PDA

View Full Version : Lathe repair ideas..???

Mark Hix
09-26-2009, 7:32 PM
I somehow cross treaded the tail screw and the tail spindle today. The tailstock slipped out on an out of balance piece and the wood jammed between the tailstock and the tool rest. It was not going fast, evidently, just not a good hold on the tailstock end. Jet 1236.

I am looking for ideas on freeing them up w/o destroying them. I sent Jet an email today for parts prices in case I can't seperate them. I don't have alot of hope.

True love did not go for the new Powermatic as a fix. Didn't hurt to try.:D

ROY DICK
09-26-2009, 8:23 PM
Mark,
Anyway you could post a picture?
Thanks.

Roy

Mark Hix
09-26-2009, 9:16 PM
You can't really see anything, the screw is about 1/3 of the way in. I took it out of the tailstock, you can't move it at all, it still looks straight. Cross threading is the only thing I could think of that might have happened. Visually, it looks fine.

I had been using it for the last couple of hours on some ornaments and scoops, nothing hard, wanted some variety so I mounted a large peice of juniper on a spur to cut a tenon. The tailstock end still had some bark and it slipped.

Mark Hubl
09-26-2009, 9:43 PM
Good luck. My mini jet got a little crossed up. The thread is pretty fine so once crossed not much I could do. Good news was one call to Jet and the parts were on the way.

I probably am a bit on the lazy side and don't prep the the headstock end enough.:rolleyes: The tailstock is really not meant to be cranked down to make the headstock work. My bad.

Dennis Ford
09-27-2009, 11:03 AM
I don't quite understand, are you saying it was fine before the wood slipped off the tailstock? If it was not cross threaded when you tightened it, I don't believe even a hard hit could have cross threaded it. It could have been hit hard enough to jam it, bend it etc, so perhaps the terminology does not matter. I would try some penetrating oil and a lot of gentle tapping before getting rough. The vibration from tapping will sometimes help the penetrating oil work its way in. If that does not work try heating the thing up. Heat will ruin paint and soften any hardened steel parts so it is a last resort.

ROY DICK
09-27-2009, 12:09 PM
Mark,
http://www.etoolclub.com/partfiles/man_708352.pdfhttp://.
The above link should be to your manual, if not you will get the idea.
Try removing part # 48-2, then #49 "SHOULD" come off.
Then see if parts:#'s 46,47, and 48-1 will slide out. If it does then you will have a better idea of what to do next.
Sorry if you have already done this.
Please keep us posted. And good luck.

Roy

ROY DICK
09-27-2009, 12:14 PM
Ok that link just takes you to their main page. Click on woodwooking, then wood turning and scroll down a ways and the manual will be there.

Roy

Mark Hix
09-27-2009, 5:58 PM
I have not tried the penetrating oil yet. I will give that a shot. I have it disassembled down to the two parts.

It is older, I don't know how old, it was a classroom/demo lathe for a woodcraft store and I bought it a couple of years ago and have put alot of hours on it myself. I probably should have replaced the tail screw when I got it. I replaced the E spring clip and there was alot of wear on the threads already.

Education is a wonderful thing.

Jeff Nicol
09-27-2009, 6:56 PM
Mark, Put up some pictures so we can see what is going on, I like the hands on approach but pictures might do the trick.

Jeff