PDA

View Full Version : Mitre Jig

Keith Christopher
09-18-2004, 7:41 PM
Much to my embarassment I am still using the mitre Jig that cam with my TS! I true it up every tme and I get good cuts, but I am thinking I need another one as it is getting sloppy in the track. Any recommendations from you all ?

Mark Singer
09-18-2004, 8:29 PM
The Fasttrack or Kreg...they are the same....really good!

John Miliunas
09-18-2004, 10:08 PM
Jointech's Smart Miter. I have an Incra 2000, which I hardly even touch since I got the Smart Miter! :cool:

Bart Leetch
09-19-2004, 12:42 AM
So why not purchase a miter bar from Rockler it has allen set screws on one edge & ball bearings on the other edge that are adjusted with the allen screws so you bar fits snug in the miter slot. Cost about $12. :)

Carole Valentine
09-19-2004, 12:48 AM
I use the Accumiter that happened to be included with my saw when I bought it at auction. Am getting ready to make a miter sled.

sascha gast
09-19-2004, 3:20 AM
i'll agree with the smart mitre, i love mine. i also build a mitre jig out of solid cast aluminium. about $250 in material and 2 nights of work. i drilled and tapped everything, so i can adjust the angle to make it perfect. and yes, i got inspired by david marks's jig. mine's a bit bigger, works absolutely great.

sascha

Michael Ballent
09-19-2004, 3:23 AM
Do you happen to offer plans for this or did you get them from David Marks? I think that he offers them for sale. Was it difficult to build?

sascha gast
09-19-2004, 4:56 AM
i didn't have any plans, i just built it. wasn't hard, just lost of drilling and tapping. didn't have metal drill bits, so my brad point bids didn't look so good after. so i just went and bought new ones.

Dave Bartley
09-19-2004, 7:57 AM
I finally changed to the Osborne EB3, and very happy with it. You don't need a slide rule to figure out how to set it up. It also can be set up to make repeat cuts up to 42". Cost is about $170.00.

Gredo Goldenstein
09-19-2004, 8:07 AM
I have to also applaud Jointech's Smart Miter. I was at a woodworking show last April and picked up an Incra. I took it back to the Incra guy the next day and bought a Smart Miter. I love it. Although it's a little spendy compared to other miter possibilities, it does a lot and does it well. Most of the time I use it set at 0 degrees to cut numerous pieces to exact same length.

JayStPeter
09-19-2004, 10:26 AM
I have 3 things I use:

1. SmartMiter - Great piece of equipment. Repeatable accuracy. But, only 12" depth capable. It does have 48" length with a stop adjustable to thousanths of an inch.
2. Incra 1000 - Nice accurate miter gauge. I would buy either it or the new cheaper Incra if I needed one again. I use this for forming tennons and dados/rabbets in the short direction and quick operations. My favorite feature is the light weight and small footprint. Before I got the SmartMiter it proved very accurate. The flip-stop works great, but the Jointech stop is fantastic.
3. Homemade huge crosscut sled - I made this to crosscut panels up to 36" for cabinets. I tossed my smaller homemade sled when I got the SmartMiter.

All in all, I think I have the best solution other than a sliding table.

Jay

Mike Linne
09-19-2004, 11:53 AM
Question for Smartmiter owners: Can the smart miter be used on both sides of the blade, or only the left side?

sascha gast
09-19-2004, 2:25 PM
left side only.

JayStPeter
09-19-2004, 2:34 PM
Question for Smartmiter owners: Can the smart miter be used on both sides of the blade, or only the left side?

Sascha answered correctly. But, the SmartMiter can do +/-50 degrees. Since the pivot point is essentially at the edge of the blade, you lose no cut depth when you change the angle, unlike most miter gauges. While I have had reason to move my miter gauge to the right side (mitered cuts), I haven't found a reason that I would want the SmartMiter on the other side.

Jay

sascha gast
09-19-2004, 3:11 PM
same here, never had a reason, but if jointech would make one, i'd buy one to take advantage of my left tilt. compount mitres would sound good, and that's how much i love my smart mitre.

sascha