PDA

View Full Version : My first leg....

John Keeton
09-26-2009, 5:49 PM
Thought I would post my first real attempt at spindle turning. Actually, I am quite hesitant to post in this forum. I am not a regular here. I stop in every now and then to look at some of the threads, particularly recently. But, I rarely post here. Having no experience in "round things", I have little to contribute. So, I feel like a "taker" imposing into your world for whatever help can be offered, so please excuse the intrusion.

Some of you may recall that I wanted to get a lathe to do legs, etc. for my furniture projects, and against good advice from many, I bought the HF 34706. Probably out of my ignorance of what constitutes quality, I have been quite pleased with this lathe.

Anyway, since getting the lathe about 3 weeks ago, I haven't had much time. We are trying to finish up some outside projects, and other things have gotten in the way. But, over the past few days, I have stolen an hour or so here and there to practice with the skew, and gouges.

Today, I decided to try a "leg" just to see if I was making progress with the learning curve. Had some poplar laying around, so I squared up a piece (with hand planes!) and took some general dimensions from a hutch/secretary I built using antique legs.

This was the result -

Not the best. I don't care for some of the dimensions. The poplar is about 2" square, and the model was about 2-5/8" square. I should have reduced the length of the spooled areas to give them more roundness.

Please be critical here, and give me any comments you feel helpful. I can take it!;) The kinks will need to be worked out before undertaking "the real thing."

David Christopher
09-26-2009, 5:52 PM
John, it looks pretty dadgum good to me.....I think youre just joking about beeing a rookie...looks like youve been around a lathe before

Steve Schlumpf
09-26-2009, 6:44 PM
John - please understand that the turning forum is open to everyone who turns or wants to turn - so, please, never feel intimidated and never hesitate to post your turnings or ask questions - we are here to help!

I am impressed with your first turned leg! I do not do much spindle turning anymore but really like what you have turned! As far as a critique - very hard to do when I have no idea if you are trying to copy an existing leg or just experimenting with design options. From the photos - sure looks like you have a good grasp of the basics when it comes to tool control.

I believe the concept of practice - practice - practice will help you more than any critique I can offer but sure feel you are doing exceptionally well for the amount of time you have been turning!

Looking forward to seeing your next turning!

Ken Fitzgerald
09-26-2009, 6:45 PM
John,

Pretty doggone good considering you've only been turning for 3 weeks. Much better than I could have done at that stage in my turning.

Now for some suggestions.

Grab some cardboard or some scrap plywood. Make a full sized drawing of a leg you want to turn. Write diameter dimensions of each of the prominant points on one side of the leg.... on the other side of the leg, put distance to one end from each of the prominant points. Now using the drawing turn one.

Take some hardboard or 1/4" plywood and make yourself a full-size gauge of the curved areas.....something you can place against the one you are turning....while it's still on the lathe....in the appropriate area and say..."I need to take a little off here"...mark that area with a pencil and turn it off.

Then turn 4 of them using the drawing and the gauges you made. Practice this and the practice items don't have to be big......Remember, you will never get 4 exactly alike.....they can be very, very similar but never exactly alike.

You are turning what I consider the most difficult type of turning there is John......manually turned multples........Any one can turn one of something and make "design modifications" should the need arise. It takes a lot more skill, discipline, and patience, IMHO, to turn manually turned multiples...in this case, spindles.....Much more difficult IMHO

You are showing great potential John. Keep at it my friend!

Carroll Courtney
09-26-2009, 7:30 PM
John those legs looks as if they were turned by a veteran wood turner having yrs experence.Dang those are inspiring---Carroll

John Keeton
09-26-2009, 7:32 PM
Thanks, guys, for the comments. I probably have about 6-7 hours in on practice time prior to today, and my biggest problem is consistency and predictability. It is getting better, and the "skates" and "digins" are not as often.

David, about 20 years ago, I bought an old used Craftsman lathe - the little one that is at every yard sale. It came with some tools, but that was way before I knew much about sharpening anything. Seems I recall turning a couple of pieces of 2x, but had great difficulty with it. It got shoved over in the corner and eventually I gave it away. I hadn't touched a lathe since, although I am sure my general skill levels have improved over the years, and at least I now know what "sharp" is!!:D

Steve, wish I could tell you what I was trying to accomplish! Generally, my intent was to replicate some design elements on the other leg.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=114245&d=1238274332 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=114245&d=1238274332)

I knew I couldn't "copy" it as the stock dimension was different. What I didn't account for was the elongation of the spooled areas when I used the same length dimensions. That made it difficult to get the roundness I was after.

Ken's idea is obviously the way to go, and that is what I will do on the next one. I have some more poplar, and will try some shorter sections, and duplication, before using "good" wood!

I kind of like the octagon shank on the leg, and it was fairly easy to accomplish. It may end up being a design element in the next table project. Only trouble is that it would be in the same room with the hutch/secretary, so I am not sure how that would work.

ROY DICK
09-26-2009, 8:19 PM
John,
Way to go. And congrats, that is very good.
BTW when I need some advice on flat work you will be one of the folks I would turn. No pun intended.
Keep up the turning.

Roy

Richard Madison
09-26-2009, 9:46 PM
It's a pretty sorry finial John, but a darn nice looking leg, especially with only a little practice. A year from now you will be scary good.

charlie knighton
09-27-2009, 1:03 AM
i like your table, John after you get some more practice you may want to do some multi-axis turning (Queen Ann) for a leg

i have never made a leg for a table but what you could try is to form the leg round and then move the axix to one side, turn part of the leg away and have the Queen Ann style of leg

Paul Atkins
09-27-2009, 2:52 AM
Nice job. I turn spindles all day long and poplar isn't my favorite, but you nailed it I think. I like the octagon too. Try some soft maple next and then some rock maple.

