PDA

View Full Version : Granite fireplace question.

John Ness
09-26-2009, 8:04 PM
Hello,

I am going to redo the fireplace hearth (outside of the fireplace on the floor). I am going to use black granite from HD and paint fill with titanium white ink.

I have never done a floor application before, so I am wondering if there is a need to seal the tiles after engraving?

As a test, I engraved a tile, filled it white and poured red wine as well as rubbed a charred board over the image. All seemed to come off fine without and staining left behind. The sample tile was not sealed.

Since this is my first time, I would appreciate any input as to the sealing requirement (if needed) as well as the type of ground to use. I noticed the display at HD uses a 1/8" dark grey grount, which I think looks better than just butting the tiles together. Also, since this is an are directly in front of the fireplace, it will not get heavy foot traffic.

Thanks to anyone that can give me some input.

Thanks,
John Ness

Darren Null
09-26-2009, 8:32 PM
I'd be worried about heat if you're going to fill it with acrylic paint. You might be better off just burning the granite and not filling it. I'm thinking discolouration over long periods of time, as well as possible marks caused by 'lively wood' leaving the fireplace still smouldering.

Bill Cunningham
10-01-2009, 10:02 PM
My experience has been that the white oil paint, particularly if wet down with a finger dipped in paint thinners, will soak into the stone quite well. Once it sits for a few days, (you can speed it up with a heat gun) you can seal it. This should protect the stone and paint for quite a while.. I also like to use some good polymer car polish as a final touch..

Mark Ross
10-02-2009, 8:10 AM
If there are kids in the house, in addition to the red wine test, I suggest grape and cherry koolaid for stain testing.