View Full Version : Saws from LV

Brian Ashton
09-27-2009, 7:16 AM
I'm looking for a rip and cross cut saw... Was wondering if anyone has heard anything out of LV releasing anything in the near future.

lowell holmes
09-27-2009, 9:49 PM
LV also sell Mike Wenzloff saws.

Brian Ashton
09-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Trust me I've been looking at them. But I like what LV is doing, they're pretty much my go to tool store. They make very functional (often much improved) tools at a good price. I'm not looking for a saw were I would have a conniption if it fell off the bench on to the concrete floor. Over the years I've gotten rid of most of the "collectable" tools (can't bare to have them fall of the bench type tools) and replaced them with LV, and the odd LN (only because LV didn't have one when I was needing it...). Or I made the tool myself but saws are not in the cards to be made right now.

On a slight tangent I have a record 311 in extremely good condition, still has the sticker on the front, I've replaced with a couple LV planes. It's in the sort of condition you can't afford to have it fall off the bench. Anyone interested... Probably trade for some other woodworking tools...

Don Dorn
09-28-2009, 7:16 AM
I can only speak to the rip saw - I'm very happy with mine. The kerf is very thin, but it cuts both clean and fast. On pine, I have to be very careful or I'll slide past the marking gauge line after the third stroke - and that includes the start stroke.

Some don't like the futuristic design but that is the least of my concern as the backstrap is very ridgid and the handle is very comfortable in the hand aiding in nice straight lines. If I needed a crosscut saw, I wouldn't hesitate to buy the LV. I thank them for making a quality saw at a reasonable price.

Danny Thompson
09-28-2009, 10:59 AM
Of course, there is the Batman dovetail saw released last year (I think this is the one Don mentions above).

Two similarly modeled saws were introduced at the August Woodworking in America. The new saws include a fine tooth (20 tpi) dovetail saw and and 16tpi crosscut small carcase saw. Here is a link to Chris Schwarz's blog post about them. Apparently, larger carcase saws are in the works:

http://blog.woodworking-magazine.com/blog/New+Veritas+Backsaws+At+Woodworking+In+America.asp x