John Keeton
09-27-2009, 7:26 AM
Charlie, the Queen Anne look isn't a style that either my wife or I care for - though there have been some beautiful examples shown here on SMC. Personally, I think a QA highboy (or lowboy for that matter) is a real piece of art. But, for my personal tastes, I don't have a desire to build that style. The offset turning could be a real skill test, though!

Paul, since you are a spindle turner, what tools do you use most? I have the 8 piece HF (http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=47066) tool set. Seems that there are some tools that I could add that would make this job easier. But, I don't yet know enough to realize the insufficiency of what I have!:confused:

Richard and Roy, thanks for the comments. So far, I seem to enjoy the lathe work, though I have to admit it doesn't have the lure yet of the flat world!! Richard, on the finial, were you referring to the end of the leg? If so, what suggestions do you have? Thanks.

Rob Cunningham
09-27-2009, 8:59 AM
Nice looking leg John. Spindle turning takes a lot of practice but it looks like you are off to a great start.
Give it time, the vortex will suck you in :eek:

Walt Caza
09-27-2009, 11:05 AM
Hi John,
I'm too new on the lathe to offer anything more than...
I'm impressed with your early spindle turning efforts!

And I think it takes a little courage to share them with
all the dab hands around here...
(at least, it does for me...)

Keep improving, and keep giving us a peek
have fun,
Walt

Ken Fitzgerald
09-27-2009, 11:32 AM
John,

If I was going to do a lot of spindle turning, the minimum tools I would use would be:

2 skews - 1- 1" or larger...one smaller say 5/8" or 3/4"

2 - 3/8" spindle gouges - one sharpened to a "detail gouge" shape and one classical shape....maybe a 1/4" spindle gouge.

1 - 3/4" or larger roughing gouge

You know my feelings about skews so I won't waste your time there. It's my favorite spindle tool.

The gouges....the detail gouge has a sharper point and allows you to get into tighter spaces and cut smaller details Cindy Drosda takes it to an even greater exteme and that's what she uses on her beautiful finials.

The classically sharpened spindle gouge gives me more control when I'm trying to roll a bead.

The roughing gouge...some folks like it for roughing...removing lots of material rapidly. I prefer my skews but that's me.

Steve Mawson
09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
John,
Looks like you are off to a great start. I to like the look of the leg you did with the flat parts of the leg, that is unique. I have done what Ken suggested when making sets of legs. I usually keep the first one above the lathe to make continuous comparisons. Once made a book shelf with 5 shelves which required 20 spindles plus the feet. Even if they are not a perfect match they can be close enough that you cannot tell where they are off without very close inspection. Good luck on the next one.

John Keeton
09-28-2009, 8:04 AM
Thanks Walt, I just look forward to the point where I can get consistent with my cuts - still a lot of luck involved!

Steve, my first challenge will be getting two of them similar! It will be awhile before I would ever attempt 20:eek:

Ken, sounds like I need another 3/8" spindle gouge, and a 1/4" - where do you suggest for decent HSS - nothing fancy?

Also, how does one use a gouge to roll a bead?? I have been doing that with the skew leading with the long point - carefully!

Wilbur Pan
09-28-2009, 8:53 AM
Hi John,

That's a great job on that table leg. The only issues that I see are design issues. Clearly, you have the technical issues mastered. The spooled area looks good to me, but only you can determine if it is rounded enough for you.

Here are some things to consider when you're making duplicates. First of all, remember that when you are making duplicate spindle turnings for furniture, for the most part those elements are not going to be right up against each other, and so minor variations in curvature won't be seen. The eye will more easily pick up variations in where the transition points are located vertically on the leg, but if one bead is slightly more round than the other one, it won't be obvious.

You can also do the trick of making four table legs, taking the two that match each other most closely, and put those up front. Very few people will notice the back two legs, unless you are in the habit of having woodworkers over at your house a lot. ;)

As far as tools, I really like Thompson tools (http://www.thompsonlathetools.com/). They use CPM steel which holds an edge for a LONG time. This is fancier than HSS, but the edge retention is really worth it. The Thompson 3/8" spindle gouge is $40, which is the same price as a Sorby 3/8" spindle gouge. Thompson tools are sold unhandled, so you have to make your own, but that will allow you to customize the handle to your liking, and tool handle making is great practice for spindle turning.

The motion for turning a bead with a spindle gouge is very similar to using a skew. It's a combination of rolling the tool, moving it laterally, and raising the handle, all at once. Like with skew chisels, smaller beads are easier to do than larger ones -- at least, that's been my experience. I've been rolling beads with a skew chisel with the short point down.

Ken Fitzgerald
09-28-2009, 8:57 AM
John,

While riding the bevel, you engage the cutting edge and roll the tool...left or right.

If you are comfortable with the skew that's great. Even better to my way of thinking but there are times when I just have a "feeling' and will switch to a spindle gouge. The 1/4" gouge will allow you to turn smaller / narrower coves.

The "detail gouge" grind on one spindle gouge will allow you to get into tighter coves and areas.

I had a number of "Robert Larson" tools given to me and I found a hardware store about 30 miles away that stocks them. To me in Idaho, 30 miles away is local. Robert Larson tools are Sheffield steel tools manufactured in England but the handles are installed here in the US. They are less in expensive than brand names like Sorby, Crown, etc.

A number of turners are quite happy with Penn State's Benjamin's Best offerings.