had some nasty catches with that particular implement, which can be unsettling, but doesn't require dental work or reconstructive surgery.

Dan

mickey cassiba
09-28-2009, 8:56 PM
Mickey,
For me the single biggest difference going from metal to wood is that you typically ride the bevel of a gouge when turning wood.
Really?? P'raps that's why the muzzle of my cannon chipped up on me. I was leading with the top of the tool?
I've received a few leads on turning groups local to me...I'll get it figgered out eventually. Heck, I've got the rest of my life, right?
Thanks,
Mick

mickey cassiba
09-29-2009, 9:10 PM
Thanks All!!! With help from ya'll, and a few others, I've connected with a local group, and will start practical education in a couple weeks. Hope to be able to start putting out some stuff in a while. And if I can get the Gol-durned computer fixed, hope to show off a little. Still can't load up pictures from the camera, but I have another friend who's getting me up to speed on that issue.
Great to have friends...and better to count ya'll among 'em
Mickey