PDA

View Full Version : Ok I have to bite the bullet

Keith Christopher
09-18-2004, 8:24 PM
my bandsaw is no more. :( it served me well) Grizzly 14" it was not without it's quirks though. so I am shopping. I was looking at the delta X5 and perhaps the Jet 14". but over all I am undecided. I do not need an 18" saw so I'm thinking the 14"s with the riser block. so here is my question. is this is a bad purchase (I haven't made it yet but I am thinking about it!)

http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/064.cfm?

Looking for any input.

Bruce Page
09-18-2004, 8:46 PM
Keith, the October issue of American Woodworker has a bandsaw review that includes most of the 14” saws.
To quote, “If your budget is from $400 to $500, the choice is easy. We recommend the Grizzly G0555. It’s a good, basic machine and can take a riser block for a full 12 in. of resaw capacity.”

Tom LaRussa
09-18-2004, 9:56 PM
so here is my question. is this is a bad purchase (I haven't made it yet but I am thinking about it!)
http://www.grizzly.com/catalog/2004/064.cfm?
Looking for any input.

I love my G0555. I've never seen another bandsaw with the same quality and mix of features for anything approaching the price. It was very easy to set up -- for example, I set the wheels to coplanar in about 3 minutes just by tightening the tracking knob a tad -- and it cuts beautifully.

Keith Christopher
09-18-2004, 10:22 PM
Ok well I just placed my order on Grizzly's WWW site. Thanks for the info !

Kent Cori
09-18-2004, 11:03 PM
Keith,

Trust me, you're going to love your new G0555. I hope you ordered the riser block right away if you are planning to do any resawing. Otherwise, you'll end up with a bunch of too short blades.

I added the riser block, a selection of Timberwolf blades and an Iturra spring to mine. The spring was about the only thing that American Woodworker felt was weak on the machine and they were spot on. The new Iturra spring (3/4 x 3 1/2) has made a world of difference in the resaw performance and best of all it only cost $14,50, Oh yeah, I also added one of their wheel brushes ($5.50) and a zero clearance insert